Hull (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

Derby blood

3 minutes ago, cloughie said:

Still some very sloppy passing at the back. This was a full 2nd team for hull, so it won't be as easy on Saturday.  

Hudds took a long time to get going. Doesnt look fit but has the class

Dickhu could easily ave scored one, but we coasted for most of the 2nd half until Sherlock came on.

Awful crowd. Probably 3-4000.

We'll done the rams support !!

Gate was 4,666. I believe that’s the lowest ever for a competitive game at the KCOM 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He'll see it if Lawrence doesn't improve massively.

Rowett needed him because of his ability to dribble for miles on his own. Suited Rowett's counter attacking style. 

It's a bit like when some of us were getting slated last year for moaning about Rowett. Now people are allowed to say those things. 12 months ago you were an "expert on football manager" if you questioned anything he did. Now look, everyone knows better. 

Give it a rest haha most people were slating Rowett last season. Rightly so it was craaap. 

Lawrence just needs to realise that he’s no longer the only out ball now and he’ll be fine this season. 

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For what it’s worth, I always liked Darren Bent.

I like Mason too. I never said he was a bad player.

But let’s not pretend he’s had anywhere near the influence we were hoping for.

So far, he’s been a passenger in most games I’ve seen.

But he wouldn’t be the first quality player to go missing in our midfield.

There's a difference between 'contributes nothing' and hasn't had the influence we were hoping for. The only game I think you could argue that he was a passenger was Leeds, but even then he's been arguably the most hardworking player on the pitch. I'd say he never goes missing, even against leeds he was still carrying the ball and looking to make things happen. He never shies away from the ball, he's got lovely technique, carries the ball well, delivers the ball from set pieces consistently at a high standard. Just watch the goal tonight, quality run and excellent composure, he is a classy footballer. He hasn't been at his total best so far probably i agree, but to say he contributes nothing else is silly, and when he is at his total best he will be scary

2 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

No idea how this thread has become an argument about Tom Lawrence, who didn’t play tonight. Back on topic, if I may, Sky Sports’ match report has credited the third goal to Jozefzoon. 

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Wow

Juat won 2-0, 2-0, 4-0 and people still looking for scapegoats to slag off.

its a team game and we win or lose as a team. Frank picks that team on merit.

bloody hell just give it a rest FFS!!

No, it was more of a point that Jozefzoon, Waghorn and Bennett look to be offering more to the team than Lawrence. 

You might be fed up of people looking for negatives but what else is boring is trying to discuss the strengths and weakness of the players on this discussion board only to be told that you're looking for a "scapegoat" (as if anyone has actually blamed Lawrence for any result? Take a look at the Millwall thread. Keogh is the only one to get blamed for stuff that's been nothing to do with him)

Somebody mentioned our wide options and said Lawrence is in form or something. Someone else said he's been poor. The discussion rolled from there. 

9 minutes ago, Gil said:

For me Mount, Carson & Huddlestone are the only guaranteed starters. None of those 3 have an equal or better replacement. There's too much quality & competition for everyone else in the squad.

Looks like complacency won't be a theme for this season.

Not even sure about Hudds being a certainty. Who'd have said Davies was not a certainty? He is not. ?

10 minutes ago, cloughie said:

Still some very sloppy passing at the back. This was a full 2nd team for hull, so it won't be as easy on Saturday.  

Hudds took a long time to get going. Doesnt look fit but has the class

Dickhu could easily ave scored one, but we coasted for most of the 2nd half until Sherlock came on.

Awful crowd. Probably 3-4000.

We'll done the rams support !!

So there was Sherlock and Holmes on the pitch at the same time........how damned fiendish.

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For what it’s worth, I always liked Darren Bent.

I like Mason too. I never said he was a bad player.

But let’s not pretend he’s had anywhere near the influence we were hoping for.

So far, he’s been a passenger in most games I’ve seen.

But he wouldn’t be the first quality player to go missing in our midfield.

A passenger? For real? After tonight as well?

Screenshot_20180828-224947.png

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Give it a rest haha most people were slating Rowett last season. Rightly so it was craaap. 

Lawrence just needs to realise that he’s no longer the only out ball now and he’ll be fine this season. 

They bloody weren't for most the season. I thought he'd won the world cup with Birmingham the way he was backed. 

The second paragraph I agree. I will love the guy if he learns when and where to use his ability. When he plays for the team. 

But so far he hasn't. He's been selfish and the team has suffered for it. I don't get how that's not fair to say. Jozefzoon looks better. Bennett has looked slightly better. Waghorn has looked as good and has at least done the dirty work when things haven't gone his way. Same with Nugent. Even Mount has had long periods without a touch but as soon as he gets it he's quickly gone for what you can agree is a great option. 

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But he's right. He loses the ball way too often and gets us caught coming forward. The amount of opportunities that get wasted because he doesn't pass. How many goals are we losing out on there? All he does is run into trouble. He ducks out of headers and is dodges 50/50's. He definitely does. 

Then he scores 3 free kicks and that's proof he's played well. 

He sent Leeds and Reading on loads of attacks. Loads. He put his teammates in trouble because he's greedy and selfish. Yes he scored a superb header but it doesn't work well for Derby if we waste loads of attacks and keep getting caught on the counter so that Lawrence can score 10 goals.

Tries harder than most players on the pitch, young enough to improve, him Mount and Nugent seem to be linking up well recently too with mount and Lawrence interchanging the CAM and LW roles. 

He works tirelessly up and down the wing defending and attacking - opposition are scared of him and foul him more than any other players Leeds game he was running at them couldn't win it fairly and fouled him - scores free kick same against Preston. 

As for ducking out of headers and challenges, he is never one to jump out of a tackle, in fact he seems to enjoy them, he was one of our most booked players last year due to this and he was the same for Ipswich the year before. 

Why don't you support a player that's doing well rather than play devils advocate and try to find fault in a player clearly doing well with renewed confidence. 

Thought to leave you with, if Lawrence doesn't win the freekick and then score it on Saturday - how's that last 5 minutes feeling... last minute equalizer maybe... Lawrence has contributed really well so far.

10 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

I tell you what, shut up about Lawrence, didn’t even play. To think I can on here for some insight about tonight’s game....

Sorry mate. Won't happen again.

Can you just let me know what it's ok to talk about? Cheers

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

They bloody weren't for most the season. I thought he'd won the world cup with Birmingham the way he was backed. 

The second paragraph I agree. I will love the guy if he learns when and where to use his ability. When he plays for the team. 

But so far he hasn't. He's been selfish and the team has suffered for it. I don't get how that's not fair to say. Jozefzoon looks better. Bennett has looked slightly better. Waghorn has looked as good and has at least done the dirty work when things haven't gone his way. Same with Nugent. Even Mount has had long periods without a touch but as soon as he gets it he's quickly gone for what you can agree is a great option. 

Thought he had his best team game at the weekend. There was one opportunity where he was striding forward into the area and he should have shot but he made the pass and played a team mate in.

maybe there’s hope yet eh!

Archived