Hull (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

Derby blood

Just looked at the highlights, and the off side goal didn't look offside. I initially thought it was for the pass in from the wing, but on freeze frame the receiver was clearly behind the ball and the Hull defender trying to block the cross. For the cut back, the receiver was clearly behind the ball.

Was someone else offside out of the frame?

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Cracking performance from the lads tonight. We're looking more and more like the team Frank promised us with every outing. JoFlo and Holmes are the latest to put markers down and Waggy confirmed the promise already shown with a sweetly taken goal. JoFlo's was a thing of beauty though! Save for the CDM role, we also look to have some serious strength in depth which can only help across a 50 game season. As for the wingers, I'd agree that Tom can be frustrating but the growing competition for starting places and Franks and Jody's tutelage can hopefully get him playing the way many think he can. I'd say the future looks pretty bright.

Sounds near perfect apart from maybe a a goal for Marriott would have put the icing on the cake. 4-0 doesn't look like it was flattering at all.hopefully we will still have plenty in the tank for Saturday when it really matters. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

9 great chances on the highlights

️waghorn goal,️ jozefzoon goal,️ marriott one on one,️ mount volley, ️marriott diving header, ️jozefzoon goal, ️jozefzoon, ️waghorn / holmes offside goal, ️mount goal

Remember when we only had two shots in the entire match? ????

yep but we won 2-0 though!  Easy to forget that for a long time the results papered over the cracks.  I am really gaining some confidence that what we have now is entertaining and capable.  Thank goodness for that

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

They bloody weren't for most the season. I thought he'd won the world cup with Birmingham the way he was backed. 

The second paragraph I agree. I will love the guy if he learns when and where to use his ability. When he plays for the team. 

But so far he hasn't. He's been selfish and the team has suffered for it. I don't get how that's not fair to say. Jozefzoon looks better. Bennett has looked slightly better. Waghorn has looked as good and has at least done the dirty work when things haven't gone his way. Same with Nugent. Even Mount has had long periods without a touch but as soon as he gets it he's quickly gone for what you can agree is a great option. 

Nah his football was questioned heavily from the beginning but the excellent results pacified most because I think a lot assumed the performances would follow the results. 

He will come good in his system. We’re 4/5 games into a season where he isn’t the only outlet for the ball. The guys got the talent. 

If it was me, I’d be starting flojo and Lawrence but it wouldn’t fuss me if either of Bennett or Holmes started instead. 

1 hour ago, ck- said:

Just looked at the highlights, and the off side goal didn't look offside. I initially thought it was for the pass in from the wing, but on freeze frame the receiver was clearly behind the ball and the Hull defender trying to block the cross. For the cut back, the receiver was clearly behind the ball.

Was someone else offside out of the frame?

We didn’t think it was offside at the time. Haven't seen the highlights yet.

8 hours ago, SKRam said:

SSN reporters said there was a very healthy showing of Rams Angie, maybe more than you thought?! 

I would say about 650 of us - which is less than Oldham so relatively small for us. 

Hull made the mistake of packing us in to a very narrow section of the ground though, which increased our collective volume considerably. We sounded like we were more! I hope they do the same on Saturday.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I would say about 650 of us - which is less than Oldham so relatively small for us. 

Hull made the mistake of packing us in to a very narrow section of the ground though, which increased our collective volume considerably. We sounded like we were more! I hope they do the same on Saturday.

The way radio derby were going on i thought there were only 650 in the whole ground. They even implied there were as many derby fans as hull fans - if not more.

What a difference a week can make in football! 

10 days ago I left Millwall slightly wondering if FL had bitten off more than he could chew and if our players were good enough to implement the style he wanted.

Fast forward to last night and I'm wondering why I was so bloody quick jumping the gun.

Ok I know then opposition were poor and didn't really press us but last night we just looked so much more comfortable with what we were trying to do. And the slow tippy tippy football at the back was replaced by fast flowing attacking football, a real joy to watch at times.

My player ratings for what they are worth:-

Roos 8 - had very little to do but kept his concentration and made 2 good saves just before half time. Good distribution. Would have give him an extra mark had he caught a cross instead of opting to punch when under no pressure.

Wisdom 7 - Started slowly and picked up a yellow card following a heavy touch. Grew into the game and linked very well with the attacking players in the second half and put a couple of decent crosses in himself.

Tomori 7 - An absolute beast at times, not afraid to bring the ball out starting attacks. Still a few sloppy passes and got bullied a couple of times leading to chances for Hull, however that was against Dicko who gave Keogh/Davies the runaround last time I visited Hull.

Keogh 8 - Back to his magnificent best last night. None of the panicking that we saw in the opening matches of the season. 2 great challenges on Dicko after he had slipped Tomori and was through on goal.

