Chris Martin to Replace David Nugent?

DazaDunn

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

What do you think Lampard valued in Nugent's play? Do you think Martin could do the same? Answer  Noooooooooooo!

I rate Martin highly but a change is style of play would be required. Martin's best hope would be under a new manager.

I think that Lampard valued 3 things from Nugent:

1) His craft and experience in managing games out / the ref / changing things when he came on / leading and calming others when he on the pitch.

2) His workrate and effort. Lampard knew that he'd put in a shift and put the defenders under pressure.

3) That he would do exactly what his manager had told him to do when he came on.

In my opinion, the second and third are also the reasons why Lampard played Bennett - when he did so.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Yes please,  hes our player lets try him. This season wasn't good for him as he was seriously ill in pre season at a time frank was choosing his squad.

4 minutes ago, Shang said:

Martin is a striker for teams who like to play second balls. Long direct balls to feet or to his chest to on running midfielders.

Nugent is a striker who runs the channels and presses, not necessarily there to score the goals but to stretch the play and get others to burst through the gaps he leaves behind.

Martin is a Llorente type for Spurs, not sure he fits in any of our game plans (though I could imagine him alongside Marriott could work out rather well)

Huddlestone to Martin, Martin lays off to Marrriott....GOOOOAL!

Simple game.

58 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If he would have looked good Why was he out on loan? 

He was ill pre/start of season - and needed games to get match fit, which he wouldn't be guaranteed here. Plus unlike lots of our squad he could command a loan fee.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I think there’s a lot who would like to see him in that role. A steady, respected head to have round too. Think wages are his biggest issue now, but I wouldn’t be against seeing him round a bit more at all.

Its a good debating point, one that’s as credible as anything we will have over summer to be honest, but most of the time on here any Martin related discussion ends up with an OTT reactions that spark others to slanging matches rather than anything sensible. My advice is to be ignore the responses where people sound like stroppy teenagers!

You mean go to another forum?

Not a chance, firstly for Martin to get anywhere near his best he needs to be in the team on a regular basis. Without being at that level, you get the Martin of the past two seasons.

Secondly you need a team to be set up to his strengths, football has moved on from when he was at his best, teams not press from the front, forwards need to run the channels, he will not fit into our plans next year.

I hope Martin can get back to his former self, but it doubt it will be with us, he needs a fresh start with a new team that make him the focal point, shame but players (if not fans) move on.

I've said this before but here I go again - the way some of our fans talk about Chris Martin you'd think he never did anything for us.

He's not asking if we should give Sammon another go, he's talking about a player who scored 20 goals for 2 seasons running when we hadn't had a 20 goal a season striker in 19 years. And he got 16 in the season after that.

We spent those 19 years moaning on "we need a 20 goal striker!" (trust me, I was there for those years, I remember), and now our fans talk about him like he's been nothing but a failure. 

Seems to me lots of our fans are spoilt.

11 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I've said this before but here I go again - the way some of our fans talk about Chris Martin you'd think he never did anything for us.

He's not asking if we should give Sammon another go, he's talking about a player who scored 20 goals for 2 seasons running when we hadn't had a 20 goal a season striker in 19 years. And he got 16 in the season after that.

We spent those 19 years moaning on "we need a 20 goal striker!" (trust me, I was there for those years, I remember), and now our fans talk about him like he's been nothing but a failure. 

Fans can both recognise that he was a good player for us, however it’s is unlikely he will hit them peaks again and it’s time to move on.  That’s not being spoilt just realistic. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Any number of reasons? How should I know? Maybe he wanted to go out? Maybe he has a bad attitude? Maybe Lamps just didn't fancy him? I can't answer, because I'm not Frank Lampard.

You trying to take on @Boycie ? Limited myself to one there see? Oh damn 

Split opinions which was expected but here’s my point. My point is if we’re low on money, why not explore this option before we use some of our limited cash. If it doesn’t look like it could work in pre season then no worries but if it works as a plan B it saves us having to pay a loan fee or even transfer fee for a replacement.

im not expecting the Martin of old, but I do believe he’d contribute as much or more than nuge.

We still own him and we still pay him

He can play centre forward in the championship especially in a team playing attacking football 

he was probably loaned out because he was paid a lot due to that last contract nonsense and we could get a loan fee which was needed.

i am not saying he should play every week/game but lampard clearly rotates his forwards and Martin is a different option and even under Rowett did a decent job as a substitute before being loaned out ( to be replaced by Jerome for £1.5 million and a massive slump in the form of the team )

marriott needs the ball in space to score and Martin has always created it for others.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Well said!!! 

Archived