Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point is Waghorn is still a poor mans Nuge. That doesn't make him better than Martin nor Marriott.

Waghorn is a completely different type of player to Nugent. And he’s better than him as well by a country mile (now, anyway). Whether he’s better than Marriott is debatable imo, but he’s an absolute mile better than Martin is now. And a much more similar style as well. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Waghorn is a completely different type of player to Nugent. And he’s better than him as well by a country mile (now, anyway). Whether he’s better than Marriott is debatable imo, but he’s an absolute mile better than Martin is now. And a much more similar style as well. 

In your opinion.

He's hardly shown much other than somewhat of a willingness to put himself about (on the ground), is that enough, what we needed and worth the money (yet more of poor Mels millions!)...

1 hour ago, David said:

I would be surprised if many share the view that he’s a poor mans Nugent. At this point I’m wondering if Waghorn has eaten your hamster or something?

Unfortunately and I like Nugent, another great character to have around, he is one player that appears to be past it, real shame we couldn’t have had him in his prime. 

Nuge hasn’t had a great season but I can understand (having met him)while he’s still at the club.

He’s completely passionate about doing his best and he really cares about the club.

5 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Nuge hasn’t had a great season but I can understand (having met him)while he’s still at the club.

He’s completely passionate about doing his best and he really cares about the club.

Said it earlier but it’s just as important building a team off it, having characters like Nugent around can be key. Sadly I think he’s shown that on the pitch he is in decline and you can’t just carry dressing room players. He’s out of contract and I don’t expect it to be renewed, gutted we couldn’t have had him a few years ago.

1 minute ago, David said:

Said it earlier but it’s just as important building a team off it, having characters like Nugent around can be key. Sadly I think he’s shown that on the pitch he is in decline and you can’t just carry dressing room players. He’s out of contract and I don’t expect it to be renewed, gutted we couldn’t have had him a few years ago.

He was in decline when Mac signed him. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I know it’s unfashionable to agree with you but agreed?

Just now, Curtains said:

He was in decline when Mac signed him. 

True, but he still had something to give, almost hit double figures last season. This year feels like the higher tempo is a bit too much for him, covering so much ground looks to tire much quicker and his finishing has been way off when the balls dropped to him.

It’s time to say goodbye come May.

2 minutes ago, David said:

True, but he still had something to give, almost hit double figures last season. This year feels like the higher tempo is a bit too much for him, covering so much ground looks to tire much quicker and his finishing has been way off when the balls dropped to him.

It’s time to say goodbye come May.

He’s done his best for us. 

What has Waghorn and Nugent got to do with the OP 

15 minutes ago, Curtains said:

He’s done his best for us. 

What has Waghorn and Nugent got to do with the OP 

My fault. 

@kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong Posted his managerial dream team of McClaren, Simpson and Clough upstairs if Lampard was to leave, as a big fan of a 2013 reunion with Hughes, Russell, Martin and co. I knocked up a picture of a 80 year old Chris Martin for a quick joke as it can feel a bit like Groundhog Day never moving forward.

I should have known better how that would have gone, didn’t help that I posted another quick line on Waghorn being a ship at £5m from a video posted by the club.

Remember that episode of Only Fools and Horse where a drunken Del starts singing outside Nelson Mandela house and triggers a riot? I pretty much did that without a drop of alcohol.

6 minutes ago, David said:

My fault. 

@kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong Posted his managerial dream team of McClaren, Simpson and Clough upstairs if Lampard was to leave, as a big fan of a 2013 reunion with Hughes, Russell, Martin and co. I knocked up a picture of a 80 year old Chris Martin for a quick joke as it can feel a bit like Groundhog Day never moving forward.

I didn't see your post. It's Groundhog Day until the error of Bill Murray's ways are remedied - he finds and admits true love. No wonder it's still Groundhog Day, we threw true love away!

12 minutes ago, David said:

My fault. 

I should have known better how that would have gone, didn’t help that I posted another quick line on Waghorn being a ship at £5m from a video posted by the club.

Remember that episode of Only Fools and Horse where a drunken Del starts singing outside Nelson Mandela house and triggers a riot? I pretty much did that without a drop of alcohol.

Talking of Clough .

How well did Burton play today lol. 

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In your opinion.

