v Rotherham United (A) Match Thread

rynny

Just prior to Lawrence's red card, he took one of the worst free kicks I've ever seen. Why the hell is he taking them from there? That was perfect for Waghorn and his let foot.

It seems like Lawrence has some sort of influence over the other Derby payers and I don't like it.

He's crap. 15-game ban please.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a frustrating and disappointing afternoon. 

Firstly, we weren't good enough going forward today. I had hoped to see Huddlestone in the team allowing Johnson and Mount more freedom, but he never really got going. Jozefoon and Lawrence didn’t do enough with the ball when they got it, and both Waghorn and Marriott struggled against the excellent Ajayi. Can't believe Rotherham didn't pick him as their MOTM.  

Secondly the refereeing was awful in both halves. Peter Bankes had shown 25 yellow cards in just 4 matches before today (he also refereed us against Leeds) which suggests to me he loses control of games. He was unfortunately never in control today and was already giving some really strange decisions first half. I don't mind a picky ref if it's even but it certainly wasn't today. Tomori, in particular, was being completely manhandled by their centre forward and never got anything whereas he was giving Rotherham free kicks for next to nothing.

I have no problem with the sending off of Lawrence but the referee's behaviour afterwards was just bizarre. He clearly didn't give the penalty at first and seemed nearer to the incident than his linesman but changed his mind. His bookings of Mount and Johnson were verging on ridiculous. And I thought there was a clear handball for us, which he was not interested in. So, just 8 bookings and a sending off today (if you don't count Lampard.) How many chances does a ref get to prove himself before he is deemed completely incompetent?  

Any positives to take from today's game? I thought our defence held up well against a very physical and direct forward line. Bogle continues to impress and the other defenders were all fine. Johnson got stuck in without giving any silly fouls away. Marriott looks sharper than he did before the break, and Bennett was a threat, if just missing the final touch. His interplay with Bogle is lovely to watch at times. Carson - does his job and makes a couple of vital saves. Mount is just class but he needs another forward to get on his wavelength for everything to slot into place for him.

What were some of our so-called fans on today? Ripping out seats and throwing them on the pitch. Who do they think they are - Chelsea? I hope they catch them and throw the book (rather than bits of pink plastic) at them! 

I am pleased we've got another game on Tuesday - a chance to make amends both on and off the pitch.

17 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just prior to Lawrence's red card, he took one of the worst free kicks I've ever seen. Why the hell is he taking them from there? That was perfect for Waghorn and his let foot.

It seems like Lawrence has some sort of influence over the other Derby payers and I don't like it.

He's crap. 15-game ban please.

If you’re calling for one of our own players, even if I know it’s in jest..... for a 15 game ban, then it says a lot about how far you’ve fallen in your opinions. You’re a btec Adrian Durham 

I think Angieram sums it up very well. We weren't good after an international break - disjointed and not fluent in the first half, better in the second and better still after TL got sent off. I thought the reaction to that was excellent and that overall we deserved a point.

The referee was poor generally. The TL decision was, ironically, one that he probably got right but he missed all kinds of fouls, missed a handball in the area and should have sent off their defender for two yellows in the FL incident, but bottled it. And he missed the penalty which the lino gave when he had no clear view - the penalty was for two Derby players sandwiching their forward and there's no way the lino could see that from the angle he was looking. The ref had the correct angle and gave nothing.

Bogle was good, so too Marriot when he came on and Mount.  Bennet nearly got through but got the ball under his feet. Fozzy was generally steady and up in attack a lot though his crossing needs some more work. Flojo was quiet without much service and so too Waghorn

Rotherham's home record is excellent over last season and again this, but we need to cope with that if we're to prosper in tougher games to come.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Secondly the refereeing was awful in both halves. Peter Bankes had shown 25 yellow cards in just 4 matches before today (he also refereed us against Leeds) which suggests to me he loses control of games. He was unfortunately never in control today and was already giving some really strange decisions first half. I don't mind a picky ref if it's even but it certainly wasn't today. Tomori, in particular, was being completely manhandled by their centre forward and never got anything whereas he was giving Rotherham free kicks for next to nothing.

Thanks for the full report. On this point I'm amazed we can be allocated the same ref twice in seven league games this season. In the Leeds game they came to bully us with lots of nasty stuff and we never had any protection. And another thing that annoyed me was how their players stood in front of freekicks with impunity all match and he did nothing. He booked two of their players in injury time, and I thought at the time the only reason was so the overall stats didn't look too bad and give a pretence of neutrality, having booked four of ours earlier in the match when it mattered. I came away with the view he really hates us. Sounds as though I'd have had that reinforced if I'd seen today's game.

