The Politics Thread 2019

Day

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

The Labour MP's just put forward two amendments to be voted on before the main vote on the election date:

1. To allow 16 and 17 year old's to vote.

Only Malta and Greece, within the EU allow this age group to vote in an general election. This amendment is being backed by the SNP, Labour and Lib Dems.

2. To allow EU citizens to vote.

No EU country allows any person from another country to vote in their general election.

If these two amendments go through Boris Johnson says he will drop the vote for a general election. Where do we go to now?

They may be unusual, but on their merits individually I don't see any real problem with either. 

We send 16 year olds to work and start families. We let them serve in the military. Why not allow them a voice? 

EU citizens living in the country have as much right as anyone to demand to be heard. They pay taxes - why deny a vote? 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

They may be unusual, but on their merits individually I don't see any real problem with either. 

We send 16 year olds to work and start families. We let them serve in the military. Why not allow them a voice? 

EU citizens living in the country have as much right as anyone to demand to be heard. They pay taxes - why deny a vote? 

I think if it was to change , then it should change across Europe , not just here.

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

I very much doubt many labour voters will switch to Tories just to get Brexit

Yes a number of Labour voting brexiteers may not vote for the tories but how many  won't bother turning out to vote at all. Which could be critical in many marginal seats.

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I agree,  but is now the time to table it? Surely proper consideration and debate should occur.

Perhaps it should become part of a mandate to introduce in the future and not rushed in.

Just now, 1of4 said:

Yes a number of Labour voting brexiteers may not vote for the tories but how many  won't bother turning out to vote at all. Which could be critical in many marginal seats.

The problem for the northern constituencies who previously voted Labour and also voted for Brexit is who can they actually back. Most will never switch to Tories due to historical reasons, the Brexit party is mainly ex Tories (although I can see them being the protest vote in much of the north and midlands - splitting Labour vote rather than winning seats), Corbyn's party has taken no firm stance on Brexit and every other party is remain. Many of them feel abandoned by Westminster and frankly I wouldn't blame them for not bothering to vote since their aren't many parties that really represent them - I imagine Labour are not going to see as good a result as they usually would in the north. Personally I'd prefer them to ruin their ballot papers, but it is their choice if they decide not to vote at all.

35 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I think if it was to change , then it should change across Europe , not just here.

Why? 

Does it lose appeal if the UK is more open and generous to its citizens than other countries? 

The UK would be a trailblazer in the sense of human rights. Why wait? 

34 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I agree,  but is now the time to table it? Surely proper consideration and debate should occur.

Perhaps it should become part of a mandate to introduce in the future and not rushed in.

Perhaps not, but I can't see much argument against the suggestion put forward. 

39 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I hope you're not suggesting that Parliament can railroad things that suit them but then need years to scrutinise things that dont?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I do not agree to this statement.

I've worked and lived in several countries, including France, where I paid my taxes, spent my money and agreed to their rules and laws, however, I had no rights whatsoever.

So, why should we allow people, who are not UK citizens, the right to vote and decide on my future when this time next year they may not be living in this country?

As for 16-17 year old's voting, the majority have not yet left school and many do not have an understanding on how manage their own lives let alone how the world works, or make a decision on such a complexity as Brexit.

I suppose you may also agree in today's survey where the majority of 16 to 30 year old's do not want the over 70's the right to vote?

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Yep agree. Labour should have handled things differently. They've only got themselves  to blame

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

To be honest they don't . It's that simple, as it would be for me if  I resided in France , Germany etc. I find the suggestion put forward as a desperate , self-serving grab for power by those out of touch with anyone North of the Home Counties and South of Edinburgh.   Shame, as I voted Labour for 18 years- now they offer nothing but barmy ideas about 4 day weeks on the same pay and campaigning against any deal they may make with the EU.  Screaming Lord Corbyn will create years of damage and the trust in voters from Labours former Northern powerhouse is gone.

Tory landslide? Suspect we'll see in the region of 100 seats outside of Tory / Labour with no working majority unless a coalition is formed.

SNP, Libdems and Green likely to side with whom I wonder? Doubtless the terrorist sympathisers will doubtless look to secure another deal with the DUP ?‍♀️

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Isn't this  the whole point of brexit. It's that we can make and follow our own rules and laws and not have to do what the rest of the EU does.

33 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Aged well

Hand forced by SNP and Lib Dems. 

He was about to be crushed from all sides. 

Not that many on here care or understand.

So it actually proves one thing. He cares about Self-preservation over everything else. 

Think a good and potential result in this election will be a Remain coalition government. Corbyn would be PM but with the other parties preventing him getting his Stalinist ideas through, well the imagined ones by the media anyway.

I think Remainers will be well geared up for this one whereas the Leavers will be already fearing the worst. Many Leavers will have been put off by all the No Deal freaks and fears for their jobs will push them towards Remain.

Difficult to see any Remain area voting Tory and plenty of Labour Leave areas are never gonna go Tory. Hopefully Brexit party splits the vote and Labour cling on.

I think it would be good for the United Kingdom to come back together with a coalition cabinet of Labour, Libs, Green, Welsh, SNP, moderate NI party and moderate ex-Tory Independents. Then have a 2nd referendum on an agreed deal vs Remain.

Priority has to be getting Johnson to lose his seat, hence the rumours of him running away to Sevenoaks.

Archived