The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

No major cities by the coast? What about St. Petersburg their second largest city with a population of 5 million?

I said not many ?   I also said they should be worried.  You are still correct though...St. Petersburg could be devastated, but apparently they are quite confident about it's flood defences. 

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Woohoo, lets spend even more money!!!

So I get an interest free loan to change my gas boiler to an electric one.  Does this mean I have to change my gas central heating too?  And what about the new boiler that cost me a couple of grand to have installed earlier in the year?  This is how you tax people earning under £80k/yr without taxing them...

8 hours ago, AdamRam said:

And that’s what’s happening at the moment, the answer though cannot be to continually penalise the minority, how is that a democratic society ?

How are the rich 5% being penalised? As the austerity policies brought in by the conservatives had in any way near the same adverse affect on them than it as on those on benefits or even on someone living on a salary that is below the average wage.

If you're happy wanting to live by the law of the jungle, where the strongest survive and the weakest perish rather than living in a caring society. Keep claiming the rich are being hard done by.

I want to live in a society where it's not just the merchant bankers, the company CEOs that are more valued, for the money they may generate for the country's economy, than the shop worker, the street cleaner or the restaurant waitress, most on minimum wage. Without these low paid workers and the services they provide, the penalised minority, as you call them, wouldn't lead such a comfortable life.

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've already said that I'm extremely fortunate that my parents pay my rent while I'm at university. All that matters is that they know I'm grateful for it and, quite frankly, it's none of your business. But, if they couldn't afford to pay it, or chose not to, then if I really wanted to go to university I suppose I'd work full time to save up for it. I'm certainly not anyone to 'pay the way for me' like you suggest.

Well done, you've worked hard. Do you want a pat on the back? I've also had various jobs since I was 13, with my last one being in a factory. It's not as if I've sat on my arse all my life. I intend to work hard after I graduate too, but I'm not going to moan about paying 45% tax on anything above £80,000 if I manage to reach that salary. The new tax rate certainly isn't going to put me off working hard to achieve my dreams and persuade me to live on benefits. 

If you can't tell the difference between someone receiving £5,000 per year not funding foodbanks and someone earning over 80k a year moaning about paying a bit more tax, then I really can't win. 

And, funnily enough, I've helped raise around £300 for Movember this month; I regularly give money to homeless people and am planning on making a charitable donation this Christmas. But carry on assuming that I'm a hypocrite who blows all my money on football and alcohol and relies on mummy and daddy to bail me out.

I hope I can revisit this thread in a few years and say that I'm earning good money and happily paying my taxes. 

Did you grow a tache? If so can we see it?

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A906FE02-E3D8-4B81-9E2D-ED41E47E4F5E.jpeg.8abe50b680b199f42dffa29719ce3480.jpeg

Absolutely pathetic attempt. Thankfully, I had 9 team mates to pick up the slack!

Bloody hell. I knew there wouldn't be much there but.....at least you tried.

You'd better start knocking a few more out to see if it gives your testosterone a boost

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

What science says differently to any of the 3 points I presented as facts?  

Can you explain to how you think it's relevant that the planet's climate is naturally variable?  The point is we are changing it now, and we are changing it in a manner that is going to be catastrophic for our brand new (in geological time scales) and frequently coast hugging civilization.

I don't know why you are asking about the industrial revolution however hey say about 80% of carbon dioxide (the most significant GHG) released into the atmosphere will have broken down within about 200 years.

I'm surprised that you have taken to a discussion about climate change without being aware of the difference between Average Global Temperature and Effective Global Temperature.  The very factors that prove and quantify the effectiveness of GHG's at heating up the planet.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/EnergyBalance

I recommend that you real all of that webpage but the information you requested is contained in this sentence;

'The natural greenhouse effect raises the Earth’s surface temperature to about 15 degrees Celsius on average—more than 30 degrees warmer than it would be if it didn’t have an atmosphere.'

The gases in the atmosphere causing this effect are the 'greenhouse gases' naturally.

If you are still unconvinced that greenhouse gases in an atmosphere cause a planet to warm up, just read a few simple facts about the planet Venus, where greenhouse gases have raised the temperature of the planet by more than 500 C. 

I will have a read. I am sure it will convert me quickly and I will need to book some time off for my next Extinction Rebellion event. 
Or it might be nothing at all. 

6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

So do you only listen to the one side of the debate? Are you suggesting that those climate scientists who challenge those findings are not being truthful in their opinions?