Of course I don't actually believe that he hates us; he just gives a good impression of that because he's absolutely terrible at his job and incapable of controlling a physical football match, so takes the easy way out by siding with the very physical teams. Hence, as Frank said, he could not wait to pull out a red card to send the manager off, probably because he couldn't honestly look Frank in the eye. Well done to Keogh for keeping the players away at the end.

These poor decisions have implications that run into hundreds of millions of pounds. It's very poor that there are no repercussions for such officiating.

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

If you’re calling for one of our own players, even if I know it’s in jest..... for a 15 game ban, then it says a lot about how far you’ve fallen in your opinions. You’re a btec Adrian Durham 

I never understand BTEC bashing, they’re sick

I got A-Levels at sixth form without really having to do anything for two years ?

36 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’m calling for him to be dropped indefinitely. We’re a better team without him.

It’s not his lack of ability which bothers me so much, it’s his arrogance and self-belief that he’s a star player. It seems he is making no effort whatsoever to change his style of play.

It’s the same crap over and over. Head down, don’t pass, ballhog, use teammates as decoys to try and grab the glory and now he’s added another. Taking freekicks from positions when it’s obvious a teammate has a better chance of scoring.

He didn’t deserve to come back into the XI. And he ultimately cost us the game.

There are several front three combos we can go with. Any of them including Lawrence as a first-teamer should be at least fourth in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Firstly, we weren't good enough going forward today. I had hoped to see Huddlestone in the team allowing Johnson and Mount more freedom, but he never really got going. Jozefoon and Lawrence didn’t do enough with the ball when they got it, and both Waghorn and Marriott struggled against the excellent Ajayi. Can't believe Rotherham didn't pick him as their MOTM.  

I have no problem with the sending off of Lawrence but the referee's behaviour afterwards was just bizarre. He clearly didn't give the penalty at first and seemed nearer to the incident than his linesman but changed his mind. His bookings of Mount and Johnson were verging on ridiculous. And I thought there was a clear handball for us, which he was not interested in. So, just 8 bookings and a sending off today (if you don't count Lampard.) How many chances does a ref get to prove himself before he is deemed completely incompetent?  

Any positives to take from today's game? I thought our defence held up well against a very physical and direct forward line. Bogle continues to impress and the other defenders were all fine. Johnson got stuck in without giving any silly fouls away. Marriott looks sharper than he did before the break, and Bennett was a threat, if just missing the final touch. His interplay with Bogle is lovely to watch at times. Carson - does his job and makes a couple of vital saves. Mount is just class but he needs another forward to get on his wavelength for everything to slot into place for him.

What were some of our so-called fans on today? Ripping out seats and throwing them on the pitch. Who do they think they are - Chelsea? I hope they catch them and throw the book (rather than bits of pink plastic) at them! 

I am pleased we've got another game on Tuesday - a chance to make amends both on and off the pitch.

As always, the voice of sense and sensibility. Agree with every word. 

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m calling for him to be dropped indefinitely. We’re a better team without him.

It’s not his lack of ability which bothers me so much, it’s his arrogance and self-belief that he’s a star player. It seems he is making no effort whatsoever to change his style of play.

It’s the same crap over and over. Head down, don’t pass, ballhog, use teammates as decoys to try and grab the glory and now he’s added another. Taking freekicks from positions when it’s obvious a teammate has a better chance of scoring.

He didn’t deserve to come back into the XI. And he ultimately cost us the game.

There are several front three combos we can go with. Any of them including Lawrence as a first-teamer should be at least fourth in the pecking order.

Dropped indefinitely.Sounds like you think you know him personally talking about his arrogance and self belief.This is the biggest joke I’ve read on this forum and there’s plenty of Billy bull to read.Well done for smashing it out the Park.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Interesting.... wasn’t there and was waiting for someone to comment, as I’ve been thinking all second half, how much did Tom playing change us?

Curious did he slow us down? Did we lose momentum with him there? Others said earlier he had 3 around him. If true where was the space.

Quite l a few comments on team being announced that this was our perfect starting line up, I’m wondering if Tom needs a Bryson for energy around him.

Just asking and wondering if he changed the balance of the team too much? Seemed we had more joy when Marriott was on running behind.

Lot of questions as I wasn’t there but did Tom change us too much?

For me he slowed it down, tidy passing and all that what you expect from him but didn’t get stuck in like johnson did, we missed Bryson today 

Archived