Fikayo Tomori

jimbobram

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, cannable said:

He’s world class on the floor but appalling  in aerial duals.  It’s honestly such a juxtaposition. 

Carrying it out, making half a yard in the right spaces, tackling, covering, intercepting, his range of passing… he’s immense. 

Awful in the air though. It’s costed us a few goals already.

This isn’t supposed to be an attack, as with Mount and Wilson, I want him to be the best he can be. Needs to really improve in this area. 

I’m being harsh because I want them to do so well.

I’d agree after his first 3-4 games but since then I think he’s been good all round. The ball hasn’t seem to go over him like those first couple of games. Think he’s learning quickly.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Valid point. It’s our weakness as a team I would say. The only way I could see them equalising last night was a ball into the box for fellaini.

we never looked like winning a header from attacking set pieces either, but I’m sure mount & Wilson can come up with some fancy short corner routines, they’ve got the ability.

There equaliser though jimbo was due to the ball being lost cheaply due to what looked like tiredness i think by BJ and then Wisdom did not get off the floor.... and think maybe could've done more, can't really criticise an immense  team performance though 

6 minutes ago, Saity said:

There equaliser though jimbo was due to the ball being lost cheaply due to what looked like tiredness i think by BJ and then Wisdom did not get off the floor.... and think maybe could've done more, can't really criticise an immense  team performance though 

True, but I don’t think weve looked comfortable dealing with balls into the box all season, I’d guess wisdom was brought on for his aerial ability over bogle, he got caught under the ball badly. Not giving the ball away and cutting out crosses at source is the obvious answer.

for that to be the only thing to nitpick about last nights performance, speaks volumes for how good the performance was though ?

59 minutes ago, Saity said:

Hard to get off the floor when Fellani is all over you, practically had Wisdom in a headlock. 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

He’s world class on the floor but appalling  in aerial duals.  It’s honestly such a juxtaposition. 

Carrying it out, making half a yard in the right spaces, tackling, covering, intercepting, his range of passing… he’s immense. 

This isn’t supposed to be an attack, as with Mount and Wilson, I want him to be the best he can be. Needs to really improve in this area. 

Maybe he will play RB when Davies is fit.

17 minutes ago, SuperFrankieL said:

I'll give you all a little hope. If we can sell Nathan Ake, then I think we could probably sell Big Fik - will need some prem money for that though.

I think Chelsea will be open to sell most of their youngsters for the a good fee tbh. They just don't rate them. If we go up I fully expect us to go for Tomori. Our current centre backs are at the end of their careers. Especially in the prem. Tomori, looks like he is already falling in love with the Rams.

Also, if you have instagram, check Tomori's Story with his dad in it. Brilliant.

Chelsea don't really bring their youth players through, they tend to sell them to fund bigger purchases. This includes Mount and Tomori. Mount might stick around if he impresses, don't think Barkley is impossible to replace (and I think he was only bought to fulfil the homegrown player requirement).

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd sell them with a buy back clause in there, think they had one for Ake (who was more highly rated than Tomori).

18 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

Plus if this new max 6 players Loaned out deal that Fifa introduced gets approved, we can see Chelsea having to sell 10-20 players, cant see Mount being one of them but Tomori would be imaginable...

Yeh I was going to make this comment too

They currently have 40 players out on loan - Apparently the business model is "get loads of young players in - Loan them out so you don't have to pay the wages (and maybe get a loan fee too) - Sell them at 23/24 for some millions" - Which they won't be able to do if the rules get approved

BTW - The rule would need ratifying by the PL and I can see Chelsea kicking off about it and it never happening - But if it does I would imagine there'll be quite a few players from Chelsea to be had over the next 2-3 seasons

For a signing that came out of nowhere it’s been one of our best, our only ok player vs Leeds and he’s just got better and better, fast strong good in the air! Types of loans and signings we will get under Lampard, who wouldn’t want to play under him 

On 26/09/2018 at 06:42, Saity said:

On 26/09/2018 at 06:48, jimbo jones said:

True, but I don’t think weve looked comfortable dealing with balls into the box all season, I’d guess wisdom was brought on for his aerial ability over bogle, he got caught under the ball badly. Not giving the ball away and cutting out crosses at source is the obvious answer.

