V WBA (A) Match Thread

Millenniumram

Just to add a bit of balance to the thread, I thought we started very poorly last night. Reminded me very much of the Millwall away game, that day we got punished but last night we didn't. 

Just before our first goal I was thinking we needed to scrap plan A for 5 or 10 minutes and try and get a foothold on the game but we stuck with it and it paid dividends.

A few points that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else:-

Carson excellent anticipation to cut put the cross from Rodriguez following Keoghs mistake and also got out well for the 'peno' incident

Bogle didn't seem to get forward so much last night, assume this was a balance to Malone steaming forward at every opportunity. Thought Bogle looked a bit shaky at times. Maybe better with Wisdom and Malone playing together? Just a thought. 

Tomori excellent last night.

Masterstroke by Lampard playing Malone to nullify the threat from Phillips.

Think Waghorn needs a goal to kick start him.

Lawrence thought he was great for 50 minutes then as soon as we went 3-0 up he reverted to silly shots and running into brick walls, although in his post match interviews he did say Lampard had told him to run at their defence.

Saw the best and worst of Bennett last night, great assist followed by a shot that my 5 year old lady would have been embarrassed by. Can see why his goalscoring record is so bad! 

Sat at home watching it on the box the fans sounded very loud, fair play to all that went.

Anyone else worried about Bris?

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Wednesday in London Town and Villa at Norwich are decent followings, the rest, meh. Sky's red button taking it's toll midweek. 

Still think ours was poor, it's only down the road. 

Poor yes, but with Chelsea next week, think a fair few will have prioritised. Not saying that's right or wrong.

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just to add a bit of balance to the thread, I thought we started very poorly last night. Reminded me very much of the Millwall away game, that day we got punished but last night we didn't. 

Just before our first goal I was thinking we needed to scrap plan A for 5 or 10 minutes and try and get a foothold on the game but we stuck with it and it paid dividends.

A few points that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else:-

Carson excellent anticipation to cut put the cross from Rodriguez following Keoghs mistake and also got out well for the 'peno' incident

Bogle didn't seem to get forward so much last night, assume this was a balance to Malone steaming forward at every opportunity. Thought Bogle looked a bit shaky at times. Maybe better with Wisdom and Malone playing together? Just a thought. 

Tomori excellent last night.

Masterstroke by Lampard playing Malone to nullify the threat from Phillips.

Think Waghorn needs a goal to kick start him.

Lawrence thought he was great for 50 minutes then as soon as we went 3-0 up he reverted to silly shots and running into brick walls, although in his post match interviews he did say Lampard had told him to run at their defence.

Saw the best and worst of Bennett last night, great assist followed by a shot that my 5 year old lady would have been embarrassed by. Can see why his goalscoring record is so bad! 

Sat at home watching it on the box the fans sounded very loud, fair play to all that went.

Anyone else worried about Bris?

My one sore point from last night, and it’s tiny from s team perspective, is that no one went and just put an arm round him after that because his body language wasn’t good. He cut quite a lonely figure afterwards which didn’t sit right.

Hes desperate for a goal the lad is, once he gets it he’ll fly!

58 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

My one sore point from last night, and it’s tiny from s team perspective, is that no one went and just put an arm round him after that because his body language wasn’t good. He cut quite a lonely figure afterwards which didn’t sit right.

I really liked his skill leading up to that chance. Took every touch with his left foot to sucker the defender into thinking he was left footed and giving him more space on his right. Such a shame he slipped at the wrong moment.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

He was looking for someone to pass it to which is great but he needed to concentrate on a good connection but he sadly toed it - a shame because his confidence will sky rocket when he does but he did record another assist 

9 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Wednesday in London Town and Villa at Norwich are decent followings, the rest, meh. Sky's red button taking it's toll midweek. 

Still think ours was poor, it's only down the road. 

Yeah but we have a really greedy flag, must have taken 200 seats on his own, someone needs to have a word ??

