Watchable telly

dog

46 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I drink in the Railway in Belper when the Town are at home 😁

The last home game there were 4 people sitting behind us, 2 English(male/female and the same with the other 2 but Americans all 4 I guess were mid to late 50s, The Americans have an accent that stands out a mile.

USA male was talking about Pearl Harbour...it got my attention and the horror the Japanese caused, He then went on and produced to say how the USA won WW2...if truth beknown without their manpower and equipment he wasn't far wrong, I really wanted to say summat but thought better of it.

A couple or 3 pints later USA man said they have never lost a War, We were putting our coats on and I had to say...excuse me...but you have, Oh he replied which one and when.

1861/1865 American Civil War...the South lost...my mates 🤣

I'll give that series a miss...thanks for the info 👍

USA man said they have never lost a War............................  I wonder what he thinks happened in Vietnam.

26 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

USA man said they have never lost a War............................  I wonder what he thinks happened in Vietnam.

A tactical withdrawal 😉 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Indeed, it's very much a case of but for the grace of God.

Would you recommend The Pacific, assuming you've watched it? Oddly, I've never have, perhaps because it wasn't as feted as BoB, though now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was the same team who filmed it.

I've not seen The Pacific either, so can't comment, but I would certainly recommend the two Clint Eastwood companion pieces about the battle of Iwo Jima - Flags of Our Fathers from the US serviceman's perspective, and Letters From Iwo Jima from the Japanese defender's perspective - the latter is one the finest films ever made about warfare IMO.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I've not seen The Pacific either, so can't comment, but I would certainly recommend the two Clint Eastwood companion pieces about the battle of Iwo Jima - Flags of Our Fathers from the US serviceman's perspective, and Letters From Iwo Jima from the Japanese defender's perspective - the latter is one the finest films ever made about warfare IMO.

The Battle of the River Plate is also a good war film 

56 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Cheers Crewton, added to watchlist.

On 10/03/2024 at 21:21, Comrade 86 said:

The Gentlemen - spin off series from Guy Ritchie's film of the same title. Shan't say too much to avoid giving anything away, but with a strong cast and a sharp and often funny script, this rattles along with the occasional nod to early outings from the director. Ritchie fans will be pleased to know that Ritchie revisits all of his favourite schticks: drug dealers, the aristocracy, pikeys and arrogant Americans, so if Ritchie is your bag, then you'll probably love this. Great fun without taking itself too seriously.

Watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it a lot. Will continue.

20 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ah yes, you've reminded me that some of the characters depicted are actually featured. I'd completely forgotten that. Rare for me to revisit shows, even favourites, but I think I've watched BoB 3 times end to end. It's a stunning piece of filmmaking which is a world apart from the garbage served up this time around. I don't feel any connection with the characters portrayed in MOTA which ironically I did with a tiny super low budget movie I watched recently which despite being shot on shoestring, really made me understand the horrors endured by fighter pilots and bomber crews. I can't recall what it's called, but it was shot for under a million quid!

If you don't mind me asking, are you a historian of sorts yourself or was it a chosen field in your academic past. You seem particularly well informed. I'm not sure of your age, but it always surprised me that WW2 was not even in the curriculum I studied, yet medieval Britain was covered endlessly. 

I re-watch Band of Brothers regularly.  It's perhaps the best limited series ever made.  Plus every time you watch it you notice another star you'd completely forgot, or didn't realise were in it...

For History Buffs, Sky History...all 3 1 hour episodes catch all 3 on Sky demand.

Royal Kill List...King Charles 2nd revenge on the Regicides from 1660

Excellent bit of theatre 👍 

On 12/03/2024 at 15:29, Crewton said:

Fisrt the bad news. I've broken two bones in my foot. Suffice to say I shan't be getting my dancing shoes on anytime soon! 😂 On the flipside though, I've got both movies ready to watch back to back tonight and the GF is doing pork tenderloin with mustard mash and spring greens which is one of my absolute favourite, classic British dishes which I'll be washing down with a bottle of robust red. 

Swings and roundabouts! 

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fisrt the bad news. I've broken two bones in my foot. Suffice to say I shan't be getting my dancing shoes on anytime soon! 😂 On the flipside though, I've got both movies ready to watch back to back tonight and the GF is doing pork tenderloin with mustard mash and spring greens which is one of my absolute favourite, classic British dishes which I'll be washing down with a bottle of robust red. 

Swings and roundabouts! 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

After the wine and the spring greens may I suggest Blazing Saddles?

On 12/03/2024 at 08:13, Comrade 86 said:

I tend to turn a blind eye to Hollywood's rampant Anglophobia, but I just find this show incredibly disrespectful considering the huge losses incurred, not just by Blighty, but also the many brave pilots from the wider Commonwealth. How inadequate do you have to feel in order to think that rewriting history like this actually makes the American war effort more significant and just how grateful must the Western world be? 

Matthew McConaghey deffo captured an enigma machine from a German sub and I won't here anything different.  Pacific is OK but not as good as BoB's.  That may be because the European campaign feels a bit closer to home though.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

After the wine and the spring greens may I suggest Blazing Saddles?

To be honest, I don't really suffer with flatulence, mate. Maybe after a curry and a heavy night on the ale. I'm also a flat out commie too apparently and generally speaking, I find that blowing out of one's arse is a condition suffered more extensively by Tory voters 👀

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

To be honest, I don't really suffer with flatulence, mate. Maybe after a curry and a heavy night on the ale. I'm also a flat out commie too apparently and generally speaking, I find that blowing out of one's arse is a condition suffered more extensively by Tory voters 👀

IMG_1762.gif

On 12/03/2024 at 14:16, Comrade 86 said:

Indeed, it's very much a case of but for the grace of God.

Would you recommend The Pacific, assuming you've watched it? Oddly, I've never have, perhaps because it wasn't as feted as BoB, though now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it was the same team who filmed it.

I started the Pacific,  I really can't recall if I finished it.

I seem to feel it was 'fine'. 

Bit like watching House of Dragon having watched Game of Thrones- seemed to do all the same things as Band of Brothers but without quite hitting the spot and left feeling emotionless for that....

Edited by Chester40

Mr In-between

Finished it and am gutted. No-one else seems to have watched it - but I will keep banging the drum!

As I've said before, its kinda similar to 'Barry'. But I prefer it. Is less glitzy and has less deliberate humour. Feels more real and I find it more impactful for it.

He's a bouncer and  low level assassin for hire, trying to navigate his way through life. No silliness with the violence,  he's a normal bloke who will do whatever it takes to get money to survive. Dialogue and the way its delivered feels very believable and there are lots of situations where you really are on his side, and you care about the other aspects of his life even though he does terrible things.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Mr In-between

Finished it and am gutted. No-one else seems to have watched it - but I will keep banging the drum!

As I've said before, its kinda similar to 'Barry'. But I prefer it. Is less glitzy and has less deliberate humour. Feels more real and I find it more impactful for it.

He's a bouncer and  low level assassin for hire, trying to navigate his way through life. No silliness with the violence,  he's a normal bloke who will do whatever it takes to get money to survive. Dialogue and the way its delivered feels very believable and there are lots of situations where you really are on his side, and you care about the other aspects of his life even though he does terrible things.

where can you watch it? Sounds good!

scratch that - I see it on Disney Plus. Added to watchlist

Edited by Stive Pesley

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Mr In-between

I've seen it and really liked it too.