Mason Bennett - What does Frank see in him?

JoeDerby

Would you have Mason Bennett in the starting line up?  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, JoeDerby said:

I understand what you're saying here but 22, 100 games and I still haven't seen anything to impress me or get me off my seat. Wilson is 21 and shown more in 20 games than Mason has his whole career. Same goes with Bogle who's 18..

Even Jeff and Will when they were here, by 22 they had showed a lot more than Mason has.

I agree with all of the players you mention, but we don't own Wilson and none of the others play Bennett's position. I'm comparing him directly against his current competitors for a shirt at Derby. I think he's been better than Jozefzoon this season and is just as productive as Waghorn and Lawrence.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

What makes you think Jozefzoon is on a lower wage than Jozefzoon too? I think they'll be on a similar wage. He would've been on a small wage at Brentford and I doubt he would've been offered a good wage here with FFP in mind.

You think an established pro who transferred for nearly £3 million pounds won't have been able to negotiate a better contract for himself than a squad player who graduated from the youth academy?

36 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I don't see how he offers more than Nugent.

Yes, Nugent has been poor recently but bringing others in to play, first touch, pulling players out of position, making a nuisance of your self (which defenders hate) and goals scored, Nugent tops the list on all of them. Bennett looks lost when he plays, shows glimpses of quality and then hides again.

A physical and pacy option. Defenders would be frightened of his pace in behind. But really we don't know how he would do up top. I just think Nugent doesn't offer a threat himself anymore when on his own.

I could be very wrong, but I don't see what we have to lose in trying it.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

You think an established pro who transferred for nearly £3 million pounds won't have been able to negotiate a better contract for himself than a squad player who graduated from the youth academy?

At 22, I'd think that Mason will be on a decent wage and Jozefzoon coming from Brentford will be one of the lower paid pros. I don't think it will be a huge difference. Just because a player comes from the youth academy means he isn't on good wage. Do you think Will Hughes' last contract at Derby was lower than one of the 'established pros'? 

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

A physical and pacy option. Defenders would be frightened of his pace in behind. But really we don't know how he would do up top. I just think Nugent doesn't offer a threat himself anymore when on his own.

I could be very wrong, but I don't see what we have to lose in trying it.

Waghorn

5 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

At 22, I'd think that Mason will be on a decent wage and Jozefzoon coming from Brentford will be one of the lower paid pros. I don't think it will be a huge difference. Just because a player comes from the youth academy means he isn't on good wage. Do you think Will Hughes' last contract at Derby was lower than one of the 'established pros'? 

Hughes' wage will have increased as he became a first team regular and generated interest from other clubs. Bennett hasn't nearly played the same number of games or had the impact that Hughes had. If he's on the same wage as Jozefzoon, someone at the club needs suing for fiduciary irresponsibility.

19 minutes ago, Anon said:

I agree with all of the players you mention, but we don't own Wilson and none of the others play Bennett's position. I'm comparing him directly against his current competitors for a shirt at Derby. I think he's been better than Jozefzoon this season and is just as productive as Waghorn and Lawrence.

I have to disagree, Bennett is nowhere near the level of Waghorn, Waghorn is important to our side, Bennett is not. 

Lawrence has off days but when he plays well hes much better than Bennett.

For me Bennett should be working towards taking there positions but both offer more than him.

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’d have started him rb instead of Holmes the other night.......

This doesn't make any sense, he's never played RB before in his life, can't tackle or head the ball, god knows that his positioning is like? 

52 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

This is all about opinions. My point is.. he's played nearly a 100 games, under 10 career goals, I can't remember a 'Man Of The Match' performance from him. He's not a worry for the opposition, I'm not excited when he's in the lineup or thinking he's gonna come on and grab the winner when he comes on.  Lawrence get's enough stick on here. Mason seems to be protected because he's a local lad that tries hard and he did that wonder cross against Preston. 

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you think the post is a tad unnecessary? it's an opinion which I've asked for other members opinion on.. it's not going to reach the dressing room is it..

Lawrence gets stick because he's a regular starter who regularly frustrates.

I didn't mean unnecessary as in hurtful, I just think that its difficult for meaningful conversation to be had about a player we've seen so little of even though he's been around so long, especially with how strong your opinion is. I think criticisms of him are only really going to be met with "he's young, and we've not seen much of him" - which will result in stagnant discussion, where loads of people just repeat each other.

