Young players likely to break through

Duracell

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Didn't know you had friends at Gloucester Live ?

? Sorry was totally unaware it had been reported. And obviously I don't read GL. This was only over the weekend and only bothered sharing as people on here were putting him in their team next season. Might all be balls anyway.

Suspect we may see Max Bird alongside/behind Shinnie and A.N.Other in a Thorne way.

Would love to see Sibley, but suspect he may be farmed out on loan a la Luke Thomas, who may well come in to the first team.

MacDonald may well be an option as a reserve LB behind Malone/Forsyth.

Ravas might become the understudy keeper, I remember Lampard lavishing praise on him at the fans forum.

All speculative based on the gaps in the first team, will have a clearer picture when we announce the retained list.

9 hours ago, Duracell said:

I have complete trust that anyone good enough for the first team will make it.

Thanks for responses everyone, really good reading.

Tyree Wilson, what sort of player is he? He’s quite young so I guess he’s an extra year off being in the first team.

Lightning fast, skilful winger/attacking left full-back, always smiling!

On 29/05/2019 at 13:58, Duracell said:

Think the result at Wembley does change our use of the U23 side and below for next season. We will have to rely on these players again.

With that in mind, it would be good to start a discussion on these players: who’s likely to break through? Where do these players play? For many of us, they’re just names, so it’s great to hear fro posters who watch our younger teams more regularly.

I’ll start with Luke Thomas. I still have high hopes for him. Excellent dribbler, reasonably quick and excited the fans at Coventry. Replacement for Jozefzoon who may leave?

Yes it will be very interesting. I think the chairman has eluded to the likelihood of young players stepping up rather than any major spending. Having said that it would be a really big ask for a team blooding a number of U23 players to replicate this seasons achievements. Time will tell. 

On 29/05/2019 at 20:58, Will Hughes Hair said:

I've not seen a huge amount of them but 'd question if Bird was a CDM, but wouldn't question that he has a role to play next season.  I've always been a Thomas fan but having seen him a few times on Sky think he has work to do on his right foot and his physicality.  Sibley will also have a role to play as will four or five others.

Interestingly, mainly because; I've only seen him play once; he hasn't been mentioned by anyone else in the thread; and he's only 16, I have to say Archie Brown is my one to watch.  So many variables at such a young age, but if he can keep his head down, keep working hard and listen and learn I think he has every chance.

Of course, if either of the oracles that are @angieram and @SaintRam say I'm talking drivel, then I'm probably talking drivel ?

Sorry, I have only just seen this when @SaintRam replied as away at the moment. 

I don't get to see a lot of the under 18s 'live' as many matches in daytime or on a Saturday but I like what I've seen of Archie Brown. He certainly works really hard and doesn't know when to give up so very much a Lampard player in that respect. 

Morgan Whittaker,  in contrast, is a silent assassin - he coasts into position so quickly and the cross is made or the ball is in the back of the net before the opposition have realised!  

I think Bird will be a real play-maker in time. He has the vision but not yet the physicality to play that role regularly at Championship level.

Sibley though has strength as well as guile plus an ability to score. His big fault is his aggression - if he can channel that more productively then he will go far and hopefully take us with him.

There are so many great young players that it is hard to have a favourite - what a change from just a few seasons ago and it is one of the things that makes me so excited about our future. 

Someone I don't think has been mentioned yet, Dixon.

Not likely to make the 1st team picture anytime soon, but certainly one to keep an eye on as a all round combative midfielder with decent technical ability.

Looks a little behind some others stature wise, although competes well enough as it is, if he develops well physically could be another prospect

At the very least I'd expect him to have a career as a professional, even at a lower level.

45 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Someone I don't think has been mentioned yet, Dixon.

Not likely to make the 1st team picture anytime soon, but certainly one to keep an eye on as a all round combative midfielder with decent technical ability.

Looks a little behind some others stature wise, although competes well enough as it is, if he develops well physically could be another prospect

At the very least I'd expect him to have a career as a professional, even at a lower level.

It’s partly due to having at least 3 players with more potential than him in the same position (Bird, Sibley, Knight). We have another fantastic young lad stepping up to the U18s this season as well. Academy player of the year winner Matthews. 

