Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

God, some of our fans really did buy into the ''Frank Lampard's Derby County'' thing. At the end of the day, we survived before Frank, we'll survive after Frank, he's likeable and did a decent job. That's it. Our club isn't going to collapse if he leaves, we'll get a new manager and go again.

But you only have to look back at the drivel we’ve had in the past few years and can see why people won’t be happy about them leaving. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally the Daily telegraph, a more reliable source than the DET and whatever other made up/exaggerated clickbait that we’ve had. I’d still be surprised however no matter how far down the list of chelseas options they get by others turning down the job that they could end up at a bloke with only 1 year managerial experience. He needs more time at this level and higher before he’s ready for that job. There surely has to be someone else who’d be willing to take the gamble with the transfer ban? Surely Gracia could be tempted, given Chelsea have nothing else to spend the money on. Not convinced as a Chelsea fan I’d be particulary enamoured with such an appointment, but what do I know.

32 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Lampard and relegation should never be mentioned in the same sentence. He was born a winner. 

To lose Lampard and Jody Morris now would be the worse thing that’s happened to this club for a long time. 

First team, academy, supporters, the pair have glued us together. 

I was merely pointing out the fact of sense and loyalty that Frank should have towards Derby that a lot of posters have harped on about

So many things I just don't care about any more - this is just another to add to the list.

Saying that, I an currently drinking a Trappistes Rochefort 10. It helps to put things into perspective.

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I suppose I bought into the Frank Lampard’s Derby County thing. Why ? Because it made me feel as good as when I open a new bottle of Aventus. I loved seeing him with a Ram on his chest, is that really such a bad thing ?

Since I assume this is in relation to my post, no, it's a good thing, I did too, I just don't want the inevitable anti Derby backlash from some of our fans who will inevitably somehow find a way to blame Mel or the club if Frank leaves. 

This morning I was certain this wasn't going to happen but as the day has progressed, I guess there isn't smoke without fire.  I think it would be a reckless move by Chelsea and an unwise, yet understandable, decision by Lampard.  If it happens, then he would leave with my best wishes and thanks for putting us back on the map and an enjoyable season.  He isn't gone just yet though.

With Frank, Uncle Mel has finally seen the club emerging that we had hoped for.  A young, vibrant side full of optimism and playing (mostly) attractive football.  Yes, there is still a degree of naivety around but that is something that a manager with a bit more experience (which could yet still be Frank) might be able to resolve, putting us in our best position for at least a decade.

The good news is that, if this does happen, there is actually quite a few decent options this time around and I have absolutely no fears that we will be lumbered with one of the old clique (a la Sam, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis) that has worried me when the position has previously been vacant.

Basically, Frank is our manager, but if he leaves, it is far from the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Finally the Daily telegraph, a more reliable source than the DET and whatever other made up/exaggerated clickbait that we’ve had. I’d still be surprised however no matter how far down the list of chelseas options they get by others turning down the job that they could end up at a bloke with only 1 year managerial experience. He needs more time at this level and higher before he’s ready for that job. There surely has to be someone else who’d be willing to take the gamble with the transfer ban? Surely Gracia could be tempted, given Chelsea have nothing else to spend the money on. Not convinced as a Chelsea fan I’d be particulary enamoured with such an appointment, but what do I know.

The Telegraph article offers up a convincing case for him joining Chelsea. ?  The incredulity surrounding him only having 1 year in management seems to ignore what he has achieved with youngsters in our team and what his right-hand man knows about the youngsters at Chelsea.  In that sense, they are buying a proven capability to develop youth and that has to be high on their list of priorities, given their circumstances.

21 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

“Lack of options”, im sure that’s the vote of confidence he’d be looking for!

Still nothing to suggest he’s going, im looking forward to the reports on Sunday when he’s spotted at Stamford Bridge for that charity game. 