The only opinion I've really generated of Mason Bennett is that, of the players at the club, he is by FAR the best forward when it comes to carrying out his defensive duties. IMO. And while that is true, he'll always tactically speaking have a place in a horses-for-courses type system.

8 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

This doesn't make any sense, he's never played RB before in his life, can't tackle or head the ball, god knows that his positioning is like? 

He wins more aerials per game than any other forward, and Bradley Johnson is the only midfielder ahead of him. (Keogh, Tomori, Davies, Forsyth are the others) - just saying.

He's also, to my memory, performed plenty of successful tackles while helping out the RB, which no other RW really does. Leaving Bogle often in line for fire as he constantly gets isolated and crosses come in.

I'm saying all this just to try and point out that I think he's being misrepresented by some of this criticism. I don't actually rate him much, personally.

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

This is all about opinions. My point is.. he's played nearly a 100 games, under 10 career goals, I can't remember a 'Man Of The Match' performance from him. He's not a worry for the opposition, I'm not excited when he's in the lineup or thinking he's gonna come on and grab the winner when he comes on.  Lawrence get's enough stick on here. Mason seems to be protected because he's a local lad that tries hard and he did that wonder cross against Preston. 

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you think the post is a tad unnecessary? it's an opinion which I've asked for other members opinion on.. it's not going to reach the dressing room is it..

Mason Bennett receiving his Man of the Match award after the Preston game on 25th August (as you appear to have forgotten.)

20180825_170444.jpg

Just now, JoeDerby said:

Can I just ask, if we signed him from another club at the start of the season. Would you be underwhelmed? 

Depends on the cost. I'd be underwhelmed if we had paid more than a mil or so - but that's a very hypothetical situation.

At the very least, I'd say "At least he's performed better than that other winger we bought, Jozefzoon."

30 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

He’s probably got some of the best aerial ability in the squad and he’s always been good tracking back. I know it sounds insane but it’s hardly like his positioning can be worse than malones

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

Mason Bennett and Luke Thomas both play RW?

I'm confused?

Easily done I guess. I've not actually seen Luke Thomas play (not that this stops many promoting many players as the next great thing) so I'll go with Wikipedia as my reference. They say that Thomas is an attacking midfielder and Bennett is a forward.

But, just for gits and shiggles, let's say you are right and he is a right winger. He's scoring at somewhere around one in nine games for Gloucester City and Coventry. (5 in 44 tbh). If that is what you think is missing in our push then I wouldn't worry too much about finding out if there are any decent pubs in Manchester, Newcastle or Bournemouth. Just keep Swansea, Bristol and Birmingham in the plans for next season.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s probably got some of the best aerial ability in the squad and he’s always been good tracking back. I know it sounds insane but it’s hardly like his positioning can be worse than malones

I think this sums up my point, in this post already, there's a comment saying play him as a striker when Marriott is injured so we can use him in behind, another one saying play him right back because he can head the ball and can tackle. Another saying about the cross at Preston, play him out wide. 

Where exactly does he fit in to this side, what is he good at? 

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Easily done I guess. I've not actually seen Luke Thomas play (not that this stops many promoting many players as the next great thing) so I'll go with Wikipedia as my reference. They say that Thomas is an attacking midfielder and Bennett is a forward.

But, just for gits and shiggles, let's say you are right and he is a right winger. He's scoring at somewhere around one in nine games for Gloucester City and Coventry. (5 in 44 tbh). If that is what you think is missing in our push then I wouldn't worry too much about finding out if there are any decent pubs in Manchester, Newcastle or Bournemouth. Just keep Swansea, Bristol and Birmingham in the plans for next season.

You're hurting my head. Luke Thomas is the best young prospect at the club. a 19 year old out on loan at Coventry (they love him). He looked a gem throughout pre season.

I'm referring to my knowledge rather than going off Wikipedia. 

This is one of those, 'I don't mean to be disrespectful, but go duck yourself' type posts that really grinds my gears. And yes, all you neggy mofos are entitled to whine, I geddit. It's fine.

For the very little I suspect it's worth, he's a young lad who tries his heart out, is a decent Championship quality player and wants to improve. That, is what I suspect, Frank sees in him. 

I suspect his career will be similar to Jamie Hanson's. He will find his level in the lower leagues. 

I said the same about Jamie Hanson when he was here and some disagreed with me then and wanted to see him starting CDM instead of Johnson.

Archived