I wasn’t at the match last night, and only heard it on Radio Derby, but judging by that broadcast and the comments on here, Tom Huddlestone is becoming properly appreciated at last ..

This man is so talented that he should have been England’s regular, first pick, playmaker for the last ten years, and it’s a tragedy and a travesty that one England manager after another has failed to notice his class as the perfect midfield creator, playmaker and steadying influence. 

And we’ve got him, a Derby product, from our own Academy, bringing his skill, and imposing his calming influence upon our young, hungry team. A true Derby County Legend in the making ..

7 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I wasn’t at the match last night, and only heard it on Radio Derby, but judging by that broadcast and the comments on here, Tom Huddlestone is becoming properly appreciated at last ..

This man is so talented that he should have been England’s regular, first pick, playmaker for the last ten years, and it’s a tragedy and a travesty that one England manager after another has failed to notice his class as the perfect midfield creator, playmaker and steadying influence. 

And we’ve got him, a Derby product, from our own Academy, bringing his skill, and imposing his calming influence upon our young, hungry team. A true Derby County Legend in the making ..

Yes @Ram8!!! Thought I was the only raving Thud fanboy, but this post says otherwise ? 

11 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

Huddlestone's problem has always been his lack of pace and mobility. He would have been great in an England team full of pace, but he was around at the time we had the slowest set of players (bar a couple of players) I've ever seen in England shirts.

15 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

And we sold him for 30 pieces of silver. (Are we allowed biblical allegories?)

8 hours ago, KCG said:

Huddlestone's problem has always been his lack of pace and mobility. He would have been great in an England team full of pace, but he was around at the time we had the slowest set of players (bar a couple of players) I've ever seen in England shirts.

Think he is looking a bit slimmer this season 

KCG .. When one has (as Tom Huddlestone has in abundance) skill, anticipation, vision, a sublime first touch and laser-like passing ability; then pace and mobility are secondary considerations. He is one of the ‘chosen few’ who can influence a game without pace and mobility, and it is a privilege to have him back on board at Derby, and to be able to say in a few year’s time that we saw at first hand the great TH in his prime .. 

20 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

KCG .. When one has (as Tom Huddlestone has in abundance) skill, anticipation, vision, a sublime first touch and laser-like passing ability; then pace and mobility are secondary considerations. He is one of the ‘chosen few’ who can influence a game without pace and mobility, and it is a privilege to have him back on board at Derby, and to be able to say in a few year’s time that we saw at first hand the great TH in his prime .. 

Everyone else in the team should be so grateful to have him in their side they should be prepared to do his extra running!

It's defensively that his mobility is a problem. Not so much at this level but for the levels he could have reached with his technical ability.

He's slow to turn, he can't recover from even the slightest poor positioning and he can be beaten or shaken off by his man with a good first touch too easily. He can't press and return to shape quick enough. 

I'm not criticising him. I'm saying that's why he's at this level when his technique and awareness are above Championship standard easily. 

He's grafting for us now more than I think he has for some years. 

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

I was replying to the comment saying he should have been an England regular, and I was explaining why he wasn't. At the moment we have plenty of pace in the Derby team, so he fits in and can use his undoubted skills.

21 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He was looking for someone to pass it to which is great but he needed to concentrate on a good connection but he sadly toed it - a shame because his confidence will sky rocket when he does but he did record another assist 

Being selfless is probably his biggest criticism really. I think it’ll sky rocket too and hope the coaches are working with him to get in the right positions and to now take risks. This is the thing with Lawrence a bit, when Lawrence was being criticised we were more unsettled in the middle of the pitch which made Lawrence part of a set who were running around sometimes aimlessly. Bennett was the one who actually held his position and didn’t try the spectacular. Now Mount and Wilson especially look a lot more settled in their roles, it’s no surprise that Lawrence is back in contention and playing better. The same should happen with Bennett (and Josefzoon) that they can play with more freedom and get into better positions and look more of a threat.

Archived