Malone 8 - This guy looks good. Calm and oozes confidence on the ball. Always looking to support the attack and gets some decent crosses in. Left back position should definitely give FL his biggest headache following Fozzys return to form.

Huddlestone 7 - Is this what we have been missing? In my opinion yes. Ok looked a bit rusty on occasions but his calmness and vision helped us get playing football in the right areas of the pitch much quicker than in recent weeks.

Johnson 7 - I've had huge reservations about this guy based on his poor passing. But in the last 3 games he has really grown on me and made me wonder if he could become vital to this team. Sure there were still some of his customary sloppy passes but they were and so mixed in with some defence splitting balls.

Jozefzoon 9 - Excellent display. Speed, skill and end product. Unlike our other wingers in recent years, also seems to have the intelligence to know when to run with the ball and when to pass. Has to start on Saturday on the back of that performance. 

Mount 9 - Class personified. Intelligence, vision, assists, goals. This lad can take this division by storm. I know a few posters have taken offence about criticism of his contribution so far but I actally tend to agree that games have passed him by. Need to get him performing like this every match.

Waghorn 8 - Good movement, held the ball up well, created chances for others and the goal was delightful. Heard someone at the ground saying his mum had died on Monday,  not sure if true but, if so, made his performance even more remarkable.

Marriott 6 - I know a lot may find the mark harsh based on his work rate. Ram tirelessly but made some bad decisions and missed two very good chances. You can tell he is frustrated by not scoring yet, and maybe by not getting much game time, and it is affecting him. Needs a goal to settle him down, sure it will come soon

Subs:

Lowe 7 - Got forward well and seemed to link well with Holmes. 

Holmes 8 - Liked the look of him. Tricky and fast. 2 assists and probably should have scored 1 himself 

Bird 6 - No time to make any real impact on the game

3 hours ago, AdamRam said:

My money is that Lawrence is in the team on Saturday, we are blessed and have good options for wingers this season it appears, frank knows that scoring goals is good for the team even if others don’t realise that is the object of the game ?

Is wasting chances good for the team?

Why, when anyone says anything negative about Lawrence is the answer always some mockery poo. 

Yeah, we are all so stupid that we didn't realise goals won games. And there is 100% no possibility that Derby would score more goals without him ball hogging and running into dead ends.

It's funny, if Derby play abysmal and win do you think nobody should care about the performance. If Derby give away 5 open goals would you shrug your shoulders and say only the result matters? No, you'd think this guy or that guy looks out of form. The team looks better when this happens or that happens. You wouldn't want a repeat performance because sooner or later bad performances equals bad results. 

So while Lawrence playing well for 30 seconds might please you, can you not see how the other 93 and a half minutes of ignoring teammates in wide open areas and goal scoring positions might possibly have a negative effect on the result. Or is our team just a supporting cast for Tom Lawrence and his quest to score goals whatever the result

You see nobody jumped on the thread to hammer Lawrence. But you mention him in anything less than a positive light and you're "scapegoating" him. Or being an "expert" or ignoring that he scored 2 free kicks and a good header tbf 

That's where we come on to explain our point and it looks like we have a vendetta. 

It's simply not true. He could be like Jordon Ibe was. He learned he had teammates. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The way radio derby were going on i thought there were only 650 in the whole ground. They even implied there were as many derby fans as hull fans - if not more.

About 4,000 I'd guess? Only two stands open and the one opposite us was quite sparsely populated.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What a difference a week can make in football! 

10 days ago I left Millwall slightly wondering if FL had bitten off more than he could chew and if our players were good enough to implement the style he wanted.

Fast forward to last night and I'm wondering why I was so bloody quick jumping the gun.

Ok I know then opposition were poor and didn't really press us but last night we just looked so much more comfortable with what we were trying to do. And the slow tippy tippy football at the back was replaced by fast flowing attacking football, a real joy to watch at times.

My player ratings for what they are worth:-

Roos 8 - had very little to do but kept his concentration and made 2 good saves just before half time. Good distribution. Would have give him an extra mark had he caught a cross instead of opting to punch when under no pressure.

Wisdom 7 - Started slowly and picked up a yellow card following a heavy touch. Grew into the game and linked very well with the attacking players in the second half and put a couple of decent crosses in himself.

Tomori 7 - An absolute beast at times, not afraid to bring the ball out starting attacks. Still a few sloppy passes and got bullied a couple of times leading to chances for Hull, however that was against Dicko who gave Keogh/Davies the runaround last time I visited Hull.

Keogh 8 - Back to his magnificent best last night. None of the panicking that we saw in the opening matches of the season. 2 great challenges on Dicko after he had slipped Tomori and was through on goal.

