Hull (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

Derby blood

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Mount is the new Darren Bent.

Contributes nothing to this team but goals.

Could you please stop the incessant flirting with Bris?  You're not even doing it right.  Schoolboy error thinking that you have to concentrate on someone who played tonight, Tom Lawrence is the scapegoat you're looking for.

All back and referencing my earlier post my lad loved it . His review of the game was that Jozefzoon is like Messi but not as good , I'm sure he'd take that. 

My thoughts for what it's worth .

Thought Waghorn was fantastic all game , real different option when played out wide too and didn't look out of position there.  Got to start Saturday for me . 

Nice to see Huddlestone back.

Marriott will score goals 

Holmes looks good.

Mounts unreal .

All the back 5 were top notch .

Johnson's pressing from midfield was really good .

Should all give Lampard a nice headache for Saturday. 

Great result tonight and looking forward to Saturday, but I think it will be a closer game if for no other reason than Hull will park the bus.

My prediction is for Lawrence to spend most of the afternoon sat on a deckchair in the Hull half, smoking a fat cigar and downing a few rum cocktails.  The only interruption will be when he gets up to stretch his legs has a quick saunter round, and spanks in a twenty five yarder to win the match.  Further discontent on the forum will follow as Butterfield is brought on with seven minutes to go, with the sole instruction from Frank, to act as Tom's valet*.

*Obviously Jacob will mix a cocktail incorrectly and serve Tom with a Mai Tai when he'd asked for a Mohito

Cracking performance from the lads tonight. We're looking more and more like the team Frank promised us with every outing. JoFlo and Holmes are the latest to put markers down and Waggy confirmed the promise already shown with a sweetly taken goal. JoFlo's was a thing of beauty though! Save for the CDM role, we also look to have some serious strength in depth which can only help across a 50 game season. As for the wingers, I'd agree that Tom can be frustrating but the growing competition for starting places and Franks and Jody's tutelage can hopefully get him playing the way many think he can. I'd say the future looks pretty bright.

To Hull and Back (part one!)

Home already - the traffic was kind. An excellent away day with our small in number but 100%ers backing the team - no moans or groans for the odd misplaced pass, just encouragement.

So, Hull made 9 changes, so what? We made about 8 and who's to say that wasn't our second team too?!  ? What strength in depth we have compared to the Hulls of this world.

I picked out Mount, Josefzoon and Johnson at half time but it feels a little unfair not to pay credit to the whole team. They swarmed all over Hull from the first whistle - a real team of hardworking bees who didn’t ever get complacent but kept going until the job was done. 

The biggest difference for me tonight from the league games is that Hull didn't get physical with Mount; consequently he had the freedom of the pitch to orchestrate the constant recycling of the ball into another attacking move. Well supported by a swashbuckling Bradley Johnson and a rusty but still vintage Huddlestone, the midfield was a pleasure to watch.

We played with such speed tonight - and I don't mean the head down run quick kind - but swift passing find your man and look to receive it back or cover. When we won corners or throw-ins they were taken before we got the first chorus of claps going. Sometimes the speed led to mistakes but much more often it was to attacking football of the highest quality - apart from the finishing! If that had been slightly better we could have had six or seven.

Josefzoon was superb too and Waghorn is getting better and starting to understand the others. I think Marriott needs a goal then he'll relax. Holmes gave a really impressive cameo when he came on. 

Two little moments summed up tonight for me - Malone lifting the ball high to beat his man and moving smoothly into the space he'd created and Huddlestone with a cheeky little back-heel to another player when he hadn't got enough time to turn (and we all know Tom has the turning time of the Queen Mary!) Keogh said after Saturday's game that what Lampard wants the players to do is express themselves, show their personalities - or words to that effect. Tonight they did just that. It was lovely to watch. 

I hope we can take the confidence that tonight will give us into the weekend's league performance. If so, I  think we will beat Hull's first team as well.

Must admit, I only watched the highlights but we looked to have created a huge amount of chances. I hope Marriott can get a goal soon to help calm him down, it will help his confidence a lot. Holmes looked like he had a really impressive performance for the 20 minutes he was on, it was a really good cross for Josefzoon. We seem to be slowly but surely improving game by game at the moment, which is really positive.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Missed tonight’s game.

It’s good news if he finally bossed a game for us.

Let’s hope it continues. And we don’t see a repeat of previous games.

He's not the type of player to boss a game and in fairness nor was Lampard  but he contributed in other ways and was pretty good at it but his contribution is different to other mids thats what makes it work......you wouldn't have 3 Kante's in a 3 man midfield would you ??? for example....... Mount is 19 years old and contributing well in his first season in the championship so give the lad a break and appreciate what he is doing!!!      stop talking nonsense .....

Some ridiculous I know more than you going on in this thread...... you’d have thought we got beat handsomely judging the bilge on here......

Or I’m I just losing it? 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

To Hull and Back (part one!)

Home already - the traffic was kind. An excellent away day with our small in number but 100%ers backing the team - no moans or groans for the odd misplaced pass, just encouragement.

