Birmingham City vs Derby County

cannable

48 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Our defence is poorly organised and weak in the air. That has nothing to do with the midfield.

It has everything to do with having one starey-eyed panic merchant and (until Cole) a young, naive three alongside him.

It says it all when week after week our central defenders don't want to mark a big centre forward.

Until we rebuild our defence we will win nothing.

Yet if there was a league table just for goals against .. we’d be 6th 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it (just my thoughts), is that is we want to stop leaking goals from set pieces and be more of a threat in the opposition box from ours then a complete change of defensive mentality and team roles is the only way it will happen.

We use our defenders, including central defenders, as a way to start potential attacks. We (well some), as fans, want ball playing defenders who can bring it out from the back, use the ball wisely, start potential attacks and be assured in possession. I find those type of defenders lead to a compromise in defensive stability. Not all of them will be stimac, most will be Keogh.

Want to stop neadless goals from set pieces? Get a couple of 6ft 4 head it, boot it, block it merchants and that may well be reduced, however the whole mentality, shape and game structure of our team will be changed.

At our level, budget and potential attraction to players means we have to acknowledge there will be a compromise somewhere.

Dunk, flint et al will stop that, but long balls and needless lumps up the field in possession will then become the norm. Big Darren Moore was superb for the role he did in our promotion season, but Rio Ferdinand he wasn't.

We have to embrace the fact and I think our players and coaching staff have, that if we are going to try and play a passing, progressive style, then unless you are buying van djyk, this will come with limitations.

Our players can't do it all, otherwise they wouldnt be playing for us. Sorry. But I feel that's the way it is.

Was it two points dropped or a valuable point gained after falling behind twice?

I am tempted to say it’s a good point given our away form. We could have easily lost this game.

It’s a small step forward.

I am not thinking about the play-offs. Two teams have to trip up to open the door for us, and then there is no guarantee that we’ll capitalise. We certainly didn’t today.

I just want a respectable finish to the season at this point. Looking at the bigger picture, I’d settle for 8 points and some promising performances from here on out.

If we want to finish in the top six, we can’t rely on other teams helping us out. We need to go out and take charge of our own destiny, winning games like Bristol City and Swansea away.

It’s not worth getting worked up over. We’ll still be in the Championship next season whatever happens.

Looked disorganised at set pieces especially defending corners,too much passing  it side ways amongst the back four and not enough pressing forward in their half.Thought waggers played well and worked hard great finish by him.Fair result in the end against a team a top six side should be beating.Two points dropped rather than one gained.

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s not worth getting worked up over. We’ll still be in the Championship next season whatever happens.

Most likely yes, and overall a fairly successful first season for Lampard, given the expectations most of us set when he originally took over. A few fantastic performances here and there have blown expectations sky high, with some fans saying play-offs or sacking, but despite some rocky performances here and there, he's shown more than enough promise to keep us moving forwards.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Yet if there was a league table just for goals against .. we’d be 6th 

Doesn't fit the agenda though!

Our league position is down to a 2 month spell where we had very little going forward and failed to beat teams that we should have been burying.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Was it two points dropped or a valuable point gained after falling behind twice?

I am tempted to say it’s a good point given our away form. We could have easily lost this game.

It’s a small step forward.

I am not thinking about the play-offs. Two teams have to trip up to open the door for us, and then there is no guarantee that we’ll capitalise. We certainly didn’t today.

I just want a respectable finish to the season at this point. Looking at the bigger picture, I’d settle for 8 points and some promising performances from here on out.

If we want to finish in the top six, we can’t rely on other teams helping us out. We need to go out and take charge of our own destiny, winning games like Bristol City and Swansea away.

Am I missing something here?

As far as I can see, if we win our games we are in the play offs?

It was quite painful watching that game really. Genuinely thought we would concede at every set piece.

Didnt look like scoring in the second half, void of ideas really and not making runs in behind enough.

Bennett a bright spark when he came on (for me to acknowledge that shows a lot!!). Lawrence and Bryson a waste of space.

Cole was our best player.

22 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It was quite painful watching that game really. Genuinely thought we would concede at every set piece.

Didnt look like scoring in the second half, void of ideas really and not making runs in behind enough.

Bennett a bright spark when he came on (for me to acknowledge that shows a lot!!). Lawrence and Bryson a waste of space.

You mention Lawrence and Bryson? What about Wilson?

