Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Ambitious said:

I'm not writing him off, far from it in fact. I like him. I just believe that once he leaves Derby it will be for a smaller club, not necessarily in a lower division, but a smaller Championship club certainly. I have no doubts that he may peak eventually and become the player he once threatened he could become. I just meant his next move, not his career.  

Erm - there are not too many bigger than Derby County though !

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep I do. 100 appearances and not into double figures...that’s all you need to know. 

Also, what was his goal to game ratio when he was out on loan in the lower leagues....? Again, rubbish 

its a shame, I would love him to be the next Bobby Davison but he just isn’t good enough. 

Sure, judge him on 69 games played before he turned 18 or out on loan!

Ignore the fact he averaged less than 20 minutes a game in those 100.

Also, ignore his bad luck through injuries. Last season, after scoring in the cup and earning a start in the league, he goes down injured early in the game. Goes out on loan to Notts County, scores on his debut then his season ends early due to injury in the next game. Then this season, grabs a few key assists, scores against Birmingham, then picks up another injury in the following game.

It doesn't help him that he's been around for donkeys years and looks like a 35 year old. I think some seem to be of the opinion that he should be at his peak by now.

He's shown me enough this season for me to think he certainly doesn't deserve to be written off at 22.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It doesn't help him that he's been around for donkeys years and looks like a 35 year old. I think some seem to be of the opinion that he should be at his peak by now.

He's shown me enough this season for me to think he certainly doesn't deserve to be written off at 22.

you have either got it or you haven't...he hasn't.

If I were Frank I would see a player who is quick, strong and not without skill, one who doesn't give up, puts defenders under pressure and consistently works hard for himself and the team. One who listens, trains well and wants to work hard to improve.

I would look at his record and see that his appearances have come over a six year period during which time he hasn't had a proper consistent run of games in the first team, hasn't had long 'pitch time', hasn't had consistent management either at Derby or elsewhere and has bad luck with injuries both in their nature and their timing.

If I were Frank I would see potential. I would know and understand that lots of players (including myself) develop later in their careers and at different rates and in a season of transition and development I would want to give the likes of Mason Bennett every opportunity to succeed.

11 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

To answer the question posed.

Frank Lampard OBVIOUSLY sees something in him or he wouldn't feature at all and would probably be out on loan/sold or playing in the U23's.

I trust Frank Lampard and his knowledge of the game and what he sees day in and day out in training, over your opinion based of a few short cameos. 

A young man with potential who Frank might just see a chance to mould a good player into a great player. 

It's a fair point and I've always believed players should be rewarded for what they do on the training pitch as well as in games. 

However, fans only get to see players in matches, that is what their opinions are based on and, ultimately, that is all the matters, playing well on the training ground doesn't win you games!

Still think the lad can improve and be of use to us. He does probably need a full season under his belt somewhere though. Imagine Thomas has probably got more first team minutes under his belt in his career than Bennett. 

I'd like to see us get him a decent loan for next season, and for him to prove he is the player I think he's becoming. 

Can't really criticize his loan moves, Notts Co started well before injury, and at Burton his manager was arguably a bit of a prat.

Give him a season at Ipswich or somewhere and let's see if he can make an impact. At the back of my head I think he's probably as useful as Jozefzoon or even Lawrence, but there isn't much data to back that up. 

I don't get the criticism of him based on the Stanley game tbh.

He was slipped in in on the angle, hit a shot hard and true and forced the keeper into a save.

Good play all round I'd say, not a reason to knock him, more a reason to praise their keeper.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

He was slipped in in on the angle, hit a shot hard and true and forced the keeper into a save.

Good play all round I'd say, not a reason to knock him, more a reason to praise their keeper.

Not really. The only reason the keeper saved it was because he couldn’t get out of the way quick enough.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Hit the target. What more is he supposed to do?

On 07/02/2019 at 07:10, BathRam72 said:

Come on @HantsRam most on here would expect him to score two goals with on shot, otherwise he is useless?

Spot on.......perhaps JoeDerby and Muespach are watching some new variant of football where there are no such things as goalkeepers to prevent on-target shots from automatically converting to goals.......lol

44 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Spot on.......perhaps JoeDerby and Muespach are watching some new variant of football where there are no such things as goalkeepers to prevent on-target shots from automatically converting to goals.......lol

Or like any good finisher you stick the ball in the corner or have a cool head to beat the keeper? Just because you hit the target doesn't make you a good finisher!!!!!

58 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Or like any good finisher you stick the ball in the corner or have a cool head to beat the keeper? Just because you hit the target doesn't make you a good finisher!!!!!

I think it all comes down to the manager seeing a young hungry player who he can mould into an all round future prospect.

If we wrote off all those just because they don't hit the target every time/ Defend every cross/ Get the ball in the box every time. Then lets face it no one would be playing at all.

Give the lad a break or get your arse down to the training ground and tell Frank where he is going wrong or better still. Take your boots and show him.  ?

40 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I think it all comes down to the manager seeing a young hungry player who he can mould into an all round future prospect.

If we wrote off all those just because they don't hit the target every time/ Defend every cross/ Get the ball in the box every time. Then lets face it no one would be playing at all.

Give the lad a break or get your arse down to the training ground and tell Frank where he is going wrong or better still. Take your boots and show him.  ?

I was just replying to your comment regarding hitting the target. Finishing is an art. 5 players going through 1 on 1 with the keeper. Marriott, Wilson, Wagorn and Mount and Bennett. I'm much more confident in the first 4 scoring. Bennett straight at the keeper but it doesn't matter, he hit it hard at the keeper?

57 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I was just replying to your comment regarding hitting the target. Finishing is an art. 5 players going through 1 on 1 with the keeper. Marriott, Wilson, Wagorn and Mount and Bennett. I'm much more confident in the first 4 scoring. Bennett straight at the keeper but it doesn't matter, he hit it hard at the keeper?

Or Johnny Russell, he was bloody brilliant at one on ones.

Archived