I would back every single one of our U18s from this season to make it as professional footballers as long as they stay motivated enough. 

I’m going to make an effort to go to some U23 games this coming season. I am seriously excited, you don’t win trophies against your peers from prem teams unless there is something of substance there. Oh yes, the odd game where players hit a purple patch but what the 18’s and 23’s have done recently is club changing stuff if we take advantage and that is why I’m praying Jodie Morris hangs around. He knows his stuff with youngsters.  

On 30/05/2019 at 08:26, SaintRam said:

Archie Brown's another great talent at that age. Unsurprisingly, the U18 team that's top of the tree is full of very talented lads ? - I think stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't expect Brown to make any first team splashes this coming season. Of course, at the beginning of pre-season, a large number of youths will be mixed with the first team - and if they ace that little trial period, they'll be in the first team picture later on. Literally anyone could end up in contention. Youths are so unpredictable, it's actually really frustrating ?

On the couple of posts about Bird and his ability; it seems to me that Bird has been taken under Lampard's wing to some extent. I recall an interview where he said he'd being staying late to get some one-on-one time in. Maybe Frank sees something of himself in him?
He didn't look all together ready in his brief cameos this season, but maybe he'll be another example of how quickly young players can develop. Especially if such a special interest is going to continue to be taken in him.

I think Harry Kane sets the bench mark for young players who don’t look the part right away when they start playing first team football. His list of loan spells before becoming the player he is now at Spurs were more than underwhelming with very little goal return. I think for some young players their football intelligence matures later. 

This time last year I was convinced 2019/19 would be Timi Elsnik's breakthrough season and he'd swiftly become a star of the Championship. Two disappointing League Two loans and an expired contract - is it over for him with Derby? I still hope not. Though I see how badly Lampard wants intensity from his players and Elsnik looks languid and sometimes lazy, just as Matt Le Tissier used to. Both can fire in a goal out of the blue from 40 yards.

No one has mentioned Kyle McAllister that I saw. What a brilliant loan it was for him, returning home to St Mirren after Christmas to see if he could stay fit. The scored 3 goals, helped St Mirren stay up and got his first Scottish U21 call-up. It puts him right in the frame alongside Luke Thomas and Max Lowe.

Louie Sibley has looked an amazing 17 year old (going on 27) for some time. He has so much skill but he can also finish. For instance, pick this one out of the net!

But right now there seem loads. Knight and Macdonald on the bench at Wembley shows the faith the club has in them. Given all the talent we have, I'm surprised it's Max Bird who's had so many games, but several pundits seem to rate him. Then there are great comments on some of the other players in this thread.

Basically, I don't have a problem letting other people's contracts run down to make room as I'd rather trust the talent coming through than the players who've not quite been good enough to get us over the line.

I am most excited by Sibley too, however Lee Buchanan looks a very accomplished defender too. He has pace, good feet, can head and has a tackle on him reminiscent of my all time great Colin Todd! Whether he grows tall enough to be a first team centre half is one question, but he is very good at left back.

Having watched none of Kyle Mc at St Mitten, I'm barely qualified to comment on him but he didn't appear to make a huge impact for our 23s so not sure he'd ever improve us out wide

Thomas, on the other hand, will be a top player and should definitely be in the 18 next year based on his cov performances

I rate max lowe but all the signs appear to point to him being sold 

Bird to go on loan? Might be in the same boat as Bogle this year though I.e. Nobody will risk it because he's relatively unheard of 

Some of the other 23s who are 20/21 would probably benefit from a loan, particularly with 10 u18s stepping up. Would love to see how the likes of Cresswell, Mitchell-lawson and a few others cope with a league 1/league 2 season, Cresswell seems a real hard worker, might come out of nowhere and bang them in 

I think it's unlikely based on previous seasons (and a seemingly genuine desire from the club to compete for top 6) that any of the younger lads will get a go and the likes of sibley, Wilson, Buchanan, will probably get a full season of 23s football with similar, rare bench apps and joining first team training as they did this season 

Archived