Watchable telly

dog

As a viewer of both The Apprentice and Dragon's Den, I had to conclude last night that both finalists and probably all of the final 5 in The Apprentice would have been laughed out of the Den in 2 minutes flat.

I hope for his sake that Lord Sugar gets paid more than the £250k prize money he's giving away because he ain't getting that back any time soon.

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It is fantastic, but I marginally preferred Top Boy. Maybe because it was in English. And I'd have Spiral on that level for foreign stuff.

Suburra: Blood on Rome is fairly good without ever reaching the heights of Gomorrah. 

Season 5 of Top Boy supposed to be released this year i believe.

45 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Grace on Itv. Based on the Roy Grace detective series of books by Peter James. Season 3 E 1 was great (as were the other seasons). Having read a lot of the books, these tv adaptations capture the vibe.

My dad has read the books and recommended the TV series. Really enjoyed it.

I know this is a stupid point in many ways...but this topic is really frustrating in this thread form as its repetitive (as people recommend the same series) and so hard to access all the information that is lost to new stuff. Be so much better if it were organised into the series names with related comments.

I know that's what other forums/web pages/apps are exclusively for - but the distilled opinions on here are much better than those bigger groups!

Edited by Chester40

42 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I know this is a stupid point in many ways...but this topic is really frustrating in this thread form as its repetitive (as people recommend the same series) and so hard to access all the information that is lost to new stuff. Be so much better if it were organised into the series names with related comments.

I know that's what other forums/web pages/apps are exclusively for - but the distilled opinions on here are much better than those bigger groups!

I love the variety!

There’s somuch choice and so much crap it’s nice to know what’s out there 

10 hours ago, Wolfie said:

As a viewer of both The Apprentice and Dragon's Den, I had to conclude last night that both finalists and probably all of the final 5 in The Apprentice would have been laughed out of the Den in 2 minutes flat.

I hope for his sake that Lord Sugar gets paid more than the £250k prize money he's giving away because he ain't getting that back any time soon.

Totally agree. 

I'm slogging through The Apprentice just because I'm in marketing, but I'm 6 or so episodes back. But jeez most of them are utter planks.

I'd like to see a version where they have really smart young business people. Probably wouldn't make for mass appeal though. 

I did read that if you haven't got Uber white teeth you have to get veneers to be on. Even though it seems like that could be true, I'm not sure it is. 

I also read that the Scottish guy was kicked off for drinking on a flight to Dubai. 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Totally agree. 

I'm slogging through The Apprentice just because I'm in marketing, but I'm 6 or so episodes back. But jeez most of them are utter planks.

I'd like to see a version where they have really smart young business people. Probably wouldn't make for mass appeal though. 

I did read that if you haven't got Uber white teeth you have to get veneers to be on. Even though it seems like that could be true, I'm not sure it is. 

I also read that the Scottish guy was kicked off for drinking on a flight to Dubai. 

The Appentice is a joke.

Random losers with big egos and bigger online presence who would never get a job with a reputable company paraded on TV so Alan Sugar can insult them courtesy of his scriptwriters.

I hate it with a vengeance 

CD5C1F2C-51A1-47EF-A3EE-B7FADEC475F6.jpeg

13 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I find the search post feature is really useful, as I'm often months and years behind on some stuff I watch. I usually find that the thing I just watched and enjoyed was recommended by @Bob The Badger 18 months ago 😆

9 hours ago, Baj said:

Treason, Netflix, 5 episodes. MI6 drama, Russian agent etc, stars Charlie Cox (daredevil). Keeps you guessing, last episode didn't go how I was expecting, worth a watch. Pretty short so doesn't get boring or strung out.

Simmo 8/10

I liked this too - took me 3 episodes to convince myself that he wasn't at some point going to appear in a red suit, lurking on top of a building listening out for a damsel in distress. 

On 24/03/2023 at 09:30, Wolfie said:

After the disappointment of season 2 of Picard (Prime), which I didn't finish, I was talked into giving season 3 a try and after 2 episodes, it looks a lot more promising IMO.

Be good to hear what you think - I gave up halfway thru S2 as felt it just lost its way. 

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I find the search post feature is really useful, as I'm often months and years behind on some stuff I watch. I usually find that the thing I just watched and enjoyed was recommended by @Bob The Badger 18 months ago 😆

You finally got around to Black Addre then? Splendid, glad you enjoyed it.

In current news, I thought Suburra; Blood of Rome dipped a bit in season 2, but season 3 may be the best to date.

Has anybody started the new Ted Lasso yet?

Very much looking forward to Succession tomorrow but I'll probably wait until it's finished to binge in a @86 Hair Islands stylee.

I find The Apprentice a little bit like Clarkson's Farm ...in that it's largely 'real' but is clearly staged in way that creates talking points and has handpicked characters selected to bring humour or irritation to proceedings. I find them both good ways to watch human interaction and real life situations without any singing/dancing or dating!

I enjoy both and so do my kids. 

On 25/03/2023 at 18:19, Chester40 said:

I find The Apprentice a little bit like Clarkson's Farm ...in that it's largely 'real' but is clearly staged in way that creates talking points and has handpicked characters selected to bring humour or irritation to proceedings. I find them both good ways to watch human interaction and real life situations without any singing/dancing or dating!

I enjoy both and so do my kids. 

Nah. Clarkson’s farm is much better. For a start off the characters in the farm (the animals) are far more likeable than those on the apprentice (the candidates).😀

Seriously though, the farm isn’t meant to be taken that seriously whereas the Apprentice is (well, at a stretch). I used to enjoy the apprentice years ago but it is seriously well past it’s sell by date (as is Sugar and his attempted jokes which his sidekicks find hilarious).  I’ve also wondered why Lord Sugar would want to employ as an apprentice (back in the original format) or go into business with someone who shines at running around a town trying to buy things for 50p cheaper than their opponents, can flog food on a market stall or knows how much ingredients to put into a mixture.

The best episode (IMO) used to be the interview stage but even that is ridiculous with excessive bullying by the interviewers (for effect) and the ridiculous business plans presented. In the real world they’d probably be filed immediately in the bin.

I know really that, despite my earlier comment, The Apprentice shouldn’t really be taken that seriously but I do find it, and the candidates, incredibly irritating now. Perhaps it’s been going too long with effectively the same challenges every year and the producers are preferring to choose candidates based on their car crash entertainment value rather than their business potential.