Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mason Bennett.

I see a lot of mixed opinions on Mason. He's no longer the young kid with potential and I can't see that he's improved much at all over the years. I was wondering what people thought on this forum. I've made it clear that I'm not his biggest fan. I'm not quite sure what he brings to the team? His goal scoring record is abysmal. The only time he's been ok, in my opinion, is when he's been brought on the wing for the last 10 minutes to have a run against some tired legs? I think we need better back up personally. His touch is always poor, sloppy in possession, doesn't use his pace effectively? 

Whenever he's been on loan to the lower leagues he hasn't produced. 

For me, I'd like to see Luke Thomas given a chance next year, I think Mason's had more than one chance to shine.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure an in-depth debate on the competency of a young fringe player who's been in and out of the team to pretty good effect, on the most part, this season is necessary. Although its a good sign when the heavy critiques fall onto backup players and not our key players, for once.

Also, he's second in the team in assists.

16 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

For me, I'd like to see Luke Thomas given a chance next year, I think Mason's had more than one chance to shine.

Luke Thomas? You do know they don't play the same position. Why not Kelle Roos?

Funny enough, his cross for Lawrence to head (another topic to have a bang on about if anyone feels the need) in the opening game of the season was as good as you will see and the faith that Frank put in him early on I hoped that this was a case of someone finally seeing what others had missed. But, sadly, it seems not.

I'd love him to do well, I've always said it, and I won't be one of those somehow getting on his back. But, one of our own or not, he just isn't of the level we need. Not much more to say than that really.

Mason isn't good enough to get in out starting side unfortunately, at the moment i think hes a lower table championship player/good league 1 player. I think the game on Friday was his 100th appearance and as a winger he hasn't scored many in that time, so i dont think he will start for us unless injuries occur. He has talent but sometimes the chance to show it goes by him whether that is him not producing when in the side or injury related. Hes a good impact sub and i never fault his effort when hes on the pitch, he just needs to keep improving the same as every other player in the squad needs to. Like Bogle he needs a good run of games to be proven, whether at us or on loan next season. I want him to mature and start showing quality in front of goal and use his raw pace and power effectively, there  is no reason why he cant become another Che Adams. 

Aside from Wilson, he produced the only other moment of vision against Preston. I think he would offer more than Nugent up top. He has a great leap on him, wins more headers than he should. Really can't be critical until he has a long run of games, which he never seems to get due to injuries. 

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure an in-depth debate on the competency of a young fringe player who's been in and out of the team to pretty good effect, on the most part, this season is necessary. Although its a good sign when the heavy critiques fall onto backup players and not our key players, for once.

Also, he's second in the team in assists.

I thought that was the exact point of a forum? Hardly in depth, I'm asking if people if they think he makes the cut or not.

Interesting that he's got the second most assists and the the player with the most is a left back that's only started 10 games.

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Luke Thomas? You do know they don't play the same position. Why not Kelle Roos?

Funny enough, his cross for Lawrence to head (another topic to have a bang on about if anyone feels the need) in the opening game of the season was as good as you will see and the faith that Frank put in him early on I hoped that this was a case of someone finally seeing what others had missed. But, sadly, it seems not.

I'd love him to do well, I've always said it, and I won't be one of those somehow getting on his back. But, one of our own or not, he just isn't of the level we need. Not much more to say than that really.

Mason Bennett and Luke Thomas both play RW?

I'm confused?

1 minute ago, JoeDerby said:

I thought that was the exact point of a forum? Hardly in depth, I'm asking if people if they think he makes the cut or not.

Interesting that he's got the second most assists and the the player with the most is a left back that's only started 10 games.

Its true that the point of a forum is conversation. "In-depth" was the wrong term. I meant "heavy" - I think suggesting the best he has ever played is at a level to be considered "ok" is harsh.

I'm not trying to suppress conversation, just sharing my opinion that I think this particular discussion is a tad unnecessary at this time. With him being a fringe player, I don't think the majority of people have seen enough to develop an opinion well-rounded enough to engage in it.

He's better than some other options at the position he's been playing in (like Jozefzoon - so far this season) so by definition he makes the cut until our squad has enough depth at the position to push him to the bottom.

5 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Aside from Wilson, he produced the only other moment of vision against Preston. I think he would offer more than Nugent up top. He has a great leap on him, wins more headers than he should. Really can't be critical until he has a long run of games, which he never seems to get due to injuries. 

