The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Exactly this.

If no deal is so bad for the country and it is what everyone is desperate to avoid then surely Labour or Lib Dems will get a landslide victory in a General Election.

We've heard for the last 3 years about the Conservatives playing games and the country suffering because of uncertainty, huge opportunity to sort that out, right here, right now. 

The excuses are drying up and the lack of opposition is quite frankly becoming embarrassing. 

The only chance Labour would have had of winning an election would have been a new Labour leader ala Tony Blair. Due to Corbyns political beliefs he limits the number of people he is going to be be able to win over in seats currently held by the Tories. He is also somewhat shafted on the Brexit issue. If he did come out and explicitly back remain it would hit his non-London support where most of his constituencies voted leave and vice versa for his London seats if he backs leave. I haven't really been all that impressed by the Lib Dem leader either - all I ever here her saying is that the other two aren't fit to be Prime Minister.

As soon as the Tories lost their majority a new election should have been held rather than stringing things out like this. The Tories will definitely be the largest party in any election, but the question is whether they can gain an outright majority. I think they may actually do it this time and if nothing else it will be nice to have a government who actually has a majority to pass some of its legislation.

The tory party regain power by promising leave voters, the brexit they've want since the referendum.

What of all the other policies that the torys will implement after an election? How many of the, normally Labour voting, brexiteers who voted for the torys to get brexit, will be happy with the rest of the tory policies.

More worryingly how many seat could Farage's brexit party win? What sort of policies could they want introducing. If the they managed to get enough seat, to force the torys into a coalition government.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Tory majority incoming...

Unless a load of their no dealer voters defect to the Brexit party - who will also steal Labour votes in Leave areas. I'm not saying the Brexit Party will get that many seats, just that they could end up splitting both the left and right vote.

It's going to be an interesting one.

Just now, Van Wolfie said:

Unless a load of their no dealer voters defect to the Brexit party - who will also steal Labour votes in Leave areas. I'm not saying the Brexit Party will get that many seats, just that they could end up splitting both the left and right vote.

It's going to be an interesting one.

Or labour promise a referendum and the brexit voters are split between Tories and the brexit party

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

Or labour promise a referendum and the brexit voters are split between Tories and the brexit party

They've done that, though with options of Remain vs their new improved soft brexit deal - which they'll negotiate and then immediately campaign against.

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The tory party regain power by promising leave voters, the brexit they've want since the referendum.

What of all the other policies that the torys will implement after an election? How many of the, normally Labour voting, brexiteers who voted for the torys to get brexit, will be happy with the rest of the tory policies.

More worryingly how many seat could Farage's brexit party win? What sort of policies could they want introducing. If the they managed to get enough seat, to force the torys into a coalition government.

I'd be surprised if the BP win a single seat .

14 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I would be very surprised if the Brexit party won any seats at all. We already had DUP in power and there are no parties as backward or as ridiculous as that party regardless of your political views.

I very much doubt many labour voters will switch to Tories just to get Brexit, but if they do it will just be a return to the way things were during the Thatcher era with large swathes of the Midlands and the north being Tory blue.

56 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'd be surprised if the BP win a single seat .

53 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I would be very surprised if the Brexit party won any seats at all.

They don't have to. By taking 10-20% of the vote in Tory or Labour Leave areas, they could end up letting either of the other main parties in & have a big effect, without actually winning any themselves.

2 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

They don't have to. By taking 10-20% of the vote in Tory or Labour Leave areas, they could end up letting either of the other main parties in & have a big effect, without actually winning any themselves.

The chap i responded to was expressing his fear of what policies the Brexit party would implement if they won a number of seats. My response was that they will likely not win any seats. (Even if they win a handful their impact on policy will be marginal). If they don't win any at all they wont have any impact on policy.

They wont take anywhere near enough of the vote to let Labour in and certainly nowhere near enough for the Lib Dems.

The Labour MP's just put forward two amendments to be voted on before the main vote on the election date:

1. To allow 16 and 17 year old's to vote.

Only Malta and Greece, within the EU allow this age group to vote in an general election. This amendment is being backed by the SNP, Labour and Lib Dems.

2. To allow EU citizens to vote.

No EU country allows any person from another country to vote in their general election.

If these two amendments go through Boris Johnson says he will drop the vote for a general election. Where do we go to now?

3 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

The Labour MP's just put forward two amendments to be voted on before the main vote on the election date:

Only Malta and Greece, within the EU allow this age group to vote in an general election. This amendment is being backed by the SNP, Labour and Lib Dems.

No EU country allows any person from another country to vote in their general election.

If these two amendments go through Boris Johnson says he will drop the vote for a general election. Where do we go to now?

I really doubt that those ammendments will pass.... As far as I can tell they aren't labour policies however they've just been put forward by labour mps. 

13 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

Not so. Irish citizens can vote in UK elections if resident. 

Archived