Birmingham City vs Derby County

cannable

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Don't be so bloody reasonable.

It's no fun.

Mason Bennett’s flukey goal is the last game he’ll score in professional football because he’s a fraud and reveldevil smells like out-of-date smoked mackerel pâté.

That unreasonable enough for you?

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Mason Bennett’s flukey goal is the last game he’ll score in professional football because he’s a fraud and reveldevil smells like out-of-date smoked mackerel pâté.

That unreasonable enough for you?

Again bang on the money.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Johnson is probably the best aerially in the squad, I can see the thinking behind it. I don’t think either he or Keith make the calls on who marks whom.

Agree on the midfield, and it’s been our Achilles heel all season long. The one consistent positive is Mount’s runs and his creativity, but that’s not balanced with someone who can control the tempo. Will Hughes is the player you describe; two years on and I’m angrier about that sale than ever before.

Our defence would look totally different with that kind of midfield in front of it. The full backs were providing more movement for the CBs than any of the midfield 5, no surprise they often look exposed.

Johnson is good in the air against players of his height, he should not have been marking Jutkiewicz, Keogh should have.

The CBs are guilty, as are the rest of the team, of looking for the killer pass. There is nothing wrong with passing to a player who is being marked, you just have to make sure the pass is weighted properly. You can even run forward to receive the return and pass to another player! The game is about pass and move to create space.

But the above doesn't excuse poor defending of set-pieces.

Just now, KCG said:

Johnson is good in the air against players of his height, he should not have been marking Jutkiewicz, Keogh should have.

The CBs are guilty, as are the rest of the team, of looking for the killer pass. There is nothing wrong with passing to a player who is being marked, you just have to make sure the pass is weighted properly. You can even run forward to receive the return and pass to another player! The game is about pass and move to create space.

But the above doesn't excuse poor defending of set-pieces.

Do you think we were marking players or zones? I think it says a lot that it looked like a bit of both.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Do you think we were marking players or zones? I think it says a lot that it looked like a bit of both.

Yeah, I think that's probably right.

Zonal marking is fine if you pick up their main aerial threat because he's in the zone, but it's useless if he's got half a brain and looks for space.

Great goal from waghorn.

good goal from keogh

we looked a bit out of sorts; didn't get alot from lawrence or wilson; but thats not a bad point normally.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Having to listen to ed dawes makes my ears bleed.

Those were all the words you needed.

On the flipside I'm having to listen to people in denial that Keogh has made a mistake, pointing the finger at everyone else on the pitch and absolving him of absolutely any shred of blame for us conceding a goal, again.

There's never any middle ground!

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Great goal from waghorn.

good goal from keogh

we looked a bit out of sorts; didn't get alot from lawrence or wilson; but thats not a bad point normally.

Which away from home has quite often been the case 

they really are front foot players 

when we’re in the ascendency they come alive but when we have to try and be cute and clever and patient away from home they can be frustratingly cheap with the ball 

31 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Johnson is probably the best aerially in the squad, I can see the thinking behind it. I don’t think either he or Keith make the calls on who marks whom.

Agree on the midfield, and it’s been our Achilles heel all season long. The one consistent positive is Mount’s runs and his creativity, but that’s not balanced with someone who can control the tempo. Will Hughes is the player you describe; two years on and I’m angrier about that sale than ever before.

Our defence would look totally different with that kind of midfield in front of it. The full backs were providing more movement for the CBs than any of the midfield 5, no surprise they often look exposed.

Our defence is poorly organised and weak in the air. That has nothing to do with the midfield.

It has everything to do with having one starey-eyed panic merchant and (until Cole) a young, naive three alongside him.

It says it all when week after week our central defenders don't want to mark a big centre forward.

Until we rebuild our defence we will win nothing.

I think we need to start BJ, Hudds and Mount in our next away game.

Bryson didn’t have a bad game but the balance is all wrong when we go on the road to poo house teams. Happy to keep the Bryson, BJ, Mount combination for home games though as it works ok when we’re on the front foot.

Next season we really need to address the midfield balance. I think FL tried to do this temporarily in Jan with the signing of king, however that plan sadly went up in smoke.

27 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Those were all the words you needed.

On the flipside I'm having to listen to people in denial that Keogh has made a mistake, pointing the finger at everyone else on the pitch and absolving him of absolutely any shred of blame for us conceding a goal, again.

There's never any middle ground!

Also see the exact opposite too as well.

People see what they want to see

52 minutes ago, Anon said:

I quite enjoyed the game, although the 2nd half got a little frustrating. I thought Waghorn was excellent. Even if we ignore his goal, he won so much against a tough pair of centre halves. The ball stuck to him and he made some lovely lay offs. The referee hamstrung him with a ludicrously cheap booking early in the second half. 

That was a dreadful lunge across the Brum players ankle - if it had been done on Mount we'd have been demanding a sending off! Good goal from Waghorn and some nice touches. Not up to much with all the aerial balls lobbed at him, quelle surprise... 

Archived