The Politics Thread 2019

Day

18 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

You keep referring to the taxes being cut by the Tories but unless you’re m mistaken it was a completely different bracket. If we are playing the blame game, let’s look at the first party that cut taxes.......

Street cleaners average salary is nigh on 20k, so what you are saying is that isn’t enough for them, I pay enough tax already for 2 in FT employment for a year, why should I pay more if the other 95% of the country isn’t ? Surely a fair society is that we share the burden, even if that’s in labours world where everything is free ?

Which band are you in, I take it your happy to contribute to the street cleaners and such ?

Never mentioned cutting taxes. 

Yes I'll happily pay more than I presently do.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Good point, people wonder why tax evasion is such a big thing (or was) in the UK, the 40% bracket is one of the highest in the world, 45% for me is an absurd amount and will drive high earners away from this country.

Hmmmm. A skills shortage. Then less investment due to lack of available skills. Less tax collected. Poor taxed more. 

So much more complicated than, 'tax the rich people more'. 

If only it was that simple. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Never mentioned cutting taxes. 

Yes I'll happily pay more than I presently do.

But how old are you? Do you already own a house, have grown up kids, nice car, holidays etc? 

I've seen a few of your holiday shots, haven't I? 

It really isn't that simple. 

Why do people assume someone earning 85 k is rich?

Chances are they do long hours so either their other half doesn't work or they pay a fortune for child care.

Why should an individual earning pay more tax yet a couple earning 50 k each dont

Because its easy. And it gets headlines and appeals to people who dont earn that money.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Why do people assume someone earning 85 k is rich?

Chances are they do long hours so either their other half doesn't work or they pay a fortune for child care.

Why should an individual earning pay more tax yet a couple earning 50 k each dont

Because its easy. And it gets headlines and appeals to people who dont earn that money.

That is exactly my situation, my wife earns 12.5k and cannot get any benefits because I earn to much. She is a TA and whilst I’m not complaining that we can’t get any, we are a long way off being anywhere near rich.

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm no heating engineer but, surely the thing that makes your central heating "gas" is the fact that you have a gas boiler. Therefore changing your boiler to an electric one would make your central heating "electric" (unless of course you have two boilers). Right?

I wouldn't worry though, if it takes as long to implement as it's taking to switch everyone to smart meters then your new will need replacing by then anyway.

When you put it like that, probably.  I just write cheques for that kinda stuff ?

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Good point, people wonder why tax evasion is such a big thing (or was) in the UK, the 40% bracket is one of the highest in the world, 45% for me is an absurd amount and will drive high earners away from this country.

Out of curiosity, why haven't you moved to Liechtenstein or some other low tax country? 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Out of curiosity, why haven't you moved to Liechtenstein or some other low tax country? 

Because this country is brilliant. Everyone has their limits, though. 

I'm sure many jobs can be done over the Internet now. 

Bloke I built a house for last year I. Grantham was going to London 4 days a week 5 years a go. Now he goes once a week tops. 

He's a financial analyst. 

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Because I’m happy with the tax I pay at the moment.

Now I’m sure you do me the same courtesy and answer my earlier question. Do you think the new labour plan is flawed at only targeting the rich ?

39 minutes ago, Joe. said:

You can voluntarily pay more if you want to, presumably you do?

Yep. Like millions of others each year, I give a portion of my spare cash to charity. Unfortunately the amout of spare cash I have is small

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

How is asking those with the most wealth, to contribute more to the upkeep of the country, flawed?

Most wealth ? That’s not correct for sure, highest paid yes.

Because why shouldn’t other people share the burden, those that sit in the band below for example ?

Like father, like son. The charming Stanley Johnson, father of BloJo, gives a charming assessment of levels of education amongst 'the British public'. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/29/pinocchio-row-stanley-johnson-suggests-uk-public-is-illiterate

Meanwhile, having this week described the children of single mothers as ‘ill-raised, ignorant, aggressive and illegitimate’ (what, even your own Boris?) , Blowhard steadfastly refuses to confirm just how many children he has himself.

What an absolute Bamford! ?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/29/boris-johnson-refuses-say-many-children-11238199/

Archived