Fikayo Tomori

jimbobram

45 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I was just looking for aerial stats in our league to see how we stack up, and it does appear that our best in the air (Keogh/Johnson) aren't even top 50 in the league so far this season in average aerial duels won per game, averaging 4 per game. That does indeed suggest that it is an area in which we are weak in general. 

Tomori is better than most of our team, mind.

Staggeringly, Lukas Jutkiewicz of Brum and Josh Magennis of Bolton are both averaging TWELVE aerial duels won per game. Obviously, they're target men of route one football but it could be something we struggle with on Saturday.

We are weak in that area and we probably will be all season so we will have to keep the ball and score plenty of goals!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Shang said:

Chelsea don't really bring their youth players through, they tend to sell them to fund bigger purchases. This includes Mount and Tomori. Mount might stick around if he impresses, don't think Barkley is impossible to replace (and I think he was only bought to fulfil the homegrown player requirement).

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd sell them with a buy back clause in there, think they had one for Ake (who was more highly rated than Tomori).

There was no buy back clause for when we sold Ake. We did end up selling him for 20m pounds though so that's how Bournemouth circumvented that option. On the other hand we sold Chalobah to Watford for 5m pounds(ridiculously low for his talent) so there was a buyback included there most probably.

8 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Every team has a weakness or two. I'd rather have our strengths though and let them opposition worry about us.

Bolton will have had to change their pants more times since Tuesday.

I actually think it’s teams like Bolton who we’ll struggle against. Our strengths are pressing high and playing it incisively through the lines. Our weakness is aerial battles. 

Rotherham, Millwall and Bolton all sit deep and hoof it - so there’s nothing to press, we can’t find the pockets upon winning the ball and they’re exploiting our weakness. 

We may well have to be a bit more patient, a bit more controlled, perhaps even giving Alex Pearce a start against these sorts of teams. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

We are weak in that area and we probably will be all season so we will have to keep the ball and score plenty of goals!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  Wasn't Davies #1 in the league for aerial duals won last season. Forsyth does well on that score too.

At this stage of the season I think the stats will be largely skewed by who we have played & their style.   But also, stats for this can be massively skewed by other defensive techniques.  For instance tackles, interceptions and keeping possession all reduce opportunity for balls into the box.

I am convinced that Rowett's style last season (to concede possession and hit team on the break) contributed to Davies outstanding stats. 

In Lampard's team he wouldn't have to defend so hard, but would need to 'play' a bit more.

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  Wasn't Davies #1 in the league for aerial duals won last season. Forsyth does well on that score too.

At this stage of the season I think the stats will be largely skewed by who we have played & their style.   But also, stats for this can be massively skewed by other defensive techniques.  For instance tackles, interceptions and keeping possession all reduce opportunity for balls into the box.

I am convinced that Rowett's style last season (to concede possession and hit team on the break) contributed to Davies outstanding stats. 

In Lampard's team he wouldn't have to defend so hard, but would need to 'play' a bit more.

Totally agree when Davies Huddlestone Forsyth are in the team we are better suited 

Monetarily it makes very little difference to Chelsea. They can afford to pay people just to train and play behind closed doors friendlies. 

You won't stop them stockpiling young players if they want, you'll just further restrict the opportunities young players get to break through.

Its more likely to make them get rid of  the over 24/dead end fringe players such as Miazga, Hector, Kane etc.

After that the likes of Tomori, Aina, Kalas, Omuero and other youngsters who are nowhere near proven to be the quality required by a title chasing team, which I think is their biggest type of loaned out player, who will be sold off with buy back clauses just in case.

Add to them the players that can't cement a place like Batshitcrazy, Rahman, Kenedy, Zouma and the nearly men. 

People like Baker and Hudson-Odoi who are tipped for big things will be at the front of the queue to be loaned out and continue their development.

The ones that suffer therefore are players like  Abraham, Palmer and Brown who are left in limbo, cut off or back step to become U23 players. 

Also suffering are the younger loanees who would be prime candidates for loans - Sterling, Chalobah, James, Dasilva etc, and of course add a batch of youngster a year of who emulate them but who can only play for the u18s because there's nowhere to progress to. 

Maybe the loans of foreign players should be restricted but loans of home nations players are essential to their development. Look at the number of the England squad this summer who had lower league experience during their formative years. 

Personally I'd be quite happy to become a bit of a feeder club. They can give us players at low fees and have a buy back clause. Ultimately I very much doubt they'd ever use it so can't see us losing out. 

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:15, Rample said:

Monetarily it makes very little difference to Chelsea. They can afford to pay people just to train and play behind closed doors friendlies. 

You won't stop them stockpiling young players if they want, you'll just further restrict the opportunities young players get to break through.

