Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Waggers,the definition of jack of all trades and master of none unfortunately....it's all very well playing in lots of positions but not if you arent brilliant at any of them.

Better than Martin who can only play one position and isn’t any good at that anymore though...

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Waghorn is the definition of a team player, a striker although is willing to put a shift in out wide when needed, and what he has done for us. 

I realise he has taken Chris Martin's number 9 shirt, but that doesn't mean you have to be derogatory to him, not his fault Martin has been loaned out and doesn't appear to have a future at this club. 

In what way am I being derogatory towards him?

it's my opinion that he isn't a particularly good wide player and he hasn't been a very effective striker either.... certainly not five million pounds worth of effective striker in any case.

The ability to run about a lot 'putting in a shift' with a winning smile perhaps isn't my primary concern when I'm looking for a player to wear the number 9 shirt.

My expectations of him were higher and I still hope he can improve...his previous reputation suggests he can be a much better player than we have seen.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Martin who has scored as many league goals as Waghorn this season.

Not sure where you are getting your stats from this season, first claimed Waghorn was older than Martin and now this which isn’t true.

Waghorn has 4 Champonship goals this season, the 2 goals that beat Hull at Pride Park, 1 which earnt us a point v Bristol City and another against Hull at the KC Stadium.

He’s also scored 2 in the League Cup and 2 in the FA Cup.

Martin has scored 2 goals in the Championship this season, that’s it.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure where you are getting your stats from this season, first claimed Waghorn was older than Martin and now this which isn’t true.

Waghorn has 4 Champonship goals this season, the 2 goals that beat Hull at Pride Park, 1 which earnt us a point v Bristol City and another against Hull at the KC Stadium...

I never did say the first - I said Waghorn wasn't that much younger than Martin when another poster went on about him being one for the future.

The second I blame on Wiki stats.

Still not a snip at £5m and not particularly amusing either. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Waghorn has 4 Champonship goals this season, the 2 goals that beat Hull at Pride Park, 1 which earnt us a point v Bristol City and another against Hull at the KC Stadium.

He’s also scored 2 in the League Cup and 2 in the FA Cup.

1.25 million per league goal then...that's what I call value in anyone's books.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Martin who has scored as many league goals as Waghorn this season.

Wrong now. But looking on Wiki I didn't see this at the top of his stats columns "

Career statistics[edit]

As of match played 16 January 2019 [70]"

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I never did say the first - I said Waghorn wasn't that much younger than Martin when another poster went on about him being one for the future.

The second I blame on Wiki stats.

Still not a snip at £5m and not particularly amusing either. 

You did say that. “Waghorn is about a year older than Chris Martin”, your words. Have you thought about writing for the Daily Mail?

A821B7D0-57D1-4574-A5CB-CA3816A76D15.jpeg

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

1.25 million per league goal then...that's what I call value in anyone's books.

That’s not how you value footballers though is it.

Are goalkeepers fees divided by clean sheets?

7 minutes ago, David said:

You did say that. “Waghorn is about a year older than Chris Martin”, your words. Have you thought about writing for the Daily Mail?

A821B7D0-57D1-4574-A5CB-CA3816A76D15.jpeg

I meant to put younger - I think I reiterated what I meant to put later in the thread when you went on about it. You conveniently don't quote Waghorn and Martins age like you did goals. Martin is about 14 months older than 'one for the future' Waghorn.

I really like Waghorn but I think we could have been wiser with cash considering how plotless we’re supposed to be.

I think saving 5 million and keeping Martin might have been better value.

I realise they’re different players.

Sheff Utd got McGoldrick instead of Waghorn.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I meant to put younger - I think I reiterated what I meant to put later in the thread when you went on about it. You conveniently don't quote Waghorn and Martins age like you did goals. Martin is about 14 months older than 'one for the future' Waghorn.

Why would I quote ages? Can you find one post, one tweet anywhere from any fan on the internet that has suggested Waghorn is one for the future because I doubt they have.

I’m not even sure why you are comparing Waghorn to Martin, why not Marriott? Because he hasn’t taken the number 9 shirt, or because the age and any other stat you want to throw out is not favourable for Martin?

You’re taking your grievances that Martin is not in Lampard’s plans out on Waghorn which isn’t fair, neither is comparing transfer fees.

Martin was out of contract was he not? Norwich didn’t want him. Derby were battling with Boro for Waghorn’s signature, it drove the price up, we wanted him and paid for it. That’s not Waghorn’s fault, why not judge him for what he does on the pitch not fake Wiki stats and without comparing him to past players.

He’s started 20 games into a 3 year contract scoring 4 vital goals which have alone helped us pick up 7pts, he could go on to score even more vital goals for us next year, look at the stick Vydra cake in for, the next season Championship top scorer.

Give the guy a chance, he’s not Martin no and he hasn’t been introduced as his replacement either. Martin hasn’t been in our plans for a long time now, long before Waghorn arrived. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Why would I quote ages? Can you find one post, one tweet anywhere from any fan on the internet that has suggested Waghorn is one for the future because I doubt they have.

... how would you read '2-3 years at the top of his game' then? When Martin is seen as 'past his best' at at only 14 months older.

Don't think that Waghorn being ordinary is anything at all to do with Martin. 

56 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Yet the club are still going ahead with a DCFC Fan Forum next week, if there was speculation regarding the manager, the club would not be hosting such an event.

I wish these journalists would do proper research rather than rely on gossip.

Where would forums be without gossip - just wish some people wouldn't assume it's fact.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

... how would you read '2-3 years at the top of his game' then? When Martin is seen as 'past his best' at at only 14 months older.

Don't think that Waghorn being ordinary is anything at all to do with Martin. 

I’ve not said he’s past his best.

I said not to compare players with past players, as in ex’s, because that’s what I see Martin as now and I’m sure he was on the list of players the club would have liked to have moved on permanently this season with Blackman, Butterfield and Anya.

Yes he’s still contracted to the club, another year left, but I don’t see what he has done at Hull to come back and put himself ahead of Marriott and Waghorn.

I would be surprised if we see him wearing a Derby shirt again outside an early pre season friendly.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I’ve not said he’s past his best..but I don’t see what he has done at Hull to come back and put himself ahead of Marriott and Waghorn.

I would be surprised if we see him wearing a Derby shirt again outside an early pre season friendly.

The point is Waghorn is still a poor mans Nuge. That doesn't make him better than Martin nor Marriott.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The point is Waghorn is still a poor mans Nuge. That doesn't make him better than Martin nor Marriott.

I would be surprised if many share the view that he’s a poor mans Nugent. At this point I’m wondering if Waghorn has eaten your hamster or something?

Unfortunately and I like Nugent, another great character to have around, he is one player that appears to be past it, real shame we couldn’t have had him in his prime. 

Just now, David said:

I would be surprised if many share the view that he’s a poor mans Nugent. At this point I’m wondering if Waghorn has eaten your hamster or something?

Unfortunately and I like Nugent, another great character to have around, he is one player that appears to be past it, real shame we couldn’t have had him in his prime. 

Waghorn atm has all of Nuge's characteristics but little of his quality of old. But whereas Nuge has something to rest his laurels on and can be allowed to be a jolly fellow, Waghorn is just (atm) a jolly fellow - laughing all the way to the bank, no doubt. ?

Archived