Are we ready for possible promotion?

toddy

On 02/05/2019 at 04:11, ram1964 said:

In recent years some teams that have been promoted didn't seem much better than us but have been reasonably successful, Brighton ,hull, huddersfield,Burnley ,in their time of promotion wernt  that much better than us at the time.

I think a lot depends how you kick on once gaining promotion,obviously having funds help, but attracting the right players and having the right management in place counts for alot. I think if we go up the structure and management is sufficient to ensure we could cope. Further develop a few sensible signings we could possibly achieve what Southampton, leciester, Burnley and Brighton have accomp!ished

Be still, my beating heart??

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/05/2019 at 08:35, Bob The Badger said:

Is the team ready as it stands now?

Duck no, we have barely 2 players that we own of premiership quality.

Is Frank and his backroom staff ready?

Hm, not sure, time will/may tell. But if they are, they will deal with the first issue and seriously strengthen this squad.

Are the fans ready?

We have never been more ready.

Tonight showed we have Premier League fans and just need the team to take us there.

To be fair, 2007-8 proved that Derby fans are among the most committed in England.?

Every team and every player, plays to win and if you're the best team you will win promotion.

Why should anyone fear getting promotion? We might not be good enough, and get relegated, but no one, including this Rams present team will be as poor as in 2008.

Derby County are a completely different set-up, with an owner who is dedicated to this club and has backed it with the money, not always wisely I admit, but he is still one of the best chariman/owners this club has had in the last 30 years.

We have a young manager, who is still learning the ropes of management, but he also has  avery good team of coaches behind hime, as well as an excellent Academy with some of the best U-18's & U-23's in the country, so there is now a different mind-set for introducing and playing younger players. Who would have thought Bogle would have played the whole season at the age of 19?

Yes, if we get promotion, we will have to recruit new players, either permanently, or through the loan system, and I really think we will have Tomori on our books again next season if we are promoted.

If we spend money, I'm sure it'll be in a sensible manner and not the way Fulham have gone abaout it this season - spending the whole of their first season's Premiership money, i.e. £100 million. Granted they've now got 3 seasons of 'parachute payments', which amounts to another £60 million, but they've also got a lot of players on big salaries and long contracts.

Let's really enjoy the play-off's, come-what-may, and if we reach the Premiership, embrace it, enjoy the ride and keep supporting the team. COYR's

It's not a case of "being ready for promotion" - if the chance arises you have got to go for it.

The financial reward even for only one season in the Premier and the subsequent parachute payments

would put us on a different playing field financially to what we can achieve now.

On 05/05/2019 at 16:43, EssendonRam said:

To be fair, 2007-8 proved that Derby fans are among the most committed in England.?

Which is why I'm always annoyed when people say we have rubbish support. 

Nearly every home game in 2007-08 was sold out no matter what the previous result. Even when we dropped back to the Championship the next year we were getting larger attendances than at least 9 other Premiership clubs. 

The game on Sunday against West Brom reminded me about how truly amazing our fans and club is.

15 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

The game on Sunday against West Brom reminded me about how truly amazing our fans and club is.

Strange thing is, I seem to be in a minority of 1 in thinking the atmosphere against QPR was better (and tenser).  Not to say that Sunday wasn't awesome, cos it was.  

Are we ready???

Probably not.  But what's the point of getting to this point in the season and not bothering to make it?  Can't really see Frank stood in front of the players at 5:05pm on Saturday and saying "You've done well boys, but you're really not that much cop, and I can barely see us scraping 20 points if we were to go up.  Just go through the motions and try and keep it to a respectable score.  Leeds deserve it more than we do..."  DUCK THAT!!!  

We've proved in 3 one off games this year that we can compete with & match Premier League teams, so with a few savvy acquisitions, we could assemble a squad better than Huddersfield, Cardiff & Fulham's.  And if we were to come straight back down, providing we haven't spunked £100m on a bunch of Big Time Charlies we can look to reinforce with a couple more players and have a go at going straight back up.  Providing we're sensible in recruitment, there's no reason we can't emulate Burnley, but with a slightly better playing style.

44 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Strange thing is, I seem to be in a minority of 1 in thinking the atmosphere against QPR was better (and tenser).  Not to say that Sunday wasn't awesome, cos it was.  

I know what you mean, so many chances which built the tension plus it being an important game. Think the difference with West Brom was that there were more people there with it being the last day and it really really mattering that we won.

Archived