He's hardly shown much other than somewhat of a willingness to put himself about (on the ground), is that enough, what we needed and worth the money (yet more of poor Mels millions!)...

agreed roy

having watched waggers first hand over most of the games hes played at home for us,ive seen him decline from what was a fairly modest starting  point.....his first touch,hold up play and decisiveness have all gone astray so quite how you can rate him so highly millennium ram is a mystery to me and i say that from the standpoint of someone who really wanted him to do well as he seemed to be the type of player i would like.

nuge has gone off the boil as well but is at least as effective as waghorn when he comes on and to be honest makes more of an impact.

in view of the general decline of our strikeforce (and its not completely down to us missing mount and if it is thats crazy) its not completely down to the players,lamps coaching and team selection must be playing a significant part as all three were pretty prolific last year with other teams .

Other than marriott none of them have really shone to be honest and we will be lucky if we get twenty goals in the league between them which isnt a very good sign at all.

I like Lampard and think he is doing okay but the media circus surrounding him is embarrassing and makes you wonder what'd be like if we were actually doing better. If it was Rowett still at the club I suspect the press would be writing articles about how Derby are currently slipping down the table having got into playoffs last year and the pressure mounting on him with trigger happy Mel waiting to pounce. With Lampard our position is a "blip" and a departure from our Barcelona style football and FL is soon to take us back into the promised land. Quite frankly if he goes to Chelsea I wouldn't be that bothered and that is not because I don't rate him but rather it is still far too early to tell whether he has the aptitude or not. He hasn't achieved anything at Derby yet so one wonders how he can be expected to waltz into a club with less than a years experience and compete with the likes of Man City...if there is truth to the rumours, more fool Chelsea.

7 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

He hasn't achieved anything at Derby yet so one wonders how he can be expected to waltz into a club with less than a years experience and compete with the likes of Man City...if there is truth to the rumours, more fool Chelsea.

Same way as at Man U?

49 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Same way as at Man U?

Is OGS the next Fergie then? Or when they lose a couple next year and can't keep pace with City and Liverpool they'll want him out? It is early days isn't it there? Not going to knock OGS given he has done a really good job so far of a bad situation to walk into but the expectations at a club like Utd are obviously massive and he will be judged on what he wins. If he wins trophies next year then fair play to him but if i was a betting man I'd wager the tenure ending trophyless. Happy to be proven wrong, no axe to grind.

2 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Is OGS the next Fergie then? Or when they lose a couple next year and can't keep pace with City and Liverpool they'll want him out? It is early days isn't it there? Not going to knock OGS given he has done a really good job so far of a bad situation to walk into but the expectations at a club like Utd are obviously massive and he will be judged on what he wins. If he wins trophies next year then fair play to him but if i was a betting man I'd wager the tenure ending trophyless. Happy to be proven wrong, no axe to grind.

I agree but I meant it could be seen the same, and so Lampard to Chelsea.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:We'd have been better off playing chris martin this year, and keeping the £5m waggers fee for an ffp related rainy day

my point wasn't to compare waggers with chris, it was more that we can't keep spending spending spending, especially after having already spent £6m on Marriott and jozefzoon.

waggers reminds me of gabbiadini. Stocky. A bit of a bull in a china shop. We seem to be slightly vague on where to play him. Do we play two up front - marriott and waggers?. Or does waggers play wide at the expense of playing a more natural right sided attacking player. No doubt he's a good pro and kind to animals but the bits of the jigsaw don't seem to quite fit. 

Chris martin will be pretty much the same player we had before. Pace was never an asset. He could also play up front with marriott and drop deep to help the link up play. The attacking midfield positions are adequately covered by lawrence, mount, wilson, holmes, jozefzoon, bennett, (and thomas). Tbh i would rather have signed marriott's team-mate marcus maddison and had a natural left footer in there, (and have spent a bit less). But these are the decisions that managers get judged on. Sometimes we need to be a bit more patient. Don't blow every penny in a mad rush to assemble a promotion team. It very rarely works that a successful team is built in one season.  Lets be a bit more savvy and cautious with regards to spending. 

After Frank's first season we will be losing martin and nugent etc and thats when we might want the cash to buy another striker. Alternatively we might want a central midfielder or a centre half. What would our priority be? 

53 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

I’ve thought from the moment OGS showed up that Sir Alex is having quite a lot to do with it. 

Archived