Are we ready for possible promotion?

toddy

To be honest the only thing i would be dreading if we did get promoted is having to listen to that smug faced, jug eared spunktrumpet Lineker on every Match of the Day for a whole bloody season reminding everyone about the last time we were in the premier league.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The money now is a game changer compared to what it used to be. Also in 2008, we had billy with billy signings that were only about the here and now. We needed to spend drastically on the team and couldn’t because what tv money we got went to paying off our debts to the coop bank (remember it was the aftermath of the 3 amigos). As far as transfers go we didn’t have a pot to piss in.

If we did get promoted it would be way different to 2008. We would be competitive at least and make a good fist of trying to survive at worst.

On 01/05/2019 at 17:09, Brummie Steve said:

From a purely mercenary viewpoint.

Get promoted,

Get loads of cash as money for old rope.

Get relegated.

Get parachute money for old rope.

Buy players as good as this year’s loanees.

Play attractive Championship football.

Round and round like an immortal hamster.

COYR!

Im all dizzy

If we get 3 points on Sunday, we are in the play-offs. If we play Leeds over two legs and get passed them, we are in the play off final. If we play either Villa or WBA in the the final and have a stormer and get through, we are promoted. IF this all happens, then we have to be ready. The likes of Mount, could be loaned to us again because Chelsea would like to see how he performs against top teams. Tomori could be signed on a permanent deal. More loans could come in (the lure of Frank and Premiership football would help). We could splash out on a couple of quality midfielders and a fast goal getting striker. A lot of Ifs. But, I am sure we would be ready if this all happened.     COYR

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:33, GenBr said:

I agree we shouldn't **** the money away, but we are going to have to bring in a fair few players even if we don't go up due to all the loans ending, contracts expiring and I expect sales of at least a couple like Pearce and maybe Bogle.

Of our starting 11 against Bristol Mount, Wilson and Tomori will all go back to their parent clubs, Johnson and Roos have expiring contracts? and I think we will sell Bogle (maybe not if we get promoted). Basically going to have to replace half the team anyway.

Something that always needs apportioning in and is often forgotten is promotion bonus.  Based on what I know from one player, the last promotion would probably have cost in excess of 15 million in bonus payment's .  This is probably why we had little to spend on new players/ wages .   Think we would need every penny and then some to be competitive to be honest.  

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:12, The Oakwoodian said:

Can we fans make the step up? Will we be accepted by the likes of Arsenal fans as equals. Will Bournemouth fans give us a knowing nod of brotherhood in passing. Will Leicester fans allow us to sit at the same table and discuss football like we know what we’re on about. 

Or will we be looked down upon as the upstarts trying to make it in the big time. The club who were so embarrassingly bad last time that no one will want to be our friend.

I ask because for some ridiculous reason when you go onto a forum of a perm club they talk to you like they (the fans)are in some way superior.  These glory hunting fans who have no connection to their clubs but inexplicably think they can spout their opinions as if they are so much more valid than those of a non prem club.

i can’t wait to take some of those idiots down.

But we aren’t there yet. 

spacer.png

Dear Oakwoodian

I feel a Thunder in your Heart

I shouldn't worry mate Bournemouth are really a fourth division team . Leicester fan's all love Showaddywaddy.  Arsenal wouldn't have a hundred year's in the top flight if Derby hadn't voted them in  . They can all balls .

Love and best wishes

Leo

On 01/05/2019 at 11:37, toddy said:

Yes, i know we are one win away from securing the playoffs, but are we ready for promotion? 

The club is certainly ready, but is the squad? Are we really good enough? With the exception of the loanees how many of the current squad are capable of holding their own in the prem?

We all know its a difficult job for all promoted sides to stay up once in the prem. Look at Fulham they were a very good championship side last season arguably better than our current side and they had to spend £100 million to try and make an impact and still they are coming back down. Buying a new squad does have its downsides.

So are we really good enough? Yes, we had our Utd, chelsea and Southampton games where we held are own...but then we have had our Millwall, Blackburn, Ipswich both the Villa and Leeds games. They have not been many great performances in the league with the exception of Nowich and West Brom away.

Even the happy clappers have to be realistic here.

Remember 10 years ago? That was maybe one of the worst seasons of my last 50 yrs as a supporter. Never do i want to relive those proformances again.

Are we really ready for promotion?

As we have now been in the Championship for over a decade, we certainly are ready for a return to the PL. 

Very rarely are teams promoted to the premier league that are ‘ready’ or ‘equipped’ to be there. Only really wolves and Newcastle have been in the last 10 years I’d say. Even if we go up and don’t compete , financially it will have massive benefits for the club, so I say let’s just finally get up there and see what happens. UTR

Yes, we are ready for promotion.

Would we have been courting relegation had we been in the Prem this season?

No, because we could afford to buy players at least as good as those on loan to us.

Players are keen to improve under Lampard’s guidance.

Are we ready for promotion?

We'll never know the answer to that question, until it is put to the actual test of playing in the premiership.

This present team gave three good performance against current premiership sides. So who's to say that the core of this team along with the right additions wouldn't be able to compete for an entire season in the premiership.

When the team managed by Billy Davies got promoted, I had the same feelings of hope, excitement and trepidation for the new season, as I did when the teams managed by Brian Clough, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith got promoted. Yes one team was an abject failure but the other three, with one in particular, giving us some great years in the top division.

Would we survive if in the premiership, who knows but it would be nice to try.

So first I'll support the team in their efforts to be promoted and enjoy their success if it happens. Then I'll get the same feelings like I did all the other times we've been promoted. 

As for being in the premiership, all I can say is, bring it on and not think about how we'll perform until the new season.

Are you ready?  Are you ready? Are you ready?  Are you ready?

Are you ready for the game of your life?  Can you stand up and fight?

C'mon, C'mon, C'mon.

Every woman, every man, stand up for The Mighty Rams.  

Stand up, Stand up. Stand up.

Everybody take a stand, Help The Mighty Rams go up,

Stand up, stand up, stand up.

We're all brothers.  We're all brother's don't yer know.

We're all sisters.  We're all sisters, so let's go...

So are you ready? (We're coming) 

Are you ready? (We're coming) 

Are you ready? (We're coming) 

Are you ready? (We're coming.  We're The Mighty Rams) 

We'd better get ready (go for it) 

We'd better get ready (go for it) 

We'd better get ready (go for it) 

We'd better get ready...

We have huge incentives to win the playoffs.  Money to spend and playing with the big boys, Mel stays and Frank most likely stays too and if he does, i am not worried in the least about relegation. 

Believe, get behind the team and lets do this!

On 01/05/2019 at 10:46, toddy said:

No you can't but you can prepare.

Do you remember 2008?

Surely Chelsea and Liverpool will be more inclined to extend the loan deals on Wilson ,Mount and Tomori that and 60 million in franks hand will still leave 30mill COYR PS plus parachute payments to look forward to

Archived