Birmingham City vs Derby County

cannable

Poor quality game, mind Bogle showing he will be gracing the Prem soon for me, getting better and better.

Think Huddz needs a game on Monday..... missing that bit of control today in there to put a foot on it.

Waghorn very impressive as well

Never a penalty the first one for me, we’d be screaming blue murder other way round if given. 2nd one I thought was though.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Didn’t create as much 2nd half, but we had our chance with Tamori at the end, problem was that they had a few.

Just couldn’t seem to keep the ball on the floor could we.  Still, a point from a difficult away tie and 2 great goals. Some work to do on corners please Frank?

Moving away from that zonal marking system for a start!

Just pick up a man, stick to him and if you can't win the header, make it as difficult as possible for them to have clear efforts.

That second goal was ridiculous, any system that leaves a centre half marking 6yds of empty space in the middle of the box ain't working.

Difficult to know how to feel about the result as a point at Brum isn't typically to be sniffed at. We keep on saying must win games but then other results allow us back in the hunt when we fail to win. I suppose the best thing about today is the maths because its still on, the bad thing is we keep on pushing the need to win away from home out and out and the two next away games are even tougher on paper than today.  I hope the team that smashed West Brom turn up then because they will need to!

If we hadn’t messed up the ga Es against millwall, Rotherham, Bolton we would be up there. We’re eighth for a reason and a point away to Birmingham is decent. We’re not playoff material. Can’t wait for some young lads in the team next week when we have nothing to play for 

As expected a midfield with Bryson and Johnson in it doesn't work. It's alright doing it at home to Bolton but they don't have the ability to control games. Huddlestone has to come in for one of those. It was an absolute embarrassment today watching us trying to defend set plays, what do we do in training? 

Cole MOTM, great block at the end. Proper defending. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Once again not capitalised on the huge lifeline thrown to us by brizzle. In isolation a draw at brum is a decent result, but in the bigger picture it really leaves us hanging on by the thinnest of threads. You don’t go up making the same mistakes that we do, this squad just don’t seem to learn. Away form is bottom of the league standard in 2019, no hope of playoffs unless that picks up.

Bit of a mental game really, no control exerted by either side, tho that suited brum far more. Tactics just didn’t seem at all properly researched and set up for that match, launching it up front all the time was never going to work. That said, decent game by Waghorn dealing with it. Poor poor game by Wilson who should be dropped next match, Bryson vanished when we needed him as usual, Johnson and Lawrence need more quality too. Bennett made a huge difference when he came on and should start next game ahead of fairy Wilson.

EDIT: forgot to say, Cole MOM. Best game in a derby shirt by a long way

Agreed, everything is terrible.

Just now, Duracell said:

Agreed, everything is terrible.

Not terrible, frustrating. Same mistakes over and over again. As I say if that was in October I’d be satisfied cause brum are decent, but that was a huge opportunity missed. Granted, was made more difficult by the sneaky brum fan who managed to get in as the ref.

I thought it was a poor performance, because we showed far too little composure; what was it, Clough said about air football?

We were crying out for our players to calm it down and pass and move, rinse and repeat. Waghorn had no support and ran his legs off chasing lost causes.

And seriously we need to sort out our defence; a good defence does not look like conceding from every set-piece. Why on earth was Johnson asked to mark Jutkiewicz? Keogh should have taken on that responsibility.

Very disappointed, but at least I got 5 points for the prediction league.

2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

As expected a midfield with Bryson and Johnson in it doesn't work. It's alright doing it at home to Bolton but they don't have the ability to control games. Huddlestone has to come in for one of those. It was an absolute embarrassment today watching us trying to defend set plays, what do we do in training? 

Cole MOTM, great block at the end. Proper defending. 

To paraphrase Eric Morecambe we are zonal marking but not necessarily in the right zones.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Not terrible, frustrating. Same mistakes over and over again. As I say if that was in October I’d be satisfied cause brum are decent, but that was a huge opportunity missed. Granted, was made more difficult by the sneaky brum fan who managed to get in as the ref.

Frustrating, yes, but goes with the territory being in the hunt for the playoffs. A team that never frustrates takes all the points and goes up as champions.

You’ve barely started on the long list of things that could be improved, but we’re roughly as good as Bristol and Boro - which is why it’s come to be this close after 42 games.

Should have had penalties but that does not excuse the fact we conceded two very soft goals. Waghorns's finish was excellent and Cole showed that he is used to playing in the heat. 

Overall feels like 2 points dropped, but who knows, beat QPR and Bristol and that would have been an important point and keep our goal difference in line with the rivals. 

4 minutes ago, KCG said:

I thought it was a poor performance, because we showed far too little composure; what was it, Clough said about air football?

We were crying out for our players to calm it down and pass and move, rinse and repeat. Waghorn had no support and ran his legs off chasing lost causes.

And seriously we need to sort out our defence; a good defence does not look like conceding from every set-piece. Why on earth was Johnson asked to mark Jutkiewicz? Keogh should have taken on that responsibility.

Johnson is probably the best aerially in the squad, I can see the thinking behind it. I don’t think either he or Keith make the calls on who marks whom.

Agree on the midfield, and it’s been our Achilles heel all season long. The one consistent positive is Mount’s runs and his creativity, but that’s not balanced with someone who can control the tempo. Will Hughes is the player you describe; two years on and I’m angrier about that sale than ever before.

Our defence would look totally different with that kind of midfield in front of it. The full backs were providing more movement for the CBs than any of the midfield 5, no surprise they often look exposed.

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Frustrating, yes, but goes with the territory being in the hunt for the playoffs. A team that never frustrates takes all the points and goes up as champions.

You’ve barely started on the long list of things that could be improved, but we’re roughly as good as Bristol and Boro - which is why it’s come to be this close after 42 games.

Don't be so bloody reasonable.

It's no fun.

6 minutes ago, KCG said:

To add to ur need to sort the defence out and how susceptible we are at set pieces 

couldnt agree more 

the irony being that it’s between our two centre half’s for player of the year lmao 

the irony 

joking aside, Iv said this all season 

two more than capable centre half’s ability wise 

but top centre half’s concentrate for ninety minutes .... ours don’t 

as has been highlighted so many times, they are both probably two of the most able defenders in the league ... but concentration and focus they don’t have 

I also accept that at times they’re really not helped by those infront of them and they’re hot potato attitude to the ball 

2 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Saw last half hour...daft playing out from back, cannot defend set pieces, struggled to break Brum down, Tomori should have scored. Happy with a draw to be honest.

There's nothing wrong playing out from the back, but there's everything wrong with "me to you, you to me', rinse and repeat, then hoof up the field.

I'm fairly sure, both Wilson and Lawrence are capable of creating space by running with the ball, and then making a simple pass. Instead, both were guilty of giving the ball away with hopeful punts.

I quite enjoyed the game, although the 2nd half got a little frustrating. I thought Waghorn was excellent. Even if we ignore his goal, he won so much against a tough pair of centre halves. The ball stuck to him and he made some lovely lay offs. The referee hamstrung him with a ludicrously cheap booking early in the second half. Gardner managed to poleaxe three people before the ref decided to take any action, yet Waggy is a fraction late and he can't wait to get his card out.

Archived