When You Were A Teenage Ram (14-16)

SK47

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first started going in the Tim Ward era, and my early heroes were Frank Upton, Eddie Thomas and Reg Matthews.

One shilling and sixpence to get into the kid's corner, then as soon as the copper turned his back, over the wall at the front and scoot over to the popside. When I got a paper round, I was able to get a season ticket, which I think cost £2

I bet @BurtonRam7 has said something regarding Steve Bloomer, hasn't he? Git.

I was 14 in 1971 so my first Derby County heroes could have been the title-winning side of 71-72. No need to name them all as they are household names but I sadly never saw them as I couldn't afford to go to matches. 

Instead I was a regular at Alfreton Town, where John Harrison was the hero. At least until I turned 16 and had to get a Saturday job or leave school.

Didn't actually get to the Baseball Ground until I was 17-18 so my proper first heroes were the second title winning side of which Colin Todd and Bruce Rioch were my favourites. 

I was 14 and had just moved from Queensland down to Tasmania in 1975. Only thing you heard about English football was who was going to win the comp and when i heard Derby i knew that's where my dad came from before the government sent him over to a orphanage over here. Followed them from a distance ever since. Been lucky enough to have lived and travelled in the UK a fair bit the last 10 years so try to get to a match every year. 

5 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

The man whose goals dragged us from our darkest days back to the big time, the last real hero I remember, everything else since then has never matched up, however Marriott could well be the next Bobby !

F720C950-FEEE-4DE0-A26E-F71B806B4B26.jpeg

Do you think so? Strange no one else has thought of it!

1 hour ago, SK47 said:

So, When you were 14-16, who were your Derby idols at the time? 

Marco Gabbiadini. Loved everything about him, especially the trademark patch of dirt that he'd always seem to have on the front of his shirt.

Ole Ole Ole Ole Marco Marco!

Where abouts in Cornwall @SK47? And how on earth did you manage to do it on the train in one day? For me I'd have to get on the 06:30 train to get me to the ground about an hour before kick-off, then to go back I'd have the tough choice of watching the first 20 minutes and getting the train home to arrive at 11pm, or watch the whole game and have a 16 and a half hour journey back (including a 9 hour overnight wait at Plymouth)...

Oh and it would only cost £160 for the pleasure!

1 hour ago, Ramzabac said:

Definitely a lucky boy. First season ticket in 1969 age 11. 1973-75. King Kevin Hector for me. But hey ho could pick anyone of a dozen others as my idol. I just thought we would be unbeatable for ever at that age! 

Dont want to get ahead of myself but this season has a whiff of 1968 with a young smart tactically astute management team. COYR. 

Snap, I was 16 in the summer of 75. God, those days were great but they didn't last. Idols, Rioch, Toddy plus another 9 players and Charlie about to arrive. 

The train up from Brum on Saturdays and my dad taking me to midweek games when I couldn't get back on the train. 

Happy days. 

Probably the second best time after the league title seasons.

Saw us get promotion from the third, win the second and then two seasons later finish fifth in the First Division.

dGrlZR6.jpg

Great change kit

x69q5nz.jpg

New exciting forward, scored consecutively for a few matches when I went to about 16 in a row home and away. Only time I've ever done that.

Xkgkn3N.jpg

Shilton being brilliant, here at Arsenal away (we beat them twice that season)

yCIOm3G.jpg

Graham Richards on RD, leading to Phil Gee's cracker

Brilliant, happy days.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Where abouts in Cornwall @SK47? And how on earth did you manage to do it on the train in one day? For me I'd have to get on the 06:30 train to get me to the ground about an hour before kick-off, then to go back I'd have the tough choice of watching the first 20 minutes and getting the train home to arrive at 11pm, or watch the whole game and have a 16 and a half hour journey back (including a 9 hour overnight wait at Plymouth)...

Oh and it would only cost £160 for the pleasure!

I live in Newquay. It's funny, My commitment to going to games was alot stronger back then than it is now lol we sometimes would stay with our family up there, but we had to be back for youth football on the Sunday so we would usually just head back and get someone to pick us up from Plymouth. 

32 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

I was truly blessed to see 'my team' win the league 74 - 75 as an awe struck, spotty, 14 year old, memories for life. Its In my blood. 

Yep!

20 minute train into Derby, to watch Boulton, Nish, Todd, Daniel (Roy Mac was injured nearly all season), Webster, Thomas, Newton, Gemmill, Rioch, Gladys, Frannie, Zak, Big Rog, Steve Powell, Jeff Bourne.....

Obvious favourites were Todd, Hector, Gemmill, Rioch - absolutely class, arguably the best in their positions in the country at the time (possibly Europe as well), but there was also heroes like Roger Davies from non-league, a rather rotund Franny Lee nearing the end of an illustrious career, Henry Newton who patrolled the midfield to allow Bruce and Archie to go marauding.....

I know its looking back through rose tinted specs but I don't think we had a scapegoat that season - all were heroes - a great mixture of ages, big signings, reserves, non league......

uttoxram75.??

Archived