Malone 8 - This guy looks good. Calm and oozes confidence on the ball. Always looking to support the attack and gets some decent crosses in. Left back position should definitely give FL his biggest headache following Fozzys return to form.

Huddlestone 7 - Is this what we have been missing? In my opinion yes. Ok looked a bit rusty on occasions but his calmness and vision helped us get playing football in the right areas of the pitch much quicker than in recent weeks.

Johnson 7 - I've had huge reservations about this guy based on his poor passing. But in the last 3 games he has really grown on me and made me wonder if he could become vital to this team. Sure there were still some of his customary sloppy passes but they were and so mixed in with some defence splitting balls.

Jozefzoon 9 - Excellent display. Speed, skill and end product. Unlike our other wingers in recent years, also seems to have the intelligence to know when to run with the ball and when to pass. Has to start on Saturday on the back of that performance. 

Mount 9 - Class personified. Intelligence, vision, assists, goals. This lad can take this division by storm. I know a few posters have taken offence about criticism of his contribution so far but I actally tend to agree that games have passed him by. Need to get him performing like this every match.

Waghorn 8 - Good movement, held the ball up well, created chances for others and the goal was delightful. Heard someone at the ground saying his mum had died on Monday,  not sure if true but, if so, made his performance even more remarkable.

Marriott 6 - I know a lot may find the mark harsh based on his work rate. Ram tirelessly but made some bad decisions and missed two very good chances. You can tell he is frustrated by not scoring yet, and maybe by not getting much game time, and it is affecting him. Needs a goal to settle him down, sure it will come soon

Subs:

Lowe 7 - Got forward well and seemed to link well with Holmes. 

Holmes 8 - Liked the look of him. Tricky and fast. 2 assists and probably should have scored 1 himself 

Bird 6 - No time to make any real impact on the game

Great read and i just love how you've changed that one word.

14 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

I also find it interesting that Lampard seemingly prefers Forsyth as a back up cb option to Pearce. Another one free to move. God we have so much dead weight 

I think that we have very little dead weight. We have too many players, but so many out of contract at end of season. Frank is quite clearly getting more from the players. They are improving because they know what is expected as Florian said. We are heading towards an embarrassment of riches. Wow do they look fitter than last season. Nowhere to hide because training is so intense. Every player must fight for their place. If you do not play well then you will be replaced. We have two top ten teams now. Bizarre really. How Frank and Jody have got so many Young players playing so well is a mystery after such crap last year. If they sign a player it is probably because they know  better than us. Any young player will want to come here at Xmas. Are we to assume that Frank has more or less broken even on transfers? Does anyone care if he hasn't. COYR?

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

It's a bit like when some of us were getting slated last year for moaning about Rowett. Now people are allowed to say those things. 12 months ago you were an "expert on football manager" if you questioned anything he did. Now look, everyone knows better. 

This is the thing what pisses me off big time. I guess quite a few would be happy to have three amigos as owners, Pearson and Rowett taking the team forward.

Support without thinking is not recommended, not in football or generally in life.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

It was his Grandma I believe, he posted about her passing yesterday morning on Instagram I think. And he dedicated his goal last night to her

f1a5b6830cddaf021245b950bbe38c1a.png

Jozefzoon looks like the player I've been wanting us to sign since Mac. A proper winger, instead of falling for the Johnny Russell (take a second striker and stick them out wide) Syndrome.

Waghorn had a big hand in all of the goals last night, and a wonderful finish to get us going. Think I'd be starting him in place of Lawrence, if he's fit enough.

Marriott needs a scruffy, shinner/shoulder goal. He gets in all the right positions, just can't apply the finish. It'll come.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

Is wasting chances good for the team?

Why, when anyone says anything negative about Lawrence is the answer always some mockery poo. 

Yeah, we are all so stupid that we didn't realise goals won games. And there is 100% no possibility that Derby would score more goals without him ball hogging and running into dead ends.

I think Lawrence is a good player and has looked good this season - In the Preston and Ipswich games where they marked ALL our creative players I thought him and Mount linked up quite well

It would be slightly daft dropping our current top scorer - But we'll see what Lampard does - It's lovely having the wealth of options that Lawrence, FloJo, Bennett and Waghorn give us

Would you admit if Lampard keeps picking Lawrence that maybe he's adding more than you can see?

5 hours ago, angieram said:

About 4,000 I'd guess? Only two stands open and the one opposite us was quite sparsely populated.

4,666 is the released attendance.

So if Derby's was about 650 then that would make the 4k estimate pretty accurate. But spread fairly thinly around the stands, in fairness to Radio Derby's exaggeration.

Their lowest ever attendance at that stadium.

Archived