Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Couldn't believe he’d played 100 games for us... then looked it up and it turns out he hasn’t.  100 games over a long period for different clubs and having been disrupted by loans and injuries and, frankly, having been thrown into the first team far too early.

Opinions on Mason are definitely coloured by how long he has been around on the fringes of things.  I don’t think he has developed as much as we might have hoped in the last 7 years, but from what I’ve seen he is not substantially better or worse than a number of players in his position that have played (or are playing) for us.  

In fairness, that might say a lot about the other players, but I certainly don’t cringe when his name is in the squad and if he was given a run out ‘up top’ now and again I could live with that as well (assuming Marriott is injured obvs).  

I do agree with @SaintRam about this being an odd debate to have. Indeed, my comment pretty much reflects the standard of response he thought would be forthcoming, but Mason is hardly being pushed forward by Frank as the linchpin of the team, nor is he being picked in preference to anybody else particularly.  So while I fully understand that ‘everybody is entitled to an opinion’ on a player, digging Bennett out when he has hardly featured seems a bit unfair.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mason Bennett produced the superb last minute cross that Lawrence headed in to give Frank a win on his league debut. So he's bound to have a soft spot for him.

In retrospect just think about how good that cross must've been. He actually managed to produce a cross so accurate that Tom Lawrence actually managed to score from it! Imagine that! Very few players have achieved that since. It will probably never happen again. Seems like ages since I've seen them cupped ears!

Anyway I like Mason. Hope he pushes on.

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

I understand what you're saying here but 22, 100 games and I still haven't seen anything to impress me or get me off my seat. Wilson is 21 and shown more in 20 games than Mason has his whole career. Same goes with Bogle who's 18..

Even Jeff and Will when they were here, by 22 they had showed a lot more than Mason has.

He has played in 100 games, but how many has he started? How many minutes has he played? What has bee his longesr run of games? All questions that should be asked whether he has had chance to show what he can do. 

How many of the 100 games have you seen? You haven't seen anything to get you out of your seat? Did you not see him tear Ashley Cole a new one? How about his appearance against Man Utd last season? Did more in 5 mins on the pitch than the rest of the attackers (bar Lawrence) had done in the previous 85. He has played very well this season, as @angieram has pointed out he was motm against Preston, he was brilliant against Birmingham. He had given Ben Davies a torrid time against Villa before he went off injured. He won us the games against Reading and Hull.

He hasn't had the opportunity to establish himself into the team as Hendrick and Hughes had. Even Bogle has had a longer run of consecutive starts than Mason has. 

19 minutes ago, 86 points said:

This is one of those, 'I don't mean to be disrespectful, but go duck yourself' type posts that really grinds my gears. And yes, all you neggy mofos are entitled to whine, I geddit. It's fine.

For the very little I suspect it's worth, he's a young lad who tries his heart out, is a decent Championship quality player and wants to improve. That, is what I suspect, Frank sees in him. 

I think I might start a 'Why does Frank let Wilson take free kicks?' thread or some such thing.

2 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Mason Bennett.

I see a lot of mixed opinions on Mason. He's no longer the young kid with potential and I can't see that he's improved much at all over the years. I was wondering what people thought on this forum. I've made it clear that I'm not his biggest fan. I'm not quite sure what he brings to the team? His goal scoring record is abysmal. The only time he's been ok, in my opinion, is when he's been brought on the wing for the last 10 minutes to have a run against some tired legs? I think we need better back up personally. His touch is always poor, sloppy in possession, doesn't use his pace effectively? 

Whenever he's been on loan to the lower leagues he hasn't produced. 

For me, I'd like to see Luke Thomas given a chance next year, I think Mason's had more than one chance to shine.

It’s a fair question mate,I’ve got no problem with this thread at all.

Personally if he can stay fit and stay involved I would like to keep him around.

I think he’s got enough about him to play a part.

I’ve not read the rest of the thread,has it kicked off?

3 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Mason Bennett.

I see a lot of mixed opinions on Mason. He's no longer the young kid with potential and I can't see that he's improved much at all over the years. I was wondering what people thought on this forum. I've made it clear that I'm not his biggest fan. I'm not quite sure what he brings to the team? His goal scoring record is abysmal. The only time he's been ok, in my opinion, is when he's been brought on the wing for the last 10 minutes to have a run against some tired legs? I think we need better back up personally. His touch is always poor, sloppy in possession, doesn't use his pace effectively? 