I assume we are going to go down the moral high ground here.. If yo7 want the truthful answer, no I am not convinced either way. I have seen some very convincing arguments on both sides. Climate change models are/could be wrong? I listen to one respected professor saying that only the Russians had a viable model. Had this discussion before and showed them the clip, they research the guy and decided he was funded by an oil company or something, so was talking Bollx. You can’t have it both ways and suggest that only your sides argument is water tight.

Have a gander at james loverock. Seems to be a bit of a brilliant man, the more I read about him. Seems to be independent on this and knows his shinola. I'm with him.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Surely if we carry on things will get warmer and we won’t need gas anymore problem solved. We’ll also be closer to the sea so we won’t use as much petrol to get to Skeg. I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

So sad two innocents have died as a result of the terrorist attack today.

Hopefully no one will try and use this for political gain or points scoring. 

Well I'm doing my bit for climate change tonight. I ordered some oil for the central heating system last week. Still hadn't come this morning and we've  run out and when I phoned they said it will be delivered tomorrow.  So I'm sitting here wearing two jumpers, a beanie and a coat and a big blanket. Reminds me of when I lived in Sheffield back in the 70s and we didn't have central heating and had to scrape the ice off the windows inside in the early morning.  

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

How are the rich 5% being penalised? As the austerity policies brought in by the conservatives had in any way near the same adverse affect on them than it as on those on benefits or even on someone living on a salary that is below the average wage.

If you're happy wanting to live by the law of the jungle, where the strongest survive and the weakest perish rather than living in a caring society. Keep claiming the rich are being hard done by.

I want to live in a society where it's not just the merchant bankers, the company CEOs that are more valued, for the money they may generate for the country's economy, than the shop worker, the street cleaner or the restaurant waitress, most on minimum wage. Without these low paid workers and the services they provide, the penalised minority, as you call them, wouldn't lead such a comfortable life.

You keep referring to the taxes being cut by the Tories but unless you’re m mistaken it was a completely different bracket. If we are playing the blame game, let’s look at the first party that cut taxes.......

Street cleaners average salary is nigh on 20k, so what you are saying is that isn’t enough for them, I pay enough tax already for 2 in FT employment for a year, why should I pay more if the other 95% of the country isn’t ? Surely a fair society is that we share the burden, even if that’s in labours world where everything is free ?

Which band are you in, I take it your happy to contribute to the street cleaners and such ?

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

You keep referring to the taxes being cut by the Tories but unless you’re m mistaken it was a completely different bracket. If we are playing the blame game, let’s look at the first party that cut taxes.......

Street cleaners average salary is nigh on 20k, so what you are saying is that isn’t enough for them, I pay enough tax already for 2 in FT employment for a year, why should I pay more if the other 95% of the country isn’t ? Surely a fair society is that we share the burden, even if that’s in labours world where everything is free ?

Which band are you in, I take it your happy to contribute to the street cleaners and such ?

I'd be interested to know your answer to this:

At what point would you pack your highly stressful job in? Another 5%, 10%?

And whatever that point is, we would obviously lose the skills you have obtained. 

It would get to a point where it wouldn't be worth it, surely? 

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

You keep referring to the taxes being cut by the Tories

They were. The tax free allowance doubled during the Conservative government. Thats a massive tax cut for lower earners,  easily overlooked,  or ignored.

Just now, Norman said:

I'd be interested to know your answer to this:

At what point would you pack your highly stressful job in? Another 5%, 10%?

And whatever that point is, we would obviously lose the skills you have obtained. 

It would get to a point where it wouldn't be worth it, surely? 

Good point, people wonder why tax evasion is such a big thing (or was) in the UK, the 40% bracket is one of the highest in the world, 45% for me is an absurd amount and will drive high earners away from this country.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Woohoo, lets spend even more money!!!

So I get an interest free loan to change my gas boiler to an electric one.  Does this mean I have to change my gas central heating too?  And what about the new boiler that cost me a couple of grand to have installed earlier in the year?  This is how you tax people earning under £80k/yr without taxing them...

I'm no heating engineer but, surely the thing that makes your central heating "gas" is the fact that you have a gas boiler. Therefore changing your boiler to an electric one would make your central heating "electric" (unless of course you have two boilers). Right?

I wouldn't worry though, if it takes as long to implement as it's taking to switch everyone to smart meters then your new will need replacing by then anyway.

Archived