George Evans injury, out for 4-6 weeks

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way he went down, the physio work, the way he seemed to regain a little confidence in it after a few minutes of treatment, then the instant grimace when he played the ball with his bad leg, all point towards a ligament injury. Severity isn't set in stone but we know how bad it can be.

I've noticed a few times players regain a little short-term confidence with what turns out to be an ACL injury. Very rarely happens with any other kind of injury.

43 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The way he went down, the physio work, the way he seemed to regain a little confidence in it after a few minutes of treatment, then the instant grimace when he played the ball with his bad leg, all point towards a ligament injury. Severity isn't set in stone but we know how bad it can be.

I haven’t seen the incident, but it seems a bit troubling to me that similar to Winnall he tried to play on.  I would have thought, with the caveat that I am no medic, that with injuries affecting the knee the default should be to get them off the pitch right away and have the extent properly assessed. Not sure the magic sponge works any more.

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I haven’t seen the incident, but it seems a bit troubling to me that similar to Winnall he tried to play on.  I would have thought, with the caveat that I am no medic, that with injuries affecting the knee the default should be to get them off the pitch right away and have the extent properly assessed. Not sure the magic sponge works any more.

My assumption is that that kind of injury feels completely normal when your leg is in a rested position. So the players feel a lot of pain, then the physio works the leg a bit and then all of a sudden it feels OK. Then they try and kick something and they know.

I get what you're saying, but I imagine that severe initial pain followed by it getting better is also what happens when it was just an awkward blow rather than an injury, which could explain why they keep coming back on.

Having said that, one thing I don't understand is I'm fairly certain one of the physios made the substitution hand-signal to the bench the first time he came off. Which actually makes it possible that they sent him back on purely so it was 11 v 11, while Ledley got ready, which seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

I hope it's not serious for the lad. On a larger picture injuries are part and parcel of the game and if Evans is out for a significant amount of time it just serves to highlight our paucity of options in that area.  Comparing