V WBA (A) Match Thread

Millenniumram

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Not sure about that. He came quite close the other night, but Mount blocked on the line!

Very amusing but joking aside it got me thinking. Would that register in the statistics as a "shot on target" for the opposition, given that it would have gone in if Mount hadn't blocked it? Genuine question, just curious to know how they count these things.

1 hour ago, OohMartWright said:

Very amusing but joking aside it got me thinking. Would that register in the statistics as a "shot on target" for the opposition, given that it would have gone in if Mount hadn't blocked it? Genuine question, just curious to know how they count these things.

I'm not actually certain that the block on the line came from Carson's touch or a West Brom player, but I assume that if it was Carson's then it wouldn't count as a shot on target.

Finally got to watch it on Rams TV playback last night. What a match!

I was otherwise occupied at a send-off for a children's worker from our church who is leaving for a new job elsewhere - it would have been bad form to have the telly or radio on, so I had to suffer in silence!

Having watched it, I think we actually beat West Brom in their heads, with the result being the natural outworking of the mind-games which we had already already won.

The first goal wasn't simply a catastrophic back-pass - Jack Marriott was lurking behind another defender and probably couldn't be seen, and secondly he wasn't there by chance. He knew exactly what he was doing, and anticipated the back-pass. On some camera angles you can see him actually begin to accelerate as the ball is being played. He took the gamble and it paid off! How many times have we needed this in previous seasons, especially under Rowett-ball, and its great to see everybody having the freedom to have a go.

For the first part of the match, I wouldn't describe our performance as free-flowing, or even dominating. There were glimpses of what we could do, but overall we simply started out being very effective, and very clinical, but consistently beating West Brom to the second ball, and increasingly going and getting the ball off them when we didn't have it wore the opposition down. And bit by bit our passing game began to appear, and for much of the rest of the match there was only one team likely to score, until the last 10 - 15 minutes.

Of particular mention is Tom Lawrence. When he scored, it was typical Lawrence, beating his man, cutting inside and going for the shot, seemingly regardless of what any of his team mates were doing. It was actually a superb shot finishing off a superb move, and was about the only time that he was "typically Lawrence". Consistently he was able to identify the dead-end ahead, and instead of blindly running into it, he passed the ball back or sideways to someone better placed. He has clearly learned something during his enforced lay-off. Well done Jody!

I was glad to see Malone back in the starting line up, and he looks to have sorted out his defensive work, and took his goal like a naturally-born striker. Very easy to watch going forwards, and a good asset.

Something very special is happening, and i am going to miss out on this stage of the drama - I have a wedding to attend on Saturday, and shall miss at least the first half, and have a training day next Saturday at work. But I think the Rams can probably manage without me being there. But I will be back! 

COME ON YOU RAMS!

23 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Finally got to watch it on Rams TV playback last night. What a match!

I was otherwise occupied at a send-off for a children's worker from our church who is leaving for a new job elsewhere - it would have been bad form to have the telly or radio on, so I had to suffer in silence!

Having watched it, I think we actually beat West Brom in their heads, with the result being the natural outworking of the mind-games which we had already already won.

The first goal wasn't simply a catastrophic back-pass - Jack Marriott was lurking behind another defender and probably couldn't be seen, and secondly he wasn't there by chance. He knew exactly what he was doing, and anticipated the back-pass. On some camera angles you can see him actually begin to accelerate as the ball is being played. He took the gamble and it paid off! How many times have we needed this in previous seasons, especially under Rowett-ball, and its great to see everybody having the freedom to have a go.

For the first part of the match, I wouldn't describe our performance as free-flowing, or even dominating. There were glimpses of what we could do, but overall we simply started out being very effective, and very clinical, but consistently beating West Brom to the second ball, and increasingly going and getting the ball off them when we didn't have it wore the opposition down. And bit by bit our passing game began to appear, and for much of the rest of the match there was only one team likely to score, until the last 10 - 15 minutes.

Of particular mention is Tom Lawrence. When he scored, it was typical Lawrence, beating his man, cutting inside and going for the shot, seemingly regardless of what any of his team mates were doing. It was actually a superb shot finishing off a superb move, and was about the only time that he was "typically Lawrence". Consistently he was able to identify the dead-end ahead, and instead of blindly running into it, he passed the ball back or sideways to someone better placed. He has clearly learned something during his enforced lay-off. Well done Jody!

I was glad to see Malone back in the starting line up, and he looks to have sorted out his defensive work, and took his goal like a naturally-born striker. Very easy to watch going forwards, and a good asset.

Something very special is happening, and i am going to miss out on this stage of the drama - I have a wedding to attend on Saturday, and shall miss at least the first half, and have a training day next Saturday at work. But I think the Rams can probably manage without me being there. But I will be back! 

COME ON YOU RAMS!

what about the ref ?

Archived