FAN just decked Grealish

irobinson

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I went to several Slavia - Sparta matches over the years and I can tell you the riot police do a brilliant job. They took the brunt of the missiles (including the gravel that lined the terrace at one game) to such an extent that the 2 sets of supporters almost forgot about each other.

But that rather misses the point. All you are doing is providing a different focal point rather than reducing or removing the undesirable acts.

The atmosphere was dreadful - menacing -  and it wasn't a Prague derby. 

40 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Was in Prague for the weekend and we went to see sparta late Saturday afternoon. 

About a 20,000 capacity ground. No visible away support. What looked like several hundred of the hugest riot cops I've ever seen all armed to the teeth. 

Not a price worth paying for the occasional nut job imo. 

I've been to a few games in Germany, and whilst it's initially jarring to see armed police at the stadium you soon forget about them. I've also been to a Bohemians game in Prague and didn't find the police particularly intrusive.

I'm not saying it's the right solution for this country, simply pointing out that the idea is in no way as outlandish as some in this thread are making out.

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Fine - if highly paid role models being arrogant makes your tail hard - each to their own.

Likewise, I happen to think that being a top level professional footballer is a privilege, and with it should come a responsibility to not act like a an idiot and recognise that people who earn a tiny fraction of what you earn spend their money on watching you play. You are a role model to a generation of kids. Is it really that difficult to be a decent human being?

We all love it when we see footballers in the dressing room with disabled kids, or visiting people in a local hospital - so why get so defensive over those that let the fans down?

Why are they role models? Any parent who lets their kids have football players as role models needs locking up themselves.!

Sith Happens
50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The 'fan' has got 14 week prison sentence and 10 year ban from football grounds

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11662275/fan-who-attacked-jack-grealish-sentenced-to-14-weeks-in-prison

I think its a fair sentence though i doubt he will serve all 14 weeks.

Struggle to see how they can stop him attending matches, although I quite like what they said on TalkSport earlier suggesting whenever Birmingham are playing, home or away, he should either have to wear a tag or report to the local police station to prove he is not attending the match.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I don't know if I'd trust our police with guns, but this is the case in Germany. You know, the country that is constantly cited as the model we wish to follow regarding safe standing in stadiums and fan behavior.

I doubt the German police have ever drawn their guns, let alone fired, at a football match. Can you imagine using a firearm at such an event? 

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

But that rather misses the point. All you are doing is providing a different focal point rather than reducing or removing the undesirable acts.

The atmosphere was dreadful - menacing -  and it wasn't a Prague derby. 

My point is that carnage was averted. All that was lost was the little shed for the lawnmower and the mower itself  torched by the Sparta fans who had brought their own petrol.

I’m pretty sure that at that particular game, the police presence allowed the game to go ahead. But, it was a different set of circumstances - years of pent up hate for Sparta, the beneficiaries of communism, and a sense of entitlement on the part of Sparta fans, with years of getting away with it behind them. It’s not something that would help here because the football culture is quite different. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Do parents select their kids role models? I wasn't aware that was the case.

Well I certainly wouldn’t let my son have a footballer as a role model...!!! I would think that any decent parent would themselves be the role model for their children. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I doubt the German police have ever drawn their guns, let alone fired, at a football match. Can you imagine using a firearm at such an event? 

Many years ago when I was in my twenties I was walking round Monaco without my shirt on with my then girlfriend .Up comes a copper waving his arms around and poking me .

Go away says I to the copper at which point out comes his gun and on goes my shirt.

23 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Well I certainly wouldn’t let my son have a footballer as a role model...!!! I would think that any decent parent would themselves be the role model for their children. 

How would you stop him? People, including kids, choose their own role models. You can't dictate to them who their role models will be. You can guide, warn and advise them but, at the end of the day they'll decide. It might be a footballer, TV/film/game character, relative, friend etc but I don't believe you can actually PREVENT them, in their own minds, making a choose. 

7 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Many years ago when I was in my twenties I was walking round Monaco without my shirt on with my then girlfriend .Up comes a copper waving his arms around and poking me .

Go away says I to the copper at which point out comes his gun and on goes my shirt.

Sounds incredibly heavy handed, I didn't realise Monaco was so dangerous, and not quite the same as pulling out a gun in a large crown.

Archived