Ipswich Town vs Derby County Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Score is positive but thats it. On paper our line up looks really good but it just isnt working. With King & Johnson in the 2 we should be controlling the game more. The 3 of Lawrence (other than the goal), Holmes & Wilson havent offered anywhere near enough. I havent see Wilson have a half that poor, 1st touch has been awful. Dont think the pitch is helping, its bobbling everywhere. Waghorn feeding off scraps, his yellow was a joke.

If we up the tempo and pace we could smash these to bits.

If Lawrence is struggling, id bring Huddlestone on for him & go back to 433 with Wilson & Holmes wide. They are playing with a diamond formation so our width could trouble them.

Cmon Derby!!!

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a strange first half, aside from the goal which came from an excellent and intelligent move we've looked like we're half a sleep - certainly going through the motions. Ipswich are fighting for their life and they're winning more second balls than they're losing that's for sure. 

The backline is standing up to the challenge and doing well. Tomori playing slightly casual at times, but he's getting the job done. Waghorn is looking an isolated figure upfront, Wilson has been the worst player on the pitch plus Holmes and Lawrence aren't setting the world alight. Johnson, for me, is the best player on the pitch in this game. King doing well. I imagine Bennett will be on sooner rather than later. 

We need a better second half. 

Honestly after the post Christmas runs we have had recently i'll take playing crap every week if we pick up the points we need.

Lets get through this best we can and get mount and Marriott back and push on

I get the argument of having Hudds in..calming and all. 

Also- this is not the type of match Hudds is best suited for.

it seems to be a brawling type of match. Which...maybe Johnson is the right choice? 

Will be up for debate if Derby fold in the second...but let’s not have that debate. 

COYR! 

Midfield have been poor this half.

Wilson, Lawrence and Holmes need to do more and stop being so weak when challenged and King looks like the new boy that isn't sure who to trust with the ball just yet.

Tomori and Keogh are playing well and look like they are going to be busy tonight and Malone and Bogle are trying to defend and be the creative players that Holmes and Lawrence should be.

Waghorn is isolated and lacking service and was hard done by to get a yellow card. 

After a dubious start Johnson is playing very well. Holmes, Wilson and Lawrence ( probably due to injury) are not at it tonight. Tomori and Malone been decent( Bogle Keogh not had much to do) due to them favouring their right flank. Good job they are dog poo, we need to play better this half 

It’s struck me for a couple of months that we have stopped moving forward to receive the ball. When the opposition do move forward, they intercept and we are left dangling the leg. I don’t really know whether this is a confidence issue, but it gets me agitated when it could so easily be addressed. Lamps should not be asking Keogh to play out from the back. As a defender I like him, but playing out under pressure is not his forte.

I feel like some fans would be happier supporting Tom Huddlestone FC! We are fine, bit like on Saturday we are missing passes but Johnson has played well and King was starting to get look more lovely as the game went on. Lawrence and Wilson obviously aren’t quite 100% but to be honest...we are in control overall.

2 minutes ago, halifaxram said:

Lamps should not be asking Keogh to play out from the back. As a defender I like him, but playing out under pressure is not his forte.

Disagree Halifax, our best defensive ball player IMO. Probably the best guy to be bringing the ball out. He'll get it wrong at times no doubt, it's the Championship after all! 

Archived