v Rotherham United (A) Match Thread

rynny

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*highlights only*

Carson kept us in the game with some top saves.

Mount looked to be the driving force behind most of our good play. If we are basing the given penalty, he should have had one for the handful of shirt the Rotherham player had.

Penalty was soft as grease.

In this day and age, definitely a red for Lawrence. Sheer naievety from Lampard, go that far from the technical area and you're asking for trouble - especially when you know the ref is being card happy. Another day, another ref, he may have gotten away with a yellow.

I went looking for the rules on manager bookings/sendings off, couldn't find anything. Be interested to know what the exact rules are...

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

*highlights only*

Carson kept us in the game with some top saves.

Mount looked to be the driving force behind most of our good play. If we are basing the given penalty, he should have had one for the handful of shirt the Rotherham player had.

Penalty was soft as grease.

In this day and age, definitely a red for Lawrence. Sheer naievety from Lampard, go that far from the technical area and you're asking for trouble - especially when you know the ref is being card happy. Another day, another ref, he may have gotten away with a yellow.

I went looking for the rules on manager bookings/sendings off, couldn't find anything. Be interested to know what the exact rules are...

This was the best i could find... http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jul/31/red-yellow-cards-technical-area-2018-19

My interpretation is that you receive a warning (yellow card) for irresponsible behaviour. As Lampard received a straight red for his behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised to see us appeal the decision.

The lack of consistency regarding leaving the technical area could also be highlighted, where staff from both teams left them during the Lawrence incident and other stages of the game, where no-one was penalised.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This was the best i could find... http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jul/31/red-yellow-cards-technical-area-2018-19

My interpretation is that you receive a warning (yellow card) for irresponsible behaviour. As Lampard received a straight red for his behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised to see us appeal the decision.

The lack of consistency regarding leaving the technical area could also be highlighted, where staff from both teams left them during the Lawrence incident and other stages of the game, where no-one was penalised.

Agreed, unless what Frank did was a serious enough infringement of one of those that it warranted a red  - to me if 16 yellow card offences over a season are worth an improper conduct charge, that would suggest whatever Frank was done was pretty severe!

If these are the written rules as recieved by managers, I'd argue they are poorly written - it doesn't say what could possibly constitutes a straight red card offence

Just caught up with this. How people can think Lawrence didn't deserve a red card is beyond me. It was a dreadful challenge - can't even call it a tackle - well after the ball had gone. The way he charges in, the red mist has clearly some down and his only intent there can be to whack the opposition player. If that had been on a Derby player, not one single person on here would have thought a yellow acceptable.

Sticking my ref's hat on, there are three types of foul: careless (foul, no further action), reckless (foul and yellow card) and using excessive force (foul and red card). This was definitely in the latter category if only because the ball is so far away he can't possibly claim to be going for it.

The peno, I can see why the linesman has given it. Forsyth has two hands on the back of the player the ball is heading towards and pushes. It's a foul. It's soft, definitely, and needless, but technically a foul and right in front of the lino too. If the officials are in a mood to penalise us then he's bound to give it; it was a stupid thing by Forsyth to do. 

As for Lampard, he must by then have known what to expect. He can't really compare it to how far the Rotherham bench came out of their area after the Lawrence tackle - Lamps went miles out in comparison. Naive on his part, esp given everything else that was happening. 

The highlights on Rams TV don't show any penalty appeals by us so can't comment.

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Just caught up with this. How people can think Lawrence didn't deserve a red card is beyond me. It was a dreadful challenge - can't even call it a tackle - well after the ball had gone. The way he charges in, the red mist has clearly some down and his only intent there can be to whack the opposition player. If that had been on a Derby player, not one single person on here would have thought a yellow acceptable.

Sticking my ref's hat on, there are three types of foul: careless (foul, no further action), reckless (foul and yellow card) and using excessive force (foul and red card). This was definitely in the latter category if only because the ball is so far away he can't possibly claim to be going for it.

The peno, I can see why the linesman has given it. Forsyth has two hands on the back of the player the ball is heading towards and pushes. It's a foul. It's soft, definitely, and needless, but technically a foul and right in front of the lino too. If the officials are in a mood to penalise us then he's bound to give it; it was a stupid thing by Forsyth to do. 

As for Lampard, he must by then have known what to expect. He can't really compare it to how far the Rotherham bench came out of their area after the Lawrence tackle - Lamps went miles out in comparison. Naive on his part, esp given everything else that was happening. 

The highlights on Rams TV don't show any penalty appeals by us so can't comment.

Excellent observations, Vulcan. Thank you.

Re the peno, aActually, the push came from Forsyth falling or stumbling forwards, but that doesn't excuse him. Instead it highlights the stupidity of the modern-day obsession with having your hand or arm on the other player virtually at any given moment. There was no need for his hands to be in contact with the other player, so why put them there? 

Re the lack of highlights of a Derby penalty appeal - they ALWAYS go missing in highlight shows, so no surprise there.

Archived