“Lampard’s in the ground, that must mean talks are still ongoing”

I would be absolutely amazed if he wasn't in the ground .Big charity football match being played there with ex team mates playing and other footballing associates .

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Lets look at this another way

Now we all agree Frank has got a good footballing brain as a player and beginning to show it as a manager, not just on the field but off it. For how long Frank was at Chelsea do you not think he has a good inside knowledge of how the club operates and got on well with RA. Who would be the best man for the job, a manager who knows the club inside out or a foreign manager who knows nothing about the club ( in the literal sense) i know who i would rather have

7 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

This morning I was certain this wasn't going to happen but as the day has progressed, I guess there isn't smoke without fire.  I think it would be a reckless move by Chelsea and an unwise, yet understandable, decision by Lampard.  If it happens, then he would leave with my best wishes and thanks for putting us back on the map and an enjoyable season.  He isn't gone just yet though.

With Frank, Uncle Mel has finally seen the club emerging that we had hoped for.  A young, vibrant side full of optimism and playing (mostly) attractive football.  Yes, there is still a degree of naivety around but that is something that a manager with a bit more experience (which could yet still be Frank) might be able to resolve, putting us in our best position for at least a decade.

The good news is that, if this does happen, there is actually quite a few decent options this time around and I have absolutely no fears that we will be lumbered with one of the old clique (a la Sam, Hughes, Pardew, Pulis) that has worried me when the position has previously been vacant.

Basically, Frank is our manager, but if he leaves, it is far from the end of the world.

I agree, it’s the end of the universe ???

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Based on our past few years? We're invariably in and around the playoffs with any manager, I mean even bloody Rowett could accomplish it. Lamps did bring a feel good factor. However, he's no more successful than our other recent managers. I'm more taking issue with our fans who seem to think the world will collapse without him, we've had better managers before him and probably will have better ones after him.

We went to Wembley with him, we progressed further in cups than any of the previous managers under Mels ownership, no the world will not collapse without him. However he has proved in his short tenure that he has what it takes to take us to the next level, whoever comes in to replace him you can’t guarantee that, yes we have had better managers but we have had a lot worse ones, especially recently.

Just now, AdamRam said:

We went to Wembley with him, we progressed further in cups than any of the previous managers under Mels ownership, no the world will not collapse without him. However he has proved in his short tenure that he has what it takes to take us to the next level, whoever comes in to replace him you can’t guarantee that, yes we have had better managers but we have had a lot worse ones, especially recently.

How has he shown that he can take us to the next level? We're in exactly the same situation as this time last year, I enjoyed the season don't get me wrong, but let's not pretend it was all amazing, we lost plenty of easy games to rubbish teams at the bottom like Bolton and Rotherham. It's easy to look at the glamorous games, but nothing our team showed this year was as good as the last team we had at Wembley.

I'm not saying it's great to lose him, I just don't think it's the end of the world. Maybe we will get a crap manager if we need a new one, and maybe we'll get a better one.

13 minutes ago, RedSox said:

The Telegraph article offers up a convincing case for him joining Chelsea. ?  The incredulity surrounding him only having 1 year in management seems to ignore what he has achieved with youngsters in our team and what his right-hand man knows about the youngsters at Chelsea.  In that sense, they are buying a proven capability to develop youth and that has to be high on their list of priorities, given their circumstances.

Devolping youngsters only takes you so far though. And it’s only been shown in one season. It’d be a serious gamble.

10 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Lets look at this another way

Now we all agree Frank has got a good footballing brain as a player and beginning to show it as a manager, not just on the field but off it. For how long Frank was at Chelsea do you not think he has a good inside knowledge of how the club operates and got on well with RA. Who would be the best man for the job, a manager who knows the club inside out or a foreign manager who knows nothing about the club ( in the literal sense) i know who i would rather have

He’ll know how the club operates and he’ll know RA doesn’t tolerate failure of any kind. The best manager is the best man for the job. Lampard is not the best manager out there, I refuse to believe that.

Archived