The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Quick question. 

Do people actually believe Corbyn wants a No Deal taken off the table before he says yes to a general election. 

Or is he putting himself before country? 

Self-preservation in full swing. 

Quick answer.

If you believe no deal would hurt the majority of people in your country should you not oppose it? Corbyn is doing what an opposition should do, oppose the Government.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I bet Cocu is wishing Derby had opposition like Labour right now!

Don't know wether to laugh or cry at this. So I'll have to wait till @Norman  informs me if this a joke or not, as he appears to be the expert. 

Bugger. As we're being told not to believe what experts say anymore. I still won't know if it's a joke or a serious post.

30 minutes ago, Norman said:

Quick question. 

Do people actually believe Corbyn wants a No Deal taken off the table before he says yes to a general election. 

This might have something to do with it...

https://news.sky.com/story/tories-surge-to-16-point-lead-over-labour-poll-11846200

30 minutes ago, Norman said:

Quick question. 

Ok mate, I made you laugh with my reply but seriously, what do you want him to do?

26 minutes ago, Norman said:

Yvette Cooper. 

But – whilst Corbyn himself has put forward a powerful critique of PFI, and widely-praised proposals to save hospitals from it, Cooper shows no sign of thinking PFI is a bad thing.

Cooper was Chief Secretary to the Treasury in 2008/9 whilst it signed off nearly 50 new PFI schemes, including many in the NHS.

In 2009, she told parliament “PFI projects have consistently demonstrated value for money and high levels of user satisfaction in vital areas of public service delivery….” She added that it was best to stick with the PFI structure because the private sector will “continue to bear the risk of cost overruns and delays” (even as she handed the private firms a £2bn public bailout).

The Commons Treasury Committee disagreed, saying “Private Finance projects are significantly more expensive to fund over the life of a project…We have not seen clear evidence of savings and benefits in other areas of PFI projects which are sufficient to offset this significantly higher cost of finance.”

But Cooper appears never to have accepted these criticisms.

Even as she berated Jeremy Corbyn for ducking her questions about “free money” at last night’s Sky hustings, she ducked his question about whether she would pursue still more rip-off PFI, as her “credible alternative” to “printing money”.

https://think-left.org/2015/09/06/who-says-what-about-the-nhs-labour-leadership-contenders/

Not for me mate. I want a labour leader to oppose privatisation of the NHS. No point in having a Labour Party otherwise.

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not for me mate. I want a labour leader to oppose privatisation of the NHS. No point in having a Labour Party otherwise.

She'd do a damn sight better at opposing the government than Corbyn. 

Which is causing this country more damage? 

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Quick answer.

If you believe no deal would hurt the majority of people in your country should you not oppose it? Corbyn is doing what an opposition should do, oppose the Government.

I get that but what i dont understand is surely any opposition leader should be confident of winning an election?  If so once won can he not just take it off the table himself! 

If he is admitting he cannot win then surely labour should be seeking someone to lead them who thinks they can win? 

No better way to oppose the government than to remove that government surely? 

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I get that but what i dont understand is surely any opposition leader should be confident of winning an election?  If so once won can he not just take it off the table himself! 

If he is admitting he cannot win then surely labour should be seeking someone to lead them who thinks they can win? 

No better way to oppose the government than to remove that government surely? 

Exactly this.

If no deal is so bad for the country and it is what everyone is desperate to avoid then surely Labour or Lib Dems will get a landslide victory in a General Election.

We've heard for the last 3 years about the Conservatives playing games and the country suffering because of uncertainty, huge opportunity to sort that out, right here, right now. 

The excuses are drying up and the lack of opposition is quite frankly becoming embarrassing. 

8 hours ago, Norman said:

She'd do a damn sight better at opposing the government than Corbyn. 

Which is causing this country more damage? 

Why do you consider Corbyn's opposition style, damaging to the country. If this Johnson led tory government is doing such a great job of running the country and delivering brexit. Then surely there's not a lot the party sat opposite them in the house of commons as to object to.

Archived