Hull (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

Derby blood

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lawrence doesn’t deserve a spot for scoring two freekicks, both of which were goalkeeper errors.

He’s been our worst player in general play this season. In a possession-based team, with midfielders pushing up and attacking fullbacks going on the overlap, he’s an utter liability as he gives the ball away far too cheaply.

Here he is banging his anti Lawrence drum ? take no notice that goal keepers on Twitter have said his freekicks were horrible to try and save because of the movement, Bris knows best haha. Class.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, sage said:

SSN didn't show the 4th goal, what was it like? 

16 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Not seen it, but Holmes played Mount in, he rounded the keeper and passed it into an empty net

Holmes played a through ball between fullback and centre back, mason made a brilliant run to beat the offside trap and finished it brilliantly. Rounding the keeper, waiting for the defender to go down before just side footing it in.  

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but so much can change. A new manager could come along who seduces the club and the blow £60m on a central attacking player. 

It’s not just Mourinho. I can’t think of any regular Academy graduates in the Ambramovich era? Probably forgetting someone.

Andreas Christensen comes to mind straight away but thats about it recently. Their youth system is a money-making system (and a very good business model purely based on finances). I'm sure Mount will be a regular at a top club in the coming years but definitely wouldnt bank on it being chelsea. 

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lawrence doesn’t deserve a spot for scoring two freekicks, both of which were goalkeeper errors.

He’s been our worst player in general play this season. In a possession-based team, with midfielders pushing up and attacking fullbacks going on the overlap, he’s an utter liability as he gives the ball away far too cheaply.

dribbledribbledribble ducks under headers, jumps out of challenges and uses wide open team mates as decoys for his own glory.

Probably a good player in there, we found one in Ibe eventually but I can't see how 3 goals make up for all the bad play that's made us a weaker team.  

Everyone picks him for their starting 11 though. Why?

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Here he is banging his anti Lawrence drum ? take no notice that goal keepers on Twitter have said his freekicks were horrible to try and save because of the movement, Bris knows best haha. Class.

Glad I'm not the only person to be sick of his tripe.

Just now, Alpha said:

dribbledribbledribble ducks under headers, jumps out of challenges and uses wide open team mates as decoys for his own glory.

Probably a good player in there, we found one in Ibe eventually but I can't see how 3 goals make up for all the bad play that's made us a weaker team.  

I bet you loved Tito Villa.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Dunno ask Frank?? 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Mount is the new Darren Bent.

Contributes nothing to this team but goals.

I think Mason Mount is way better than darren bent ever was.

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

But he's right. He loses the ball way too often and gets us caught coming forward. The amount of opportunities that get wasted because he doesn't pass. How many goals are we losing out on there? All he does is run into trouble. He ducks out of headers and is dodges 50/50's. He definitely does. 

Then he scores 3 free kicks and that's proof he's played well. 

He sent Leeds and Reading on loads of attacks. Loads. He put his teammates in trouble because he's greedy and selfish. Yes he scored a superb header but it doesn't work well for Derby if we waste loads of attacks and keep getting caught on the counter so that Lawrence can score 10 goals.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but so much can change. A new manager could come along who seduces the club and the blow £60m on a central attacking player. 

It’s not just Mourinho. I can’t think of any regular Academy graduates in the Ambramovich era? Probably forgetting someone.

Courtois and Christensen are the only ones to really make it through but Courtois was on loan for 3 years when he was 18. I can definitely see Chelsea loaning Mount back to Derby next season if Derby do get promoted - in fact I think if Derby gets promoted there's a 75 percent chance of him returning. The natural progression for Chelsea academy graduates seems to be they work their way up on their loans until they have a great season in a top 5 league at which point they're considered for recall to the squad. If they don't get many minutes with the squad on the recall season, they're sold on the players' requests(See Chalobah, Ake, Solanke, Bertrand, Van Aanholt, etc.). Mount would fit into the current system very well but we don't know whether Sarri will be here at the end of this season let alone by the end of next season. It'd be interesting to see if Loftus Cheek wants to leave on a permanent at the end of the season though.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ignored your similar comments after Saturday but now again ... don't know what your're actually seeing.

Still, Frank's estimation is clearly very different.

I shook my head when Keith Andrews said that Lawrence needs to be more confident and have more shots on goal. That’s the last thing that needs to happen. I don’t know his personality but on the pitch he does come across as a Cristiano Ronaldo wannabe but in a bad way. He reminds of the Ronaldo that first joined Man Utd. Pointless dribbling, shooting at silly angles, poor passing. I hope that Morris and Lamps can iron out the deficiencies from his game because one positive is that he can score even when he’s not playing well.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

And his quality on the ball, and his work rate and determination, and his quality set piece delivery, and the way he creates space for others, and the way he battles against stronger, bigger midfielders and still gets the ball, and the way he leads the high press. Come on man, if you genuinely believe he contributes nothing besides goals, then my god.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Dunno ask Frank?? 

He'll see it if Lawrence doesn't improve massively.

Rowett needed him because of his ability to dribble for miles on his own. Suited Rowett's counter attacking style. 

It's a bit like when some of us were getting slated last year for moaning about Rowett. Now people are allowed to say those things. 12 months ago you were an "expert on football manager" if you questioned anything he did. Now look, everyone knows better. 

Archived