Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Percy says it’s going to happen, so it will, according to his Twitter account

Ashley Cole is set to sign for #dcfc on Monday. Medical in the next few days and Cole will sign a short-term deal until the end of the season #cfc telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/… via @telefootball

He also says , in his Telegraph article, on a 6 month contract at £15k a week

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Ashley Cole could make his Derby County debut away at Accrington Stanley.

Guarantee that’s a sentence you’d never thought you’d read.

I'd guarantee it's a sentence the Accrington fans would never thought they'd read, either.

13 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I'd guarantee it's a sentence the Accrington fans would never thought they'd read, either.

Surely he will need a couple of weeks training and a couple of games in the U23s first won't he....he hasn't played or trained for ages.....

Interesting, surprisingly honest take from Curtis Davies at the game today. He said that one of the things you'd worry about as a player was if Cole"s too friendly with the manager. But at the same time he recognized the instant respect Cole would receive for everything he's achieved. 

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Surely he will need a couple of weeks training and a couple of games in the U23s first won't he....he hasn't played or trained for ages.....

He's not played since the end of October. Moderate injuries last longer.

As an experienced pro who's been intending to continue his career, I'd expect that he's been at the very least keeping his fitness levels up during that time.

Working into the system will take time but would that be super important away to Accrington? Probably not.

5 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

John Percy says it’s going to happen, so it will, according to his Twitter account

Ashley Cole is set to sign for #dcfc on Monday. Medical in the next few days and Cole will sign a short-term deal until the end of the season #cfc telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/… via @telefootball

He also says , in his Telegraph article, on a 6 month contract at £15k a week

I think it’s crazy and sentimentally.  All of frank’s signings have done ok to very well barring the Zoon. But this is beyond me? He’s 38 and not played for 3 months. We’ll be linked with Drogba next. Hope I’m proved wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I think it’s crazy and sentimentally.  All of frank’s signings have done ok to very well barring the Zoon. But this is beyond me? He’s 38 and not played for 3 months. We’ll be linked with Drogba next. Hope I’m proved wrong. 

I think you have to give him a chance, he's been one of the worlds best LB's and like frank said, if he was anywhere near like his best we wouldn't be in for him. He want's to coach after finishing and to have him coach here would in my opinion be great for our kids. Having one of the best midfielders in the world in his time as manager and one of the best, if not the best LB's as a coach ( I would expect at youth level first), can only be good for the club in the long term. imo

33 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I don't see whats crazy about it.

Frank thinks the future at LB is probably at the club (Max Lowe), so he doesn't need to make a long-term signing.

But we do need something short term, because we have injuries and Lowe isn't deemed to be ready at this time.

His choice for a short-term signing is either a loan of a LB (who's availability would suggest they weren't wanted on loan by anyone in the summer, so would they be good enough?) or a very experienced player who he knows and trusts, who was the cream of the crop in his prime - in the hope that he will not only aid with our LB situation over the second half of the season but will also pass some of his defensive experience (something that our coaching staff lack in terms of their specialty) onto our younger defenders.

Also, if the Sun (so huge if) was correct about the discussions potentially involving a move to a coaching role after this season - the move makes even more sense.

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

We have no cover for left back. He will be in compitition with Malone for that spot. It will be a contract until the end of the season. What's the problem? 

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We have no cover for left back. He will be in compitition with Malone for that spot. It will be a contract until the end of the season. What's the problem? 

Can’t see the issue either, good competition and excellent experience for the young lads....Paul McGrath anyone ?!?!?! 

Archived