19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

was at the game and if Tom Lawrence was a waste of space i dread to think your opinion of Harry Wilson , in my opinion he had his worst game in a Derby shirt , devoid of any ideas ,knocked off the ball far too easily and to me a lack of effort , man up Harry if you want a career in the Premier League , as for Lawrence , Brum doubled up on him , obvs saw him as a threat , and yes it didnt always work for him today but he still tried to drive the team forward , easy scapegoat for some

I thought first half we looked ok until Brum got a corner then it was like it no one wanted to challenge for the ball. Having said that we pulled the game back with two goals which were really good goals. Second half we didn’t really cause much of an attacking threat until Bennett came on. Although inferior in skill to Wilson, Bennett will scrap hard and win headers and that is what you need sometimes in a championship battle. 

Anyway the ref was pretty crap again and maybe a draw was a fair result although we should have pinched it in the last minute when Tamori should have buried the best chance of the second half.

6 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

... as for Lawrence , Brum doubled up on him , obvs saw him as a threat , and yes it didnt always work for him today but he still tried to drive the team forward , easy scapegoat for some

Unfortunately his decision-making was poor and he wasn't a lot of support for the defence.

Just got back, wildly open game especially in the first half 

all our flair players ( mount, Wilson, Lawrence) not involved in the game really as we never got hold of the ball and passed it but they never demanded it either - Keogh and Johnson are our only decent headers of the ball and they were against about 8 of equal stature as it’s been for the season and yes we are dreadfully exposed at set pieces 

Bennett gave us more in a few minutes than Wilson or the ever disappointing Lawrence did all game and waghorn battled bravely and scored a lovely goal and Keogh also scored nicely and tomori should have! Cole played very well and Johnson and Bryson did well in their roles

all in all a good away point 

Bogle Keogh Lawrence Waghorn - the only ones under contract for next season in today’s starting X1 

now I expect we may well sell Bogle if the offer is good enough and I would sell Lawrence if we could for decent money which really doesn’t leave many on paper - its going to be an interesting summer and next season  

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doesn't fit the agenda though!

Our league position is down to a 2 month spell where we had very little going forward and failed to beat teams that we should have been burying.

So what gives us a divine right to be “burying “ teams? You get what you earn. It is 20% inspiration, 80% perspiration. Birmingham beat Leeds home and away and are obviously no mugs. They were well organised, worked hard to win the second balls and had obviously researched and targeted our weakness at corners. I, for one, consider it a well-won point. It is still in our hands, and what will be will be. COYR.

22 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

So what gives us a divine right to be “burying “ teams? You get what you earn. It is 20% inspiration, 80% perspiration. Birmingham beat Leeds home and away and are obviously no mugs. They were well organised, worked hard to win the second balls and had obviously researched and targeted our weakness at corners. I, for one, consider it a well-won point. It is still in our hands, and what will be will be. COYR.

Nothing gives us a divine right.

Just games we played against poor teams who didn't really have to do too much to draw/beat us.

And I wasn't talking about today's game.

My view on today, definitely a good point against a good team with all the attributes we have struggled against all season. Today, we stood up and coped with the physical battle but annoyingly were undone by two individual defensive errors. Without them, we would have won the game. Two weeks ago against Blackburn we didn’t lay a glove on them and we were played off the park. Today was a decent result make no mistake and with the other results, we are definitely still in there with more than a fighting chance. Forest are capable of beating boro, Sheff Weds performance against Norwich shows they will be a tough ask for Bristol. Bristol and Swansea are both very winnable away matches as both sides suit our style of play. We’re knocking on the door of an away win, it could have happened against Brentford and today.

Its in our hands, we smash QPR to get the goal difference advantage, beat Bristol, get a point v Swansea and beat WBA who will be resting everyone for the playoffs then I think that will be enough. That set of results is feasible.

Thought today, Mount tried to force things too often, needed to calm it down at times but still a solid 7 out of 10, Waggy played well, Cole was excellent, Lawrence played with aggression and was a big threat first half, faded in the second, and Bryson had a decent game scrapping and breaking things up. Can’t see how anyone can really criticise Bryson or Lawrence today!

Wilson was worst player on the pitch by a mile.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Am I missing something here?

As far as I can see, if we win our games we are in the play offs?

Not necessarily. If Middlesbrough win their three games too, it will come down to GD, so even 12 points might not be enough.

It’s a daft point to pounce upon - I mean have we even won four games in a row all season long?

It’d be a great time to put such a run together. But let’s be realistic. We couldn’t even win four in a row when we had four home games back-to-back earlier this year.

Do you really expect us to win four in a row under that kind of pressure? Do you really expect us win back to back away games in the league after going the previous four months without winning even one?

Everything points to 7-8 points being a good return for us. It might seem defeatist, but what have we seen from this team to suggest that they are capable of more?

Archived