I don't see how he offers more than Nugent.

Yes, Nugent has been poor recently but bringing others in to play, first touch, pulling players out of position, making a nuisance of your self (which defenders hate) and goals scored, Nugent tops the list on all of them. Bennett looks lost when he plays, shows glimpses of quality and then hides again.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Its true that the point of a forum is conversation. "In-depth" was the wrong term. I meant "heavy" - I think suggesting the best he has ever played is at a level to be considered "ok" is harsh.

I'm not trying to suppress conversation, just sharing my opinion that I think this particular discussion is a tad unnecessary at this time. With him being a fringe player, I don't think the majority of people have seen enough to develop an opinion well-rounded enough to engage in it.

He's better than some other options at the position he's been playing in (like Jozefzoon - so far this season) so by definition he makes the cut until our squad has enough depth at the position to push him to the bottom.

This is all about opinions. My point is.. he's played nearly a 100 games, under 10 career goals, I can't remember a 'Man Of The Match' performance from him. He's not a worry for the opposition, I'm not excited when he's in the lineup or thinking he's gonna come on and grab the winner when he comes on.  Lawrence get's enough stick on here. Mason seems to be protected because he's a local lad that tries hard and he did that wonder cross against Preston. 

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you think the post is a tad unnecessary? it's an opinion which I've asked for other members opinion on.. it's not going to reach the dressing room is it..

I think Mason's a victim of our partial success and his own injury record. After Mason burst onto the scene, as soon as Clough went we've been competing constantly at the top of the Championship where it's a risk to introduce young players. And what he needs above all else is a long run in the team. Or a team. Going on loan hasn't worked out for him when you'd expect it would have - in terms of playing lots of games and scoring. He does seem to have been unlucky with injuries there.

Right now he's so desperate to make an impact it shows. But it can't be denied when he's come off the bench this season, he often has made that impact. Yet when in the starting 11, he doesn't seem to have it. I remain convinced his best position is a rampaging centre forward bullying defenders and terrifying them with pace and physicality. But does he also have the control and technical skill? The jury's out. And does he have the finishing ability? The jury's out.

He's 22. He does have a good scoring record for England youth teams. If he were coming into the side now playing mainly as a sub with occasional starts we'd still be excited to see him coming through. But being ruthless the team is more important than the individual. What's best for Derby is to have someone like Mason as an impact sub running at defenders in the last 15/25 minutes of a game. I think he merits a place in the 18 to do that.

54 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Mason Bennett.

His touch is always poor, sloppy in possession, doesn't use his pace effectively? 

You really believe this true so use the word 'always' . Pathetic and demonstrably not true.

Bennett gets unfair criticism because he's been around for so long. He's 22. If you're one of the people rigidly defending our lord and savior Tom Lawrence I'd urge you to consider that he was looking decidedly average in a crap Blackburn team at 22.

What exactly is Florian Jozefzoon offering that Bennett doesn't with less impact on the wage bill?

If the argument is that we need better back up, why single out the cheapest and youngest option for replacement? Brilliant, let's sell Bennett for peanuts without ever giving him a decent run and put another overpaid back up player on the wage bill, who will inevitably end up playing mostly for the under 23s and be shifted out on loan with us paying most of his wages.

I do agree that Thomas ought to be given a proper chance next season.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

Bennett gets unfair criticism because he's been around for so long. He's 22. If you're one of the people rigidly defending our lord and savior Tom Lawrence I'd urge you to consider that he was looking decidedly average in a crap Blackburn team at 22.

What exactly is Florian Jozefzoon offering that Bennett doesn't with less impact on the wage bill?

If the argument is that we need better back up, why single out the cheapest and youngest option for replacement? Brilliant, let's sell Bennett for peanuts without ever giving him a decent run and put another overpaid back up player on the wage bill, who will inevitably end up playing mostly for the under 23s and be shifted out on loan with us paying most of his wages.

I understand what you're saying here but 22, 100 games and I still haven't seen anything to impress me or get me off my seat. Wilson is 21 and shown more in 20 games than Mason has his whole career. Same goes with Bogle who's 18..

Even Jeff and Will when they were here, by 22 they had showed a lot more than Mason has.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

What makes you think Bennett is on a lower wage than Jozefzoon too? I think they'll be on a similar wage. He would've been on a small wage at Brentford and I doubt he would've been offered a good wage here with FFP in mind.

Archived