When You Were A Teenage Ram (14-16)

SK47

I remember when I was a young rams fan about 14-16, me and my mate who was also a Derby fan and the same age, we would travel up on the train from Cornwall to watch games and then do the journey home after (die hards). Even though we wasn't the best team in the league, we had some players that I just loved for different reasons, some random, some warranted.

Grzegorz Rasiak - The lanky bean, tricky goal scoring machine. When we sold him, I remember being absolutey gutted.

Morten Bisgaard - I loved his name and the fact he had a trick or 2!

Marco Reich - He scored that freekick against Millwall. 

Junior - He was Brazilian.. Had yellow hair... And again, he had yellow hair. Amazing.

Tom Huddlestone - He was about 16 years old and an absolute giant. And not to mention he could play A bit!

Idiakez - One of the best freekick takers I've ever seen for Derby, He was Spanish.. and he wore Joma football boots. 

So, When you were 14-16, who were your Derby idols at the time? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SK47 said:

I remember when I was a young rams fan about 14-16, me and my mate who was also a Derby fan and the same age, we would travel up on the train from Cornwall to watch games and then do the journey home after (die hards). Even though we wasn't the best team in the league, we had some players that I just loved for different reasons, some random, some warranted.

Grzegorz Rasiak - The lanky bean, tricky goal scoring machine. When we sold him, I remember being absolutey gutted.

Morten Bisgaard - I loved his name and the fact he had a trick or 2!

Marco Reich - He scored that freekick against Millwall. 

Junior - He was Brazilian.. Had yellow hair... And again, he had yellow hair. Amazing.

Tom Huddlestone - He was about 16 years old and an absolute giant. And not to mention he could play A bit!

Idiakez - One of the best freekick takers I've ever seen for Derby, He was Spanish.. and he wore Joma football boots. 

So, When you were 14-16, who were your Derby idols at the time? 

I'll give you three guesses. 

I think in 1986 Bobby ‘oh Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Davison’ Davison was our top scorer I thought he was great and we had stemmed the slide and got promoted from division 3.

By 1988 it was the likes of Ted ‘the tin man’ McMinn who had a fantastic season and Dean ‘Deano’ Saunders.

A few others to mention were Rob ‘iron legs’ Hindmarch.

Paul Goddard, Gary ‘ticklepink’ Micklewright.

12 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think in 1986 Bobby ‘oh Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Davison’ Davison was our top scorer I thought he was great and we had stemmed the slide and got promoted from division 3.

By 1988 it was the likes of Ted ‘the tin man’ McMinn who had a fantastic season and Dean ‘Deano’ Saunders.

A few others to mention were Rob ‘iron legs’ Hindmarch.

Paul Goddard, Gary ‘ticklepink’ Micklewright.

My era too

Definitely a lucky boy. First season ticket in 1969 age 11. 1973-75. King Kevin Hector for me. But hey ho could pick anyone of a dozen others as my idol. I just thought we would be unbeatable for ever at that age! 

Dont want to get ahead of myself but this season has a whiff of 1968 with a young smart tactically astute management team. COYR. 

My first game was as a 10-year old (with free tickets from Richie Williams football training at Findern school on a Sunday morning), losing 2-1 to Southend United*, back-end of 1995. Then the somewhat underwhelming appointment of Jim Smith (boy was I wrong about that!).

Obviously I remember Stimac, Sturridge, Chris Powell all being great, but also the complete ratters in Carsley and Sean Flynn, bloody ugly footballers! 

*incidentally I held it against my dad for years for making us stand on the Popside whilst all my mates had the lovely plush seats in the Normanton Upper - how I was wrong about the Popside too!

Archived