The Politics Thread 2019

Day

The irony of all the madness that our country is putting it self through. Cameron allowed a referendum to be held, so as to stop the conservative party fragmenting and tory MPs defecting to Farage's ukip party. 

What have we now got after more than three years of this whole sorry mess? Farage and his recently formed brexit  party, the ukip party under a different name, offering to have a pact with the conservatives in the impending general election. The tories are refusing this offer at the moment but it will be interesting to see what they'll do nearer to an election if thing aren't going well for them.

As for stopping the fragmentation of the tory party, that's gone well hasn't it.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

So what is the redacted bit about ?

Something about fuel availability but is considered "commercially sensitive"?

From the Indescribablyboring...

The six-page Operation Yellowhammer document contains a short passage which has been blacked out, understood to contain warnings that government policies on zero per cent petrol import tariffs after Brexit will "inadvertently" lead to big financial losses for the industry and the closure of two refineries with around 2,000 direct job losses. The leaked version of the passage warned that resulting strike action at refineries "would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions they directly supply"

Not a dickybird about Yellowhammer on the front pages of the Brexity papers tomorrow.

I guess that poor people starving, being destitute or missing out on their medication just isn't important to them.

I'm only surprised they haven't all gone for a 24-page Lady Diana special pull-out.

23 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

Not a dickybird about Yellowhammer on the front pages of the Brexity papers tomorrow.

I guess that poor people starving, being destitute or missing out on their medication just isn't important to them.

I'm only surprised they haven't all gone for a 24-page Lady Diana special pull-out.

https://twitter.com/Byline_Media/status/1171856106882252802

£4,563,350,000 of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign"

That's not a headline you'll hear on BBC news or Piers Morgan tweeting about tomorrow......

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

£4,563,350,000 of aggregate short positions on a ‘no deal’ Brexit have been taken out by hedge funds that directly or indirectly bankrolled Boris Johnson’s leadership campaign"

That's not a headline you'll hear on BBC news or Piers Morgan tweeting about tomorrow......

If this were happening on the stock market it would be illegal insider trading. But because its happening on the FX markets its all legal. 

It's very, very wrong that the super rich have found a way to manipulate government in this way for their own benefit. Every single one of us will suffer. 

Whether you voted for Brexit or not, there no way this is what you either expected or wanted. We've all been conned well and good. 

11 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

Oh right. So you don't actually know this then. Opinion as fact etc. Oh we'll never mind. Cheers anyway

It's in the public domain. Not my problem you can't find it. Stop blaming others for your own failings.  Look above, others can find it.

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

If this were happening on the stock market it would be illegal insider trading. But because its happening on the FX markets its all legal. 

It's very, very wrong that the super rich have found a way to manipulate government in this way for their own benefit. Every single one of us will suffer. 

Whether you voted for Brexit or not, there no way this is what you either expected or wanted. We've all been conned well and good. 

The old adage of “follow the money” is very true in this case.

when Farage spouts “we’re taking back control “ ask yourself who the “we” are.

similarly when he (and others) spout that “a labour government led by Corbyn would be a disaster “ - who for, and why?

The latest FT headline has Corbyn supporting an extension to financial transaction taxes to forex and commodity trades. Now then - join the dots between those shorting sterling (betting against the uk) and oil prices (manipulating fuel costs) to those crying foul at labour proposals.

On 10/09/2019 at 20:53, bigbadbob said:

I did use the internet. This forum is on the internet and I asked you as you seemed to have specific information of where he has his money invested. I already have a fair whack invested in good so I've got that base covered. Anyway, back to johnson. Are all his investments offshore and in what does he have his money invested? The link you provided didn't give any information. I've tried using the internet, as you've suggested, but I can't find anything that answers my question. Apologies for asking again but, as you do seem to know, if you could enlighten me I'd appreciate it. Many thanks

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/?utm_source=bestforbritain.org

Shows a trend between leave supporters and shorting. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

But, but but, it can't be true...it's not on the front page of the sun, or the torygraph, and when I use google I can't find it, it's all a lie and it's the fault of the EU...

There you go brexiteers, got you an excuse you can build on.

So what is the brexiteers opinion on yellow hammer?

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

So what is the redacted bit about ?

Something about fuel availability but is considered "commercially sensitive"?

15. Facing EU tariffs makes petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability but UK Government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. This leads to significant financial losses and announcement of two refinery closures (and transition to import terminals) and direct job losses (about 2000). Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions directly supplied by the refineries.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Surely the most ardent backers of Brexit at any cost would be appalled by all this.

Some mega rich hedge funds want a No Deal Brexit as they know it will make the pound go down. They have gambled loads of money on the country suffering.

These same people donated to Johnson who wants a No Deal Brexit and would rather be dead in a ditch than getting one.

The government itself knows a No Deal Brexit will cause all sorts of problems and they they tried to keep the reports on this secret.

I'm appalled but also excited. This surely is the final nail in the coffin for Johnson and the ERG. And hopefully the Tories.

I think the sacrifice of the 21 Tory rebels  could be a huge moment in the history of the UK.

Archived