Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a way, I'm quite pleased so many people are pissed off today, maybe the FA cup does still have some magic left?

A better second half, though I suspect that was as much to do with Brighton being happy to keep what they had than us suddenly turning it up a few levels.

Keogh outstanding again, Roos was again very capable, and has certainly earned an contract extension under the spotlight of 1st team football these past few games. 

A professional performance from Brighton, they may have had a second string feel, but I think that shows the difference Premier League money makes to a team that weren't too far apart from us ability wise a few seasons back.

I thought they got away with quite a cynical ploy of leaving one on Wilson at every opportunity, not helped by having a lifelong Forest fan reffing the match, how he keeps on getting Derby matches is beyond me, especially when they're not local to Newark.

Nugent had nothing to work with, but I do wish he'd turn around and launch a volley at whoever gives him a hopeless cause to chase, rather than a thumbs up for effort! 

Great header from Cole, and he looked good when he came on, as did Marriott and Jozefzoon, now we have to turn our attention to the league.

As Frank says, from now on the players have to eat, sleep and drink promotion, nothing else matters.

We can play our part too, let's turn up in numbers for every game left, in good heart and full of song. 

In short, let's make this the low point in our season, not let it happen again, and get behind the team in every moment of every game from now until May.

29 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Go out you pussy, sleep when you're dead.

25 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Never turn a night down at your age. You will regret it when you end up like me, sat with a gin staring at the wall wondering where your youth went ?.

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Some of our best nights out were spur of the moment and when you thought, nah I’m done. Second wind soon comes. 

You’ve persuaded me. If I end up in a state I’m blaming you. If I end up in the Derby Uni student accommodation I’ll be thanking you. This new trim is working wonders.

31 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Just not in the quarter finals. Grrr

opportunity missed. 

I agree Angry it is a opportunity missed, but in general I am pleased how Frank has done so far, think the last 15 games will be very interesting indeed, think with players like Mount and Marriott on there way back from injury and the additions of Cole and King to the squad, we should be good enough to get into the play offs, then the fun will really begin.

Well, I was disappointed that we lost today, but am happy that it was the right scoreline. Despite competing well against Manure, Chelsea and Southampton, today Brighton looked the better side until we were into the second half. And as with Wednesday night we couldn't pass wind, and this time it had nothing to do with being pressed into making mistakes. Is Mount's absence beginning to catch up with us?

Sadly, for much of the first half, our tactic seemed to be playing long balls vaguely in the vicinity of David Nugent who was out-muscled much of the time. It doesn't work, and never has for years. How he keeps on getting game time, I don't know. At least he didn't miss any sitters today. What also baffles me is that Waghorn plays best through the middle, and on the few chances he has had he has done well, with goals to prove it in recent games. But no, stick him out on the wing, and put the chance-misser there instead.

The second half was better, in part because we changed to 4-4-2, and also in part because Brighton took their foot off the gas and sat back in their own half. But now we were starting to play football, instead of long-ball. And it was great to see Marriott back on the pitch, not just because of his goal threat but because he is a great footballer with a great footballing brain. He did a lot of really good link-up work today, and was prepared to do the fetching and carrying. It was also good to see Josefzoon playing well, especially as he spent most of his time when he had the ball being wrestled to the ground. When we scored, I expected there to be strong claims for a penalty as Zoon was thrown to the ground, and for it to be turned down. I then expected the goal to be disallowed so we could have the penalty after all! Just a bit cynical from time to time.

Brighton's first goal was well worked, ironically taking advantage of our improved defending against crosses! Our defence was all set up and in place for the cross, but weren't expecting the pull back, especially to Nockeart who had run in undetected from the left wing. 

What disappointed me the most though was our indecisiveness when we had got the ball. In the second half things were a little more difficult because Brighton were sitting deep, but our lack of incisiveness was all match long. So it wasn't only Bryson who was stopping, turning round and playing the ball sideways or backwards, it was our entire defence and midfield. I don't know about the strikers, because they hardly got the ball because it was never going in their direction, until one of our defenders got bored and lumped it long. Tomori in particular was regularly given the ball in loads of space but stopped and dithered before going safe. He has the potential to play "George Thorne" through balls, but hardly ever does.

The biggest thing we can take from this is to learn 4 - 4 - 2 actually works. Why we only seem to go for that formation when we are losing I have no idea. It would be good to see what happens when we start a match with that structure.

Big shout out for the fans, who were the only ones singing all match long. Well done! Based on performance, Frank ought to think about putting the fans out on the pitch!

Ho Hum! Watch out Championship! We are coming for you!!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I agree Angry it is a opportunity missed, but in general I am pleased how Frank has done so far, think the last 15 games will be very interesting indeed, think with players like Mount and Marriott on there way back from injury and the additions of Cole and King to the squad, we should be good enough to get into the play offs, then the fun will really begin.

I really hope this is the case, you've got me on board with your optimism.

12 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Love little touches like this... every club should do it in my opinion, doesn’t take much.

They are the best ‘hosting’ club by absolute miles. It should be easy to implement the nice touches that they do but for some reason only Brighton get it right. Fair play to them.

1 minute ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

They are the best ‘hosting’ club by absolute miles. It should be easy to implement the nice touches that they do but for some reason only Brighton get it right. Fair play to them.

Cardiff were pretty good too from memory, at least one serving staff in a Derby shirt.

Agreed it should be more widespread though, so easy to do and I'd imagine it helps with the policing etc to know you're appreciated as a visitor, rather than tolerated.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Cardiff were pretty good too from memory, at least one serving staff in a Derby shirt.

Agreed it should be more widespread though, so easy to do and I'd imagine it helps with the policing etc to know you're appreciated as a visitor, rather than tolerated.

Absolutely. Not only do the nice touches go down well with most fans but it must make incremental positive psychological  impressions with the type of fan that is a bit of a plonker, therefore lessening some idiocy somewhere down the line, either at the ground or later in the day.

Brighton have been doing this for years so always got time for them as a club. They’ve invested well in their ground, their manager and their philosophy. 

I watched the match on BT Sport, and heard the first part of Frank's interview where he expressed his disappointment at the poor first half performance. I missed the second part because my wife decided it was more important to start talking about emulsion paint.

Did I miss anything?

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I watched the match on BT Sport, and heard the first part of Frank's interview where he expressed his disappointment at the poor first half performance. I missed the second part because my wife decided it was more important to start talking about emulsion paint.

Did I miss anything?

Just Frank glossing over the performance. 

23 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Did I miss anything?

Not much that anyone might notice.

3A599109-B809-4BD5-984E-9D1547B855D6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Just not in the quarter finals. Grrr

opportunity missed. 

Massive opportunity missed. We could easily  at least got to the semi final. 

We didn’t lay a finger on them today, they totally controlled the game...shows you how far we have to go if they actually do think they want to play in the top division because they are miles away from being good enough 

Archived