So, Hull made 9 changes, so what? We made about 8 and who's to say that wasn't our second team too?!  ? What strength in depth we have compared to the Hulls of this world.

I picked out Mount, Josefzoon and Johnson at half time but it feels a little unfair not to pay credit to the whole team. They swarmed all over Hull from the first whistle - a real team of hardworking bees who didn’t ever get complacent but kept going until the job was done. 

The biggest difference for me tonight from the league games is that Hull didn't get physical with Mount; consequently he had the freedom of the pitch to orchestrate the constant recycling of the ball into another attacking move. Well supported by a swashbuckling Bradley Johnson and a rusty but still vintage Huddlestone, the midfield was a pleasure to watch.

We played with such speed tonight - and I don't mean the head down run quick kind - but swift passing find your man and look to receive it back or cover. When we won corners or throw-ins they were taken before we got the first chorus of claps going. Sometimes the speed led to mistakes but much more often it was to attacking football of the highest quality - apart from the finishing! If that had been slightly better we could have had six or seven.

Josefzoon was superb too and Waghorn is getting better and starting to understand the others. I think Marriott needs a goal then he'll relax. Holmes gave a really impressive cameo when he came on. 

Two little moments summed up tonight for me - Malone lifting the ball high to beat his man and moving smoothly into the space he'd created and Huddlestone with a cheeky little back-heel to another player when he hadn't got enough time to turn (and we all know Tom has the turning time of the Queen Mary!) Keogh said after Saturday's game that what Lampard wants the players to do is express themselves, show their personalities - or words to that effect. Tonight they did just that. It was lovely to watch. 

I hope we can take the confidence that tonight will give us into the weekend's league performance. If so, I  think we will beat Hull's first team as well.

Shame I had to wade through all that boring "Lawrence and Mount are no good" chat to get to the @angieramreport.

Sounds great stuff tonight. The hopes are starting to build. But February made me shiver.

The topic came about when somebody mentioned or suggestee Lampard now has a selection headache in the wide areas, and especially for this weekend.

In my mind and based on performances so far it should be two of either FloJo, Bennett and Waghorn.

Lawrence is fortunate that the abovementioned all would probably prefer to play on the right.

However, wirh FloJo out wide left, at least we’d have an option willing to go on the outside.

Lawrence must be a nightmare to play with as a centre-forward. He ballhogs, runs into traffic, head down, doesn’t spot free runners, uses your own movement as a decoy and above all is extremely wasteful.

There is a good player in there, I believe, but he needs a lot of coaching. I guess not all of it is his fault, afterall he has been playing under Nigel Pearson, Mick McCarthy and Gary Rowett he isn’t used to having to play for the team. He’s probably been implored by those dinosaurs to be selfish, and apply ‘individual magic’.

Until he learns how to be a team player, and less selfish, he has no place in Lampard’s best eleven for me because right now he’s a liability and provides more harm than good.

43 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The topic came about when somebody mentioned or suggestee Lampard now has a selection headache in the wide areas, and especially for this weekend.

In my mind and based on performances so far it should be two of either FloJo, Bennett and Waghorn.

Lawrence is fortunate that the abovementioned all would probably prefer to play on the right.

However, wirh FloJo out wide left, at least we’d have an option willing to go on the outside.

Lawrence must be a nightmare to play with as a centre-forward. He ballhogs, runs into traffic, head down, doesn’t spot free runners, uses your own movement as a decoy and above all is extremely wasteful.

There is a good player in there, I believe, but he needs a lot of coaching. I guess not all of it is his fault, afterall he has been playing under Nigel Pearson, Mick McCarthy and Gary Rowett he isn’t used to having to play for the team. He’s probably been implored by those dinosaurs to be selfish, and apply ‘individual magic’.

Until he learns how to be a team player, and less selfish, he has no place in Lampard’s best eleven for me because right now he’s a liability and provides more harm than good.

I tend to agree, personally I hope Lawrence can score 8-10 goals by January and another club haven’t seen the negative aspects of his game and we can get a very tidy profit on him

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

My money is that Lawrence is in the team on Saturday, we are blessed and have good options for wingers this season it appears, frank knows that scoring goals is good for the team even if others don’t realise that is the object of the game ?

9 great chances on the highlights

️waghorn goal,️ jozefzoon goal,️ marriott one on one,️ mount volley, ️marriott diving header, ️jozefzoon goal, ️jozefzoon, ️waghorn / holmes offside goal, ️mount goal

Remember when we only had two shots in the entire match? ????

5 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Waghorn played class did the Martin job and caused there defence problems by getting in behind too. 

Josefzoon is amazing. His skill is out of this world. If you haven't seen the goal please watch it.

Mount again. Phenomenal all game. 

Well done to Holmes too who played very well when he came on.

For me Waghorn, Huddlestone, Malone and Josefzoon to replace Nugent, Ledley, Forsyth and Bennett Saturday. 

Yes let’s hope so ?

Archived