Its more likely to make them get rid of  the over 24/dead end fringe players such as Miazga, Hector, Kane etc.

After that the likes of Tomori, Aina, Kalas, Omuero and other youngsters who are nowhere near proven to be the quality required by a title chasing team, which I think is their biggest type of loaned out player, who will be sold off with buy back clauses just in case.

Add to them the players that can't cement a place like Batshitcrazy, Rahman, Kenedy, Zouma and the nearly men. 

People like Baker and Hudson-Odoi who are tipped for big things will be at the front of the queue to be loaned out and continue their development.

The ones that suffer therefore are players like  Abraham, Palmer and Brown who are left in limbo, cut off or back step to become U23 players. 

Also suffering are the younger loanees who would be prime candidates for loans - Sterling, Chalobah, James, Dasilva etc, and of course add a batch of youngster a year of who emulate them but who can only play for the u18s because there's nowhere to progress to. 

Maybe the loans of foreign players should be restricted but loans of home nations players are essential to their development. Look at the number of the England squad this summer who had lower league experience during their formative years. 

Personally I'd be quite happy to become a bit of a feeder club. They can give us players at low fees and have a buy back clause. Ultimately I very much doubt they'd ever use it so can't see us losing out. 

Hopefully it encourages them to make the most of their careers and realise that Chelsea money isn't everything and its time to go and make their name for another club permanently. Someone who deserves a lot of credit is that Jaydon Sancho who left man city to play for Dortmund. He is absolutely flying now. Talks of an England call up soon.

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Hopefully it encourages them to make the most of their careers and realise that Chelsea money isn't everything and its time to go and make their name for another club permanently. Someone who deserves a lot of credit is that Jaydon Sancho who left man city to play for Dortmund. He is absolutely flying now. Talks of an England call up soon.

Jadon Sancho was an exceptional move.

Dortmund have a huge academy and arguably he couldve been rotting in their youth if he wasnt 100% confident in his ability.

I reckon he will be signed by a big premier league team soon enough

6 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Dominic Solanke going to Liverpool when he had an offer from Leipzig annoyed me. 

I believe they also wanted Lookman but Everton wouldn't let him go. He's played 46 minutes this season.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Dominic Solanke going to Liverpool when he had an offer from Leipzig annoyed me. 

I believe they also wanted Lookman but Everton wouldn't let him go. He's played 46 minutes this season.

Lookman will go. He knows he's too good to be in everton ressies. For whatever reason they wont play him, will be a great signing for whoever gets him. 

Solanke is a player who needs to go out on loan tbh, he went to vitisse didnt really do much there. 

On 01/10/2018 at 13:00, Dale The Ram said:

Jadon Sancho was an exceptional move.

Dortmund have a huge academy and arguably he couldve been rotting in their youth if he wasnt 100% confident in his ability.

I reckon he will be signed by a big premier league team soon enough

He was never going to rot in their academy. They shelled out 10 million for him. Which for a german club aside of bayern, is big bucks.

Him, along with Pullisic and Bruun Larsen are top young talents. Pulisic is further on in his development (haveing been there 4 seasons) and will leave as soon as a big club pays the top dollar for him. Latest, is Juventus might be preparing a bid.
Its also worth noting that Favre is really pushing the youth development in the first team if international players like Kagawa and Götze arent in his plans.

As promising as Tomori is, I'm be glad to get Davies back. Too many of our conceded goals this season can be linked to Tomori's involvement. 

He is a brilliant creative defender, but makes far too many errors of judgement. These will reduce with experience, but at a price.

Christie made far fewer errors and very rarely did they result in goals, but he was hammered by our fans. Interesting to see where he is playing today. Is it league 1 where most of our fans felt he belonged?

Christie was, is and always will be poo.

Saying "look where he's playing now" is a bit silly, unless you're saying that a player playing at Premier League level is automatically a Premier League quality player, in which case step forward Jay McEveley, Dean Leacock, Tyrone Mears, Claude Davis & Eddie Lewis, you were clearly Premier class defenders all along, I just wish we'd appreciated you more while we had you.

Tomori is a great athlete and has a hook round tackle style like Viv Anderson all those years ago.

I think he will make a good full back.

In the past few games he seems very uncertain on the ball like he had lost all confidence.

Can the jeering of fans have got to him?

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

As promising as Tomori is, I'm be glad to get Davies back. Too many of our conceded goals this season can be linked to Tomori's involvement. 

He is a brilliant creative defender, but makes far too many errors of judgement. These will reduce with experience, but at a price.

Christie made far fewer errors and very rarely did they result in goals, but he was hammered by our fans. Interesting to see where he is playing today. Is it league 1 where most of our fans felt he belonged?

I liked Christie but Fulham have just conceded 5 at home!

Archived