The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

May be not them but I do think the only way we will be allowed to leave the EU is on their terms which will leave us still attached. Based upon that there is no point in debating anything because I believe the future is already set out. The Brexiteers have had a shot but I’m afraid they have failed mainly due to them not having enough support. All we will get is a watered down version which in my opinion is pointless leaving because we will remove any say we have over policies by doing that.

Do you not think that the views and rights of the 48% need to be taken into account? That the path to a less divided society is to compromise? All or nothing is not a position that should be taken by a prime minister who claims to want to unite society.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Do you not think that the views and rights of the 48% need to be taken into account? That the path to a less divided society is to compromise? All or nothing is not a position that should be taken by a prime minister who claims to want to unite society.

I think you are either in or out a compromise is remaining in and still being attached to the EU or just leaving by name only. 

I would like to see us go on our own and be more independent but I can’t see it happen and I suspect we would just be a pawn for the US.

5 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I do have a mate who rants on about them and often sends pictures of them he is deadly serious. I personally can’t be bothered and accept what I am fed.

Does he go for the Mud Flood conspiracy? That's one of my favourites. Not the same class as space deniers or flat earthers but still absolute quality.

45 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Does he go for the Mud Flood conspiracy? That's one of my favourites. Not the same class as space deniers or flat earthers but still absolute quality.

I’ve not heard him mention them. I think some of it is to be different and to make out he knows something no one else knows but a couple of things he has mentioned is about North Korea and Iran not being controlled by the US banks and he had been going on about the Epstein stuff for years.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It'd be OK if, in the event of no deal, he was offering reparations to everyone who voted remain. Give me £500k and I'll gladly go and live in Denmark. That's the sort of compromise that I'd be happy with

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The only thing I am sure of in all of this is that feelings run very deep on the topic and the divisions this has created may take decades to heal - a bit like the miners strike which set communities against each other and even now generates strong emotions.

I think we'll remain (more or less) and life will go on more or less the same. The same phantom causes to our problems will continue and the real issues will never properly be addressed.

And we'll never appreciate how close we came to disaster.

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

Oh no we won't, think about all those high end luxury motors we need to export, Citroen, Peugeot, Renault, Dacia. It's not just the Krauts you know...

After the record rate of Cabinet resignations under Theresa May, I presumed that everyone wanting to be in the new government (and certainly in the Cabinet) would have been made to formally sign a declaration of intent that they would do everything in their power to leave by 31st October and to ensure their own ministry was prepared, and would be steadfastly committed to keeping "no deal" on the table and leaving under those terms if necessary.

Boris has steadfastly stuck to his campaign promises to Tory MPs and Members that saw him elected leader. Amber Rudd's resignation is calculated and scheming, intended to damage him and his administration. But it's very poor of them if they cannot show the world in writing that she signed up to all of this beforehand.

Everyone is piling in right now but if he can gt to 19th October the whole thing shifts in his favour. At that point the anti-Brexit parties have to come together and make shabby backroom deals and alliances if they are again to frustrate us leaving. And the people will be very unforgiving when the inevitable election comes.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Tory MPs and Members that saw him elected leader.

92,000 voted for Johnson to be prime minister.  He knows he is in a vacuum, and is doing his best to get his name written into the history books, and make sure the ERG are profiting at the chaos that he is creating.

He and the ERG voting against every proposal May tabled, regarding the deal.  He then sacks the 21 that disagreed with him.  He is a hypocrite, only out for himself and his mates like JRM.  He doesn't care, leave suits him, because his investments, all off shore, benefit from a failed UK economy and a crippled pound. 

As for the other glove puppet opposition leader, just change a few words, same effect.

19 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Did I hear correctly this morning about Labours plan on Brexit should they win a GE.

They propose to renegotiate a deal with the EU and then hold a referendum to accept the deal or remain in the EU.

How would that work? 

Quite simply actually. If Labour somehow won a GE, and with No Deal ruled out, the best deal available will be May's deal. As They would want to renegotiate that deal, any new deal will be considerably worse. Therefore, when a second referendum occurs, remain would easily win.

Archived