Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

Radio Derby were infuriating talking about this on Saturday. Insisting he absolutely will be playing every single game.

He's a rotation option at best, and is most likely here so he can move into a coaching role after the season. I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

They simply couldn't comprehend this as an option.

15k a week is a lot of money to pay someone for cover, he must be coming to play surely?

It proveswe must have money to spend though, you wouldn't blow all of your budget risking it on a 38 year old that will take a few games to get up to speed.

Still a good move for me though.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

15k a week is a lot of money to pay someone for cover, he must be coming to play surely?

It proveswe must have money to spend though, you wouldn't blow all of your budget risking it on a 38 year old that will take a few games to get up to speed.

Still a good move for me though.

£15k plucked out of thin air. Unless Dawes & Ramage have suddenly found an ITK source.

40 minutes ago, Srg said:

Radio Derby were infuriating talking about this on Saturday. Insisting he absolutely will be playing every single game.

He's a rotation option at best, and is most likely here so he can move into a coaching role after the season. I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

They simply couldn't comprehend this as an option.

Their justification for that opinion makes sense though. If his rumoured salary is anywhere close to the truth, then he absolutely better be playing every game, otherwise it is a massive waste of money. If I wanted cover/rotation, I guarantee you I could find a cheaper option than Cole.

16 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

The 15k figure that has been mentioned was including bonuses, most of our players wages will increase each week due to different bonuses. So around the 10k mark sounds about right.

Exactly this. Watched him a few times last season as well as a few other MLS games, he wasn't even one of their designated players so I think he was capped at around the 11/12k mark. 

Probably makes just as much in sponsorship anyway, doubt money will be his primary concern to sign. 

Personally think it’s a shrewd move. Don’t expect him to play many games but it will take the burden off Malone a bit who does seem to pick up his fair share of niggles. 

Incredible experience to bring into the back line though, if Bogle can pick up a few things off him then that will justify his wages alone. I’d expect him to join the coaching staff at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

The £15k a week figure was from the Daily Mail on Saturday. The Mirror today is saying £10k a week.  

They all just make this stuff up. None of them know more than you or I.

The Sun will say 5k tomorrow, by Wednesday it will be a pay as you play deal in the Daily Star

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Their justification for that opinion makes sense though. If his rumoured salary is anywhere close to the truth, then he absolutely better be playing every game, otherwise it is a massive waste of money. If I wanted cover/rotation, I guarantee you I could find a cheaper option than Cole.

£15k a week for the remainder of the season (Feb - May) is about 16 weeks. 16 x £15k = £240k. If he has the legs you wont find better quality for that money.

39 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

£15k a week for the remainder of the season (Feb - May) is about 16 weeks. 16 x £15k = £240k. If he has the legs you wont find better quality for that money.

I agree, but I think he'll be playing most games.

The poster I was replying to thinks he's only being brought in as cover with a view to getting him on the coaching staff. My point is that if only a rotation option is required, there is no reason to pay for someone like Cole.

Archived