Watchable telly

dog

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Talking about getting a puppy, and I've suggested calling it Nidge after the Love/ Hate character. The missus' bottom lip has grown and she no longer wants a puppy 😂

I think we are going to compromise and call him Dexter... she has no idea where that inspiration came from 😄

Finished Love / Hate. It's odd that I recall watching the first series, but never went back to it, but thanks to all for the heads up as it's a belter. Initially, I didn't buy Tom Vaughn-Lawlor's character at all, but it's a stellar piece of casting as he'd not be the first actor that'd spring to mind for the role, yet it's ultimately as memorable a performance as I can recall. He's like a Machiavelli for the 21st century and the way the noose inexorably tightens from episode to episode and series to series, as his greed and narcissism run riot, is almost Shakespearean. It all seems inevitable and yet utterly compelling at the same time and that's a very nuanced and clever trick. I liked Kin, but for me, this was in a different stratosphere.

15 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Finished Love / Hate. It's odd that I recall watching the first series, but never went back to it, but thanks to all for the heads up as it's a belter. Initially, I didn't buy Tom Vaughn-Lawlor's character at all, but it's a stellar piece of casting as he'd not be the first actor that'd spring to mind for the role, yet it's ultimately as memorable a performance as I can recall. He's like a Machiavelli for the 21st century and the way the noose inexorably tightens from episode to episode and series to series, as his greed and narcissism run riot, is almost Shakespearean. It all seems inevitable and yet utterly compelling at the same time and that's a very nuanced and clever trick. I liked Kin, but for me, this was in a different stratosphere.

He had the most amazing charismatic smile. He could switch from evil scumbag to lovely genuine guy in a second - it was really chilling. And I agree, I thought his character was the weak link in the first series, but he dominated it as it went on. Definitely better than Kin,which is a lot more polished, but I really like Kin too.

On 18/02/2024 at 20:24, Anag Ram said:

You quit too early!

Ambika Mod is far more believable than Hathaway as the girl whose charms are overlooked. She has more natural humour and charisma.

If you haven't already, give Alice and Jack a try on Channel 4. Angela Riseborough and Dominic Gleeson (plus a robust support from Aisling Bea). Two episodes in and find it so much of what I was hoping to get from One Day. Well scripted, genuine chemistry between the leads, a bit of aching over what a mess they seem to want to make of it all. Well worth it, and I hope it continues in the same vein.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

If you haven't already, give Alice and Jack a try on Channel 4. Angela Riseborough and Dominic Gleeson (plus a robust support from Aisling Bea). Two episodes in and find it so much of what I was hoping to get from One Day. Well scripted, genuine chemistry between the leads, a bit of aching over what a mess they seem to want to make of it all. Well worth it, and I hope it continues in the same vein.

Funny, 2 reviews I have read says there is no chemistry between the 2 😊

On 24/02/2024 at 11:47, Bob The Badger said:

He had the most amazing charismatic smile. He could switch from evil scumbag to lovely genuine guy in a second - it was really chilling. And I agree, I thought his character was the weak link in the first series, but he dominated it as it went on. Definitely better than Kin,which is a lot more polished, but I really like Kin too.

Re Kin....

I've finally finished the second season. Great ending. 

Left me puzzled though, about the delightful Mollie from the pharmacy storyline 🤔

2 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Re Kin....

Left me puzzled though, about the delightful Mollie from the pharmacy storyline 🤔

I thought the same….maybe a last fling before she got married? The only slight flaw in what was an excellent series and nearly made my top 10 😊

23 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I actually liked both series. Alice and Jack is different because he just finds himself obsessed by her, in spite of all her inconsistencies and insecurities.

One Day was more of a Jane Austen style love story, and had a more lasting effect on me. I had no idea of the story and didn’t know anything about the film. I would say I enjoyed it more but Alice and Jack was very good.

15 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Re Kin....

Yeh!!! How random was that?

I like the occasional random, meaningless plotlines.  Bosch was good for weaving those in.

I do wonder if it will resurface in the next one though

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I actually liked both series. Alice and Jack is different because he just finds himself obsessed by her, in spite of all her inconsistencies and insecurities.

One Day was more of a Jane Austen style love story, and had a more lasting effect on me. I had no idea of the story and didn’t know anything about the film. I would say I enjoyed it more but Alice and Jack was very good.

I loved the One Day book, devoured it in 24 hours. I'm also in the minority that I liked the film, I just thought it worked and it is exactly my timeline so nostalgia was high. I'm still only two episodes in of Alice and Jack so don't spoil it - if we're three down after twenty minutes tonight I might switch to episode three.

4 episodes left of One Day and me & Mrs Wolfie are enjoying it. We'll probably finish it tonight.

...that is to say that I'm enjoying it now I've mostly managed to suspend my disbelief that the two of them would have ever got together right at the beginning, they're just so different in every possible way you can think of.

I can't remember if that was the case in the book (read it donkeys years ago) and haven't seen the film.