Lukaku and then Feillaini - Two world class 6-yard box players - The fact that our defence had a bit of trouble with them is no surprise and we shouldn't be too down about that

The clearance by Tomori should have been in the stand - But tiredness at that point in the game is understandable and he was being pressed by Lukaku - So an understandable thing to have done - Unfortunate that it dropped directly to their RB

On 26/09/2018 at 00:30, cannable said:

On 26/09/2018 at 05:08, jimbo jones said:

Valid point. It’s our weakness as a team I would say. The only way I could see them equalising last night was a ball into the box for fellaini.

we never looked like winning a header from attacking set pieces either, but I’m sure mount & Wilson can come up with some fancy short corner routines, they’ve got the ability.

I was just looking for aerial stats in our league to see how we stack up, and it does appear that our best in the air (Keogh/Johnson) aren't even top 50 in the league so far this season in average aerial duels won per game, averaging 4 per game. That does indeed suggest that it is an area in which we are weak in general. 

Tomori is better than most of our team, mind.

Staggeringly, Lukas Jutkiewicz of Brum and Josh Magennis of Bolton are both averaging TWELVE aerial duels won per game. Obviously, they're target men of route one football but it could be something we struggle with on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Lukaku and then Feillaini - Two world class 6-yard box players - The fact that our defence had a bit of trouble with them is no surprise and we shouldn't be too down about that

The clearance by Tomori should have been in the stand - But tiredness at that point in the game is understandable and he was being pressed by Lukaku - So an understandable thing to have done - Unfortunate that it dropped directly to their RB

I agree, fellaini & Lukaku are two of the best in the game in the air. @SaintRam has done the work that backs up what I had a feeling about, that aerial balls are a general weakness of ours. 

Other than the Leeds game, teams haven’t been ripping through us to score goals. We look pretty solid, Tomori’s pace is a big asset to cut out counter attacks.

the one thing we do look vulnerable on is crosses into the box, especially if there’s a big powerful number 9 waiting in the box. pretty sure the Reading & Brentford goals were from crosses?

Indont want to come across too critical and It doesn’t mean I’d rather have a big lump at the back to just head it away, but against teams who do have a big centre forward we will need to come up with away to stop the threat eg stop the crosses coming in...or score a shed load of goals first ?

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I was just looking for aerial stats in our league to see how we stack up, and it does appear that our best in the air (Keogh/Johnson) aren't even top 50 in the league so far this season in average aerial duels won per game, averaging 4 per game. That does indeed suggest that it is an area in which we are weak in general. 

Tomori is better than most of our team, mind.

Staggeringly, Lukas Jutkiewicz of Brum and Josh Magennis of Bolton are both averaging TWELVE aerial duels won per game. Obviously, they're target men of route one football but it could be something we struggle with on Saturday.

Bolton will have to get the ball first  ?

15 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

the one thing we do look vulnerable on is crosses into the box, especially if there’s a big powerful number 9 waiting in the box. pretty sure the Reading & Brentford goals were from crosses?

Indont want to come across too critical and It doesn’t mean I’d rather have a big lump at the back to just head it away, but against teams who do have a big centre forward we will need to come up with away to stop the threat eg stop the crosses coming in...or score a shed load of goals first ?

Agreed - The Reading goal from memory was Wisdom caught out of position slightly/the midfield not covering and then Lowe being beaten by their big lad at the back post?

Think preventing the crosses will be key - But then the problem is we have full-backs given a licence to roam creating space in behind which leads to more crosses going in...

For me, the 3 man midfield should stop too much coming through the middle - I think even Man Utd were coming at us from the sides - So naturally we're going to see more chances created from the sides and more crosses converted - I think we just accept that goals are going to come from there - But the flip side is we'll see our full-backs more part of the attacking play too

Archived