Chris Martin to Replace David Nugent?

DazaDunn

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be against giving him a chance, but if he is one of the players on mega bucks I imagine we will try and get rid. In either case we've probably negotiated some stupid contract with him that means if he scores one more goal we have to pay him a bonus of £10 million like we seem to do with every other player.

I would be amazed if he ends up back in the first team picture, but to give the OP his due - in comparison to Nuge, he had a very similar season at Hull, so it's not an outrageous suggestion that he could contribute as much as Nuge did

David Nugent

Scored 2
Assists 1
1198  minutes played / 599 minutes per goal

Total Shots  28
Shots on target 12 / 43%

Chris Martin

Scored 2
Assists 1
1402  minutes played / 701 minutes per goal

Total Shots  14
Shots on target 9 / 64%

16 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I would be amazed if he ends up back in the first team picture, but to give the OP his due - in comparison to Nuge, he had a very similar season at Hull, so it's not an outrageous suggestion that he could contribute as much as Nuge did

David Nugent

Scored 2
Assists 1
1198  minutes played / 599 minutes per goal

Total Shots  28
Shots on target 12 / 43%

Chris Martin

Scored 2
Assists 1
1402  minutes played / 701 minutes per goal

Total Shots  14
Shots on target 9 / 64%

He'd have to contribute more though if we lost Nugent's energy in the role. Martin isn't going to close down and pull defenders around off-the-ball like Nugent does. 
So in order for Martin to get a role in the team over Nugent, he'd have to score/assist far more (which he has been capable of in the past, in fairness - I just think it'd be difficult if he wasn't starting every week, which he wouldn't be). 

You never know who's going to come out of pre-season smiling, and I certainly don't hold it against anyone that they're hopeful for a Chris Martin return, but I don't think it's likely. At all.

We had some good times with Martin, but he doesn’t fit into a Lampard side.

If jack Marriott isn’t starting due to his lack of application, then there’s no way Martin would be getting a game!

Lampard wants his strikers to be hard workers who will close down and get through plenty of running for the team.....Martin doesn’t do this and will be sent out on loan again or sold for a cut price fee if possible.

1 hour ago, DazaDunn said:

Before anyone jumps down my throat, it’s just a suggestion. Nuge has been used for his holdup play not his goals. I know Chrissy hasn’t been scoring for a while but his holdup play is still there. 

Instead of loaning Martin out again, why not use him for the Nugent role? In our system I would expect him to bag 7-10 for us as opposed to Nuges 2-5?

I think there’s a lot who would like to see him in that role. A steady, respected head to have round too. Think wages are his biggest issue now, but I wouldn’t be against seeing him round a bit more at all.

Its a good debating point, one that’s as credible as anything we will have over summer to be honest, but most of the time on here any Martin related discussion ends up with an OTT reactions that spark others to slanging matches rather than anything sensible. My advice is to be ignore the responses where people sound like stroppy teenagers!

If he makes the same (lack of) effort in training that he did in his last match for us at PP he'll get nowhere near the team - and rightly not

If he puts in a shift in training he'd be an interesting option alongside Marriott and / or Waghorn.

The only two things nugent & Martin have in common is they were both decent four year ago and both rubbish now

Dont see the point in replacing someone that isnt very giid anymore with someone that isn't very good

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Martin would have looked good in our squad last season, with Mount and Wilson supporting him, he'd have had the ball at his feet, not lobbed over his shoulders. 

If he would have looked good Why was he out on loan? 

14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If he would have looked good Why was he out on loan? 

Any number of reasons? How should I know? Maybe he wanted to go out? Maybe he has a bad attitude? Maybe Lamps just didn't fancy him? I can't answer, because I'm not Frank Lampard.

2 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Before anyone jumps down my throat, it’s just a suggestion. Nuge has been used for his holdup play not his goals. I know Chrissy hasn’t been scoring for a while but his holdup play is still there. 

Instead of loaning Martin out again, why not use him for the Nugent role? In our system I would expect him to bag 7-10 for us as opposed to Nuges 2-5?

What do you think Lampard valued in Nugent's play? Do you think Martin could do the same? Answer  Noooooooooooo!

I rate Martin highly but a change is style of play would be required. Martin's best hope would be under a new manager.

Martin is a striker for teams who like to play second balls. Long direct balls to feet or to his chest to on running midfielders.

Nugent is a striker who runs the channels and presses, not necessarily there to score the goals but to stretch the play and get others to burst through the gaps he leaves behind.

Martin is a Llorente type for Spurs, not sure he fits in any of our game plans (though I could imagine him alongside Marriott could work out rather well)

Archived