Are we ready for possible promotion?

toddy

No offence to the op but this constantly repeated question is barmy and irritating beyond reason ,, others have jumped in and posted my thoughts on why it’s a daft question already thank god so I won’t point out the obvious but here’s my question 

Are we ready for non promotion? 

Are we ?

can our finances ( or those of other clubs) cope much longer with the strain of trying to compete in a division with no workable financial model?

can we hold on to a high profile young manager that will be in demand for his high profile and pulling power let alone the fact he s looking like he will be a very decent manager

can we hold on to our better players?

can we hold on to our best youngsters that show promise ?

can we hope to keep attracting the best poss youngsters to our club?

will our attendances drop year on year ?

will our fans become more cynical and critical ,less supportive and harder to play in front of?

shall I go on with the list or can we ffs drop all this we are not ready guff?

please please please

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, angieram said:

I think we're ready for a change! I would prefer the promotion challenge over the relegation one! 

@i-Ramand @Archied have posted my thoughts. 

Gives me time to concentrate on the task in hand - encouraging the team here in Swansea. 

Hope you have a cracking night and bring us 3 points home

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

More ready than Sheff Utd IMO. I expect they'll be another Cardiff.

I'd argue that we're more likely to be successful in the Prem with our style of play, as we've struggled against lower quality cloggers in this league. Given a bit more freedom to play, we could do OK.

We've relied heavily on quality loans this season and they (or like them) would probably have to be purchases in the summer, unless top 4 clubs could be persuaded to loan to fellow Prem opposition.

I am sure they would be more than happy being a "Cardiff" going into the last week of the season with still a chance to stay up.

3 hours ago, toddy said:

I used Fulham as the example as they won the play offs last summer- and had to also add a dozen new players to the squad.

which is what we will also have to do.

When Hull went up in 2016 they hardly had any players in the team (and lost their manager as well).......and they STILL did miles better than us in 2007-2008

From a purely mercenary viewpoint.

Get promoted,

Get loads of cash as money for old rope.

Get relegated.

Get parachute money for old rope.

Buy players as good as this year’s loanees.

Play attractive Championship football.

Round and round like an immortal hamster.

COYR!

In recent years some teams that have been promoted didn't seem much better than us but have been reasonably successful, Brighton ,hull, huddersfield,Burnley ,in their time of promotion wernt  that much better than us at the time.

I think a lot depends how you kick on once gaining promotion,obviously having funds help, but attracting the right players and having the right management in place counts for alot. I think if we go up the structure and management is sufficient to ensure we could cope. Further develop a few sensible signings we could possibly achieve what Southampton, leciester, Burnley and Brighton have accomp!ished

Can we fans make the step up? Will we be accepted by the likes of Arsenal fans as equals. Will Bournemouth fans give us a knowing nod of brotherhood in passing. Will Leicester fans allow us to sit at the same table and discuss football like we know what we’re on about. 

Or will we be looked down upon as the upstarts trying to make it in the big time. The club who were so embarrassingly bad last time that no one will want to be our friend.

I ask because for some ridiculous reason when you go onto a forum of a perm club they talk to you like they (the fans)are in some way superior.  These glory hunting fans who have no connection to their clubs but inexplicably think they can spout their opinions as if they are so much more valid than those of a non prem club.

i can’t wait to take some of those idiots down.

But we aren’t there yet. 

12 hours ago, toddy said:

Yes, i know we are one win away from securing the playoffs, but are we ready for promotion? 

The club is certainly ready, but is the squad? Are we really good enough? With the exception of the loanees how many of the current squad are capable of holding their own in the prem?

We all know its a difficult job for all promoted sides to stay up once in the prem. Look at Fulham they were a very good championship side last season arguably better than our current side and they had to spend £100 million to try and make an impact and still they are coming back down. Buying a new squad does have its downsides.

So are we really good enough? Yes, we had our Utd, chelsea and Southampton games where we held are own...but then we have had our Millwall, Blackburn, Ipswich both the Villa and Leeds games. They have not been many great performances in the league with the exception of Nowich and West Brom away.

Even the happy clappers have to be realistic here.

Remember 10 years ago? That was maybe one of the worst seasons of my last 50 yrs as a supporter. Never do i want to relive those proformances again.

Are we really ready for promotion?

Is the team ready as it stands now?

Duck no, we have barely 2 players that we own of premiership quality.

Is Frank and his backroom staff ready?

Hm, not sure, time will/may tell. But if they are, they will deal with the first issue and seriously strengthen this squad.

Are the fans ready?

We have never been more ready.

Tonight showed we have Premier League fans and just need the team to take us there.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is the team ready as it stands now?

Duck no, we have barely 2 players that we own of premiership quality.

Is Frank and his backroom staff ready?

Hm, not sure, time will/may tell. But if they are, they will deal with the first issue and seriously strengthen this squad.

Are the fans ready?

We have never been more ready.

Tonight showed we have Premier League fans and just need the team to take us there.

It's the same for pretty much any team. Just look at Wolves who walked the league last year. 10 signings this season (9 permanent and 1 loan). 6 are regular starters, 1 loaned out in Jan, 1 is a regular off the bench, and the other 2  have played in half of the games. The only position they didn't strengthen was RB.

Rui Patricio - 35 apps

Otto - 31 apps

Vinagre - 15 apps

Boly - 34 apps. Loan last season, signed this season

Moutinho - 36 apps

Dendoncker - 17 apps

Jota - 31 apps. Loan last season, signed this season

Traore - 28 apps

Bonatini - 7 apps

Jiminez - 36 apps

12 hours ago, The Oakwoodian said:

I ask because for some ridiculous reason when you go onto a forum of a perm club they talk to you like they (the fans)are in some way superior.  These glory hunting fans who have no connection to their clubs but inexplicably think they can spout their opinions as if they are so much more valid than those of a non prem club.

i can’t wait to take some of those idiots down.

But we aren’t there yet.

True, but it would take about 3 years in the Prem before we become one of those clubs. Fans always demand better than they currently have.  

Hardly any promoted team from the championship is ready for premiership football - just look at the Sheffield United team player for player - not great and they will struggle like hell and won’t break their bank signing and paying premiership players but they made it and congrats to them 

Lets be clear here Jurgen arrived at Liverpool as a bloke who was untried in the prem. Its taken him a lot of cash on a goalie and a star centre back to get his team sorted - plus 3 years to change the playing style....

Frank and Jody have been here for 1 season. 

Last night Liverpool's stats were close to Barcas  Star quality and luck from Messi. We need that star quality too.

IS George Evans our new Stimac?

Can Mount become another Messi?

Can Waghorn become the next salah dude ?

Ditto - Marriott.

At the end of the day - if the players step up then we are ARE Arrrree ready ! 

Frank knows it.

We fans know it.

The players are ready.

They will beat WBA and Leeds Utd.

Beating Villa at Wembley - thats another challenge... but Frank will make sure this team puts up a decent show.

A team in transition.

How is Curtis getting on - any progress reports ??

Archived