The Politics Thread 2019

David

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Farage now seems to spout that the only Brexit is a “clean” Brexit (which I assume means no compromise to the EU and therefore no deal).

this appears to be the basis of his electoral pact offer.

I can’t quite make up my mind whether he is simply being played and is an idiot, or he’s one of the players and hence a charlatan......

He's no idiot. He's one of the players. Ran his own City firm "Farage Futures" for a decade. His father and brother both work or worked in the City too. He knows exactly what he's doing and he and his chums will be in the money. Money that used to be in our pockets. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

He's no idiot. He's one of the players. Ran his own City firm "Farage Futures" for a decade. His father and brother both work or worked in the City too. He knows exactly what he's doing and he and his chums will be in the money. Money that used to be in our pockets. 

Yesterday The Brexit Party took a full wrap-around advert on the front pages of the Daily Express. Who paid for that  -and to what ends?

Leave voters who complain about the EU subverting our democracy need to look a little closer to home

4 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

"We've heard enough from experts".

Prophetic words from Gove a few years ago.

yes, I always ask the blokes down the pub  what's wrong when I'm ill instead of seeing a doctor.

New boiler needed? Don't ring a plumber, Auntie Sylvia will sort it out. 

Want to know how Brexit will affect medicine supply? Don't bother with NHS executives, ask a former stockbroker in the pay of the Russians. 

Experts? pfft!

15 minutes ago, sage said:

yes, I always ask the blokes down the pub  what's wrong when I'm ill instead of seeing a doctor.

Want to know how Brexit will affect medicine supply? Don't bother with NHS executives, ask a former stockbroker in the pay of the Russians. 

Experts? pfft!

I love this post so much I'm willing to let it share my body bag

17 minutes ago, sage said:

Experts? pfft!

Have read of this …. this is exactly where we are as a country ..

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/the-bluffocracy-how-britain-ended-up-being-run-by-eloquent-chancers/

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

For what its worth I'm still patiently waiting for Brexit to be delivered - a clean break from Europe, not the crappy tied in indefinitely May deal.  

There is literally no point in engaging on this forum however as the conversation just goes round in circles and then you get called stupid or racist. 

I have not called anyone stupid or a racist.  If you think I have, then you need thicker skin, it's an internet forum, not a battleground.

11 hours ago, maxjam said:

For what its worth I'm still patiently waiting for Brexit to be delivered - a clean break from Europe, not the crappy tied in indefinitely May deal.  

There is literally no point in engaging on this forum however as the conversation just goes round in circles and then you get called stupid or racist. 

Well that's not on and I may have been culpable, although certainly not I think to you. But in the interests of healing and bringing people together, would you say that the responses to those folk who are genuinely concerned about the (possibly short term) downside risks to Brexit are being properly and respectfully addressed by the leave side? Even acknowledged, rather than being rubbished as "project fear"?

Respect surely has to be a 2-way street or we do, as you say, go round in circles and get shriller by the day......

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I have not called anyone stupid or a racist.  If you think I have, then you need thicker skin, it's an internet forum, not a battleground.

A football forum about Derby County.

You don’t need to call it direct there are stealth ways of doing things and I have seen plenty of examples of that.

Watched a speech Dominic Cummings gave back in 2017. Don't ask for the link, I haven't got a clue how to do it.

Cummings spoke about the strategies used by the leave campaign he head during the referendum. He stated  how they targeted voters with specific advertising that didn't have anything to do with the EU. That they targeted people who were feeling disenfranchised not just by the government but by anyone they deemed to have power over their lives. People who were unhappy with the long period of austerity and having to pay for the financial crash, while seeing the bankers who caused it, still living the good life.

So the the leave campaign implied that if you voted leave, you were also getting one over the establishment.

The funny thing is, is that the establishment, the billionaires the rich bankers, who these targeted leave voters thought they were voting against, were the very people who were bankrolling the leave campaign.

As a lot of people are now realising, it's the billionaires and rich bankers who will be the only ones to benefit from brexit. 

So much for, as the Americans would say, sticking it to the man. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Watched a speech Dominic Cummings gave back in 2017. Don't ask for the link, I haven't got a clue how to do it.

Cummings spoke about the strategies used by the leave campaign he head during the referendum. He stated  how they targeted voters with specific advertising that didn't have anything to do with the EU. That they targeted people who were feeling disenfranchised not just by the government but by anyone they deemed to have power over their lives. People who were unhappy with the long period of austerity and having to pay for the financial crash, while seeing the bankers who caused it, still living the good life.

So the the leave campaign implied that if you voted leave, you were also getting one over the establishment.

The funny thing is, is that the establishment, the billionaires the rich bankers, who these targeted leave voters thought they were voting against, were the very people who were bankrolling the leave campaign.

As a lot of people are now realising, it's the billionaires and rich bankers who will be the only ones to benefit from brexit. 

So much for, as the Americans would say, sticking it to the man. 

Again your opinion only.

How do you know the whole country won’t benefit from leaving the EU?

I am deeply saddened by the intolerance from both sides shown to people who voted differently to them. The other day a little old lady, whose husband was a veteran of WW2 was reduced to tears in a Derby supermarket because she happened to say that life in the UK was fine before we entered the EU. A group of remainers rounded on her for daring to express an opinion. It was bullying and outrageous behaviour and no doubt leavers have been guilty of such behaviour too. I have friends and family who voted differently to me. They are intelligent and well informed people and although we disagree I respect their opinions and they respect mine . At no time have we fallen out. When did people become so rude, aggressive and intolerant? I have written to my MP saying that our politicians are showing a complete lack of respect to each other and to us the electorate and should be setting an example and working together for the benefit of the country. It is politicians that deserve the anger, not friends, family and work colleagues.

Here’s an example of the people on here.

The Government produces a paper that doesn’t read how they want it to. People on here ‘ it’s all lies, they are lying, it’s made up’.

The Government produces a paper that gives the worst case scenario about Brexit. People on here ‘this is gospel, told you so, I am right and far superior ‘.

1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

Here’s an example of the people on here.

The Government produces a paper that doesn’t read how they want it to. People on here ‘ it’s all lies, they are lying, it’s made up’.

The Government produces a paper that gives the worst case scenario about Brexit. People on here ‘this is gospel, told you so, I am right and far superior ‘.

Government produces a document called "baseline analysis".  People who feared Brexit may be disastrous are worried.

Government renames it "worst case". People who ignored the fears are enthusiastic about it, completely missing the point that the best case scenario is that some of them don't happen.

13 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Max has explained in the past that he is a big fan of free speech, and that we shouldn’t deplatform people who we think have more extreme views than us. We should debate them, prove them wrong and then the bad ideas will give up and pipe down. We had many back and forths on here and whilst it’s sad that he doesn’t feel it’s worth him posting on here anymore, perhaps that’s just the natural conclusion of debate? For what it’s worth, in my opinion he’s definitely not stupid.

Archived