Hull (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

Derby blood

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

dribbledribbledribble ducks under headers, jumps out of challenges and uses wide open team mates as decoys for his own glory.

Probably a good player in there, we found one in Ibe eventually but I can't see how 3 goals make up for all the bad play that's made us a weaker team.  

Everyone picks him for their starting 11 though. Why?

Limited ‘real’ competition to date.  This could be said about many of our players though.  I won’t get too carried away yet, but Lampard appears to be creating a squad where everybody knows they need to be on top of their game or they are not guaranteed their position next game. Other than Mount and Carson l would say all the other 9 spots are still up for grabs.

For the anti-Lawrence brigade. Some of the criticisms are indeed valid but do you really see the top scorer being dropped so easily? Frank & Jody aren't idiots, I'm sure they're also aware of his technical deficiencies but throwing him out of the team so soon is an easy way destroy a player's confidence.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I agree with Bris. Lawrence has been poor in general play.  His ego and selfishness irritate me. 

This is what I really don't understand. If a lot of Derby fans had anything to do with it, the likes of Lawrence and Mount wouldn't get near the side - yet remove them and you will have removed most of the goals. Yet the manager keeps picking these seemingly useless players.

Perhaps he is a little more shrewd than the average fan.

5 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

And his quality on the ball, and his work rate and determination, and his quality set piece delivery, and the way he creates space for others, and the way he battles against stronger, bigger midfielders and still gets the ball, and the way he leads the high press. Come on man, if you genuinely believe he contributes nothing besides goals, then my god.

For what it’s worth, I always liked Darren Bent.

I like Mason too. I never said he was a bad player.

But let’s not pretend he’s had anywhere near the influence we were hoping for.

So far, he’s been a passenger in most games I’ve seen.

But he wouldn’t be the first quality player to go missing in our midfield.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He'll see it if Lawrence doesn't improve massively.

Rowett needed him because of his ability to dribble for miles on his own. Suited Rowett's counter attacking style. 

It's a bit like when some of us were getting slated last year for moaning about Rowett. Now people are allowed to say those things. 12 months ago you were an "expert on football manager" if you questioned anything he did. Now look, everyone knows better. 

There’s time and potential for Lawrence to improve. He’s scoring goals which isn’t a bad starting point.

But yeah, you’re right about the current Rowett stance. Oh how they mocked and sulked.

Cracking result tonight though.

Just now, Jourdan said:

Keep looking at the scoresheet every week - see if you can spot him there.

For me Mount, Carson & Huddlestone are the only guaranteed starters. None of those 3 have an equal or better replacement. There's too much quality & competition for everyone else in the squad.

Looks like complacency won't be a theme for this season.

Still some very sloppy passing at the back. This was a full 2nd team for hull, so it won't be as easy on Saturday.  

Hudds took a long time to get going. Doesnt look fit but has the class

Dickhu could easily ave scored one, but we coasted for most of the 2nd half until Sherlock came on.

Awful crowd. Probably 3-4000.

We'll done the rams support !!

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Think you are little on your own here! ... But its football... everybody can have their own opinion... 

(your not Rowett are you?) ?

44 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lawrence doesn’t deserve a spot for scoring two freekicks, both of which were goalkeeper errors.

He’s been our worst player in general play this season. In a possession-based team, with midfielders pushing up and attacking fullbacks going on the overlap, he’s an utter liability as he gives the ball away far too cheaply.

Don’t agree one little bit. Keogh must be pleased (i have no issue with him either) as it leaves him alone. Concentrate on the positives not the negatives . You will always need someone with a spark and he is one of them 

6 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Late to the party on this one. For those that were there, how much were Hull at full strength? And how bad were they in comparison to how good we were?

Thank you Please.

They made 9 changes from Saturday, it was a 2nd string team

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

This is what I really don't understand. If a lot of Derby fans had anything to do with it, the likes of Lawrence and Mount wouldn't get near the side - yet remove them and you will have removed most of the goals. Yet the manager keeps picking these seemingly useless players.

Perhaps he is a little more shrewd than the average fan.

I didn't say anything about Mount. 

Josefzoon, Wilson, Bennett and Waghorn all prefer to play on the right which helps Lawrence's cause.  

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

But he's right. He loses the ball way too often and gets us caught coming forward. The amount of opportunities that get wasted because he doesn't pass. How many goals are we losing out on there? All he does is run into trouble. He ducks out of headers and is dodges 50/50's. He definitely does. 

Then he scores 3 free kicks and that's proof he's played well. 

He sent Leeds and Reading on loads of attacks. Loads. He put his teammates in trouble because he's greedy and selfish. Yes he scored a superb header but it doesn't work well for Derby if we waste loads of attacks and keep getting caught on the counter so that Lawrence can score 10 goals.

He loses he ball because he takes risks. He’s one of the few that will try and force something and he’ll never go hiding no matter how many times it hasn’t come off. 

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Keep looking at the scoresheet every week - see if you can spot him there.

Happy to see that he is scoring goals for us. And I’ll be raising a glass of Port every time he scores like the rest of us.

But I would love to see him have more influence over games and see more creativity from him.

Is that too much to ask?

Archived