Craig Bryson - signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

LB_DCFC

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Not what we need. I wouldn't really want to offer him or Johnson a new deal but of the two Johnson has probably earnt it. 

I was hoping we would take this chance to refresh our midfield.

Yes, time to say a big thanks but move him on....

Nothing confirmed as yet just paper talk.

Is he a good person to have around the club? Yes.

Have his performances been good enough this season? No. He's been a great servant for Derby County but I felt when he played this season he was damaging his reputation with us. Having said that he started to put a run of form together until he got injured against Sheff Utd at home. He also was decent at Birmingham away but appreciate it was one game.

Would I be sad to see him go? Yes but think it is time. He's been one of my favourite players in recent years. 

Would I be raging if he stays? No not at all. If he takes reduced terms and is clearly happy at the club he will be a positive influence. 

P.S. Great to see he was in the tunnel congratulating the Under 18s on their victory last night alongside Keogh, Roos and a few others. Little things like that can make a big difference behind the scenes. 

47 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A friend of mine bumped into him Sunday night and when asked if he was leaving he said he doubted it.

TBF, according to your mate he effectively said he didn't know. If you were the manager would you be telling anyone yet about decisions like this? It would be beyond stupid to do so. We don't know what division we will be playing in next season so everything hinges on that, not least of all the transfer budget, targets and overall squad for next season.

But, for now, I would hope that the only thing anyone is talking to the players about is Leeds, Wembley and promotion.

Well as much as I respect all your opinions I for one am CHUFFED to hear we might be keeping Bryson

1) We have no midfielders...

2) He's still got a performance in him (have seen 3/4 great games from him in the run in - The Bolton game was pure, old-school, unrestrained Bryson)

3) He's still got more legs than the average championship midfielder

4) If Lampard thinks he's good enough that's fine by me

I think it suggests there may not be as much movement in the summer as we were expecting. If Bryson and (for sake of argument) Johnson did sign on reduced wages then there’s two capable players with the likes of Bird, Holmes, Evans and Shinnie plus a loan starlet (Mount, here’s hoping) then we’d have a very good midfield with lots of cover and hopefully a bit of wiggle room with wages for other areas.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Well as much as I respect all your opinions I for one am CHUFFED to hear we might be keeping Bryson

1) We have no midfielders...

2) He's still got a performance in him (have seen 3/4 great games from him in the run in - The Bolton game was pure, old-school, unrestrained Bryson)

3) He's still got more legs than the average championship midfielder

4) If Lampard thinks he's good enough that's fine by me

Whilst these are true, 3/4 decent games from a player a season isn't the standard that we should be looking at. particularly if said matches come against opposition such as Bolton.

Would rather us look elsewhere if im honest.

As with Bradley it really comes down to wages ,people are looking at it in terms of them being first choice if we renew which may be very far from the case we may be looking at younger players coming in and Bryson/ Bradley being very decent experienced squad players who know the club and like it here  ,I’m ok with that if the money is right and it doesn’t hinder us in terms of building a regular first team

He's a very good backup/squad player at this level. It makes financial sense to keep someone like Bryson, rather than spend money on someone who's about the same in ability. He undoubtedly is a positive impact on the rest of the squad too.

Having Shinnie, Bird, Evans, Holmes, Bryson, and possibly Johnson for next season suggests we'll be selling Huddlestone in the summer. I'd expect one of the 6 mentioned above to also leave (loan/transfer) to enable us to slot in a 'Mount replacement' without having too many players to please

Personally, my favourite player at the club in the last 10 years but it's time for a fresh face and legs. We all know what he offers and I don't think it's been enough this season. He lacks the quality to take us to the next level now. I'd say he's been the least influential out of all our Midfield players this season (been just as dissapointed with George Evans on second thoughts) and not a name we miss if he's not in the team.

Doesn't really make sense to me, unless we are offering a contract on next to no money - which I can't see us doing.

I'd like to see us scout the lower leagues for a player with lots of potential, similar to Duane Holmes!

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's a very good backup/squad player at this level. It makes financial sense to keep someone like Bryson, rather than spend money on someone who's about the same in ability. He undoubtedly is a positive impact on the rest of the squad too.

Having Shinnie, Bird, Evans, Holmes, Bryson, and possibly Johnson for next season suggests we'll be selling Huddlestone in the summer. I'd expect one of the 6 mentioned above to also leave (loan/transfer) to enable us to slot in a 'Mount replacement' without having too many players to please

Shinnie, Bird, Evans, Homes, Bryson and Johnson... haven't seen much of Shinnie yet but the rest aren't good enough to be our midfield IMO!

3 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Rather give Johnson a new deal on reduced terms to be honest. Brysons legs have gone. Great servant, but time to move on. 

I would offer Johnson a deal on vastly reduced wages as well and we probably have done now Bryson I don’t concur that his legs have gone for his influence in a squad and he dominated at Man United and Southampton away this season - he just can’t play 3 in a week 

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

According to the Daily Record we've offered Bryson a new deal on reduced terms. But terms that may improve if we're promoted. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-15005459

Scroll down to 09:00 for the story. 

Is it me or does it make no sense to offer him a new deal should we get promoted?? Is he a Premier League standard player (at this stage of his career)?

35 minutes ago, Archied said:

As with Bradley it really comes down to wages ,people are looking at it in terms of them being first choice if we renew which may be very far from the case we may be looking at younger players coming in and Bryson/ Bradley being very decent experienced squad players who know the club and like it here  ,I’m ok with that if the money is right and it doesn’t hinder us in terms of building a regular first team

An old head to mentor Sibley to come through the first team? Sounds good to me if the wages aren’t to high.

12 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

An old head to mentor Sibley to come through the first team? Sounds good to me if the wages aren’t to high.

Huddlestone should be able to do that - played at a higher level than Bradley for longer.

Providing more affordable terms can be sorted (and he agrees to get all his teeth extracted), I would extend Johnsons' contract by a year. Bryson has been good for us since he arrived but because of how Lampard is trying to set up how we play, his effectiveness is nowhere near what it was when Martin was the hold-up striker so, sad though I'd be, let him go. Also frees up a place in the squad for one of the young guns.

Archived