Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

10 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Malone has made very few mistakes for us and wasn't cheap. Cole coming straight in as undisputed starter would be very harsh.

Don't write off Malone as a left sided midfield option with Mount in the middle and Holmes on the right.

Would give Bogle and Cole licence but with plenty of energy to support the forwards too.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Don't write off Malone as a left sided midfield option with Mount in the middle and Holmes on the right.

Would give Bogle and Cole licence but with plenty of energy to support the forwards too.

Lampard doesn't seem to want to play wingers though - He plays wide men to cut inside - On Saturday it was right-footed Holmes on the left and left-footed Waghorn on the right

It drives me mental that he does that - It means we have no width, half the time when Bogle attacks he has no support and when the midfield/defence are looking to play outlet passes into wide positions there isn't an option and/or our wide midfielder is making another run inside (which is into the space the CMs are running into)

The flip side is you could argue we have more players in the box than we ever used to - Under previous managers we've often failed to get enough players in the box so crosses were being aimed at only 1 player - That seems to have changed (mainly because we don't have anyone making crosses...)

Anyway - Don't expect to see proper, touchline-hugging wingers any time soon

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Lampard doesn't seem to want to play wingers though - He plays wide men to cut inside - On Saturday it was right-footed Holmes on the left and left-footed Waghorn on the right

It drives me mental that he does that - It means we have no width, half the time when Bogle attacks he has no support and when the midfield/defence are looking to play outlet passes into wide positions there isn't an option and/or our wide midfielder is making another run inside (which is into the space the CMs are running into)

The flip side is you could argue we have more players in the box than we ever used to - Under previous managers we've often failed to get enough players in the box so crosses were being aimed at only 1 player - That seems to have changed (mainly because we don't have anyone making crosses...)

A three man midfield doesn't involve wide men. RM and LM cover the inside of each flank between wider forwards and the full backs.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

When the wide forwards move inside it should allow the full backs to exploit the space and get crosses in. They just don’t do it very often, although Malone does it the most.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Dying breed those are in football, expect ‘wingers’ to be retired and replaced with ‘forwards’ in the next 5 years or so, we’re in the transition stage now with ‘wide men’ 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Dying breed those are in football, expect ‘wingers’ to be retired and replaced with ‘forwards’ in the next 5 years or so, we’re in the transition stage now with ‘wide men’ 

Inside forwards became a thing from FM a while back.

Ironically the person who made inside forwards mainstream, Guardiola, now plays with two wingers who play like traditional wingers in his team, Sane and Sterling . I wonder if they will slowly creap back into the game. More teams are playing with one more defensive full back to have more people at the back to stop counter attacks, which means that the winger on that side will need to provide width.

Malone cost about £3m didn't he? I'd imagine that he's on good, good money too. If he's on less than £20k a week then I would be surprised. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Cole won't get his fair amount of game time, but I don't think he'll be guaranteed to play the full 90 game-in, game-out. Malone has already had a few knocks this season, so with 18 league games left I would be surprised if Cole starts in more than nine of them. 

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Sky saying midweek which If true it may be too soon for Saturday morning 

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s trained today with the team, checked him out, Moor Farm tour, meet and greets, see if he fancies it for 6 months. Medical, few beers with Lampard, contract sorted, announced tomorrow morning.

35 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ironically the person who made inside forwards mainstream, Guardiola, now plays with two wingers who play like traditional wingers in his team, Sane and Sterling . I wonder if they will slowly creap back into the game. More teams are playing with one more defensive full back to have more people at the back to stop counter attacks, which means that the winger on that side will need to provide width.

Pinched from Wikipedia 

“The position of inside forward was popularly used in the late nineteenth and first half of the twentieth centuries. The inside forwards would support the centre-forward, running and making space in the opposition defence, and, as the passing game developed, supporting him or her with passes.”

Alan Durban was signed as an inside forward.........wing halves, inside right, inside left, outside right, outside left yer about 125 years out of date youth!

2 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Pinched from Wikipedia 

“The position of inside forward was popularly used in the late nineteenth and first half of the twentieth centuries. The inside forwards would support the centre-forward, running and making space in the opposition defence, and, as the passing game developed, supporting him or her with passes.”

Alan Durban was signed as an inside forward.........wing halves, inside right, inside left, outside right, outside left yer about 125 years out of date youth!

What that Wiki page fails to mention is Guardiola invented football. 

44 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Bloody hell footballs got complicated since I used to play .It was either the ball or the man got by you but not both.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

A three man midfield doesn't involve wide men. RM and LM cover the inside of each flank between wider forwards and the full backs.

I think there's a difference in definitions here which @David partly covered in his post

When I say wide men I'm talking about the sides of our front 3 - The guys who become part of a 4-5-1 in defence and a 4-3-3 in attack - Lampard seems to prefer that they aim to mostly cut inside - Which I personally thinks creates more problems solutions

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

When the wide forwards move inside it should allow the full backs to exploit the space and get crosses in. They just don’t do it very often, although Malone does it the most.

Should - However the major problem (for me) is that when Malone or (especially) Bogle come forward they mostly seem not to have any support - It's the same problem Christie had towards the end of his time with us - Tricksy players are at their best when the opposition don't know what they're going to do next - Will they pass? Which way will they pass? Will they go for the line? Will they dart inside? - I've noticed a lot with Bogle that he's left on his own out there so that when he gets the ball from Keogh or Huddlestone he has restricted options - pass back or beat his man - There's rarely support from the forward on that side with an outlet pass or coming short for a one-two - Means the defender has a really easy job - There's only 1 attacking option for Bogle to take and the defender simply blocks that off

Archived