Whenever he's been on loan to the lower leagues he hasn't produced. 

For me, I'd like to see Luke Thomas given a chance next year, I think Mason's had more than one chance to shine.

What frank sees in mason is a young kid, Because he’s still young,who has the raw attributes to be incredible. He is quick and strong has a good leap on him. You won’t find another player as physically gifted as him. All he needs is to improve his touch and passing and we have a very good winger on our hands. 

18 minutes ago, rynny said:

He has played in 100 games, but how many has he started? How many minutes has he played? What has bee his longesr run of games? All questions that should be asked whether he has had chance to show what he can do. 

How many of the 100 games have you seen? You haven't seen anything to get you out of your seat? Did you not see him tear Ashley Cole a new one? How about his appearance against Man Utd last season? Did more in 5 mins on the pitch than the rest of the attackers (bar Lawrence) had done in the previous 85. He has played very well this season, as @angieram has pointed out he was motm against Preston, he was brilliant against Birmingham. He had given Ben Davies a torrid time against Villa before he went off injured. He won us the games against Reading and Hull.

He hasn't had the opportunity to establish himself into the team as Hendrick and Hughes had. Even Bogle has had a longer run of consecutive starts than Mason has. 

Are you really saying he hasn't had chance to show what he can do? Will Hughes needed 90 minutes of football against Peterborough and every single fan that day left the stadium talking about him. You're just sugar coating his career, playing well for 20 minutes against Ashley Cole in 2014 in a game we lost 2-0 is a career highlight. I'm not having it i'm afraid. 

11 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

It’s a fair question mate,I’ve got no problem with this thread at all.

Personally if he can stay fit and stay involved I would like to keep him around.

I think he’s got enough about him to play a part.

I’ve not read the rest of the thread,has it kicked off?

Thanks John. Fair comment. A lot of sugar coating with him coming through the academy.  Hopefully Frank can turn him into the player we all hope he could be. It's a big task though (in my eyes).

Cheers

44 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Are you really saying he hasn't had chance to show what he can do? Will Hughes needed 90 minutes of football against Peterborough and every single fan that day left the stadium talking about him. You're just sugar coating his career, playing well for 20 minutes against Ashley Cole in 2014 in a game we lost 2-0 is a career highlight. I'm not having it i'm afraid. 

Why focus on that part? What about the other games that I listed?

I'm saying he has never had the opportunity to show what can do over a number of games, until this season. He had shown in glimpses what he can do in the past, as you said you can't remember a single time that he got you out of your seat, that Chelsea game got us out of our seat, it got people talking about him after the game. There is no sugar coating, he is still young, still learning. He can be, and for me he is, a very good player for us, and I think this season he has had a number of games where he has been good enough.

Mason's problem is being exposed to the first team so young, it is crazy to think he made is debut over 7 years ago. I always used Zanzala as a comparison, as there is 4 months between them in age, yet Zanzala never got written off as much as Mason, we even had some (one) suggesting that Zanzala should be starting for the first team.

@JoeDerby mate if that laser-guided cross to Lawrence for the injury time winner first game of the season genuinely didn't 'get you out of your seat' you might want to check your pulse as you're quite likely dead or a Gump. Your argument that he's an impact sub at best right now is ludicrous because that's how he's being played, so really, why question Frank's thinking as well?  Comments like yours saying he's done nothing to excite you are just silly. Initially, you masquerade as someone asking a genuine question then chuck in ridiculous 'he's never done anything' type spiel in to reveal your true colours. You don't like him as a player, you see no value. OK, got it. My question would be, 'so what?'

Other folk have expressed opposing positions (rightly or wrongly) and politely explained their reasoning too, so being increasingly demeaning of the lad with each and every post doesn't really add to the debate, nor does it strengthen your argument, in fact all it does is makes you look a bit daft and really quite mean spirited. It's not ''sugar-coating' as you put it is how other folk see it and quite frankly, nobody is going to care whether you change your thinking or not. After all, this is a footy forum, not a group therapy session.

Is "So what?" actually a question? 

I'm sure it is more of a statement, and probably should be accompanied by a !, rather than a ?

Oh yeah...   I'm a little disappointed in his overall progress (based on the years he's been with us, as opposed to his age, as he still has time, so I may be being a tad unfair on him!) but overall, I like him. 

Impact sub for now, but still has time to reach his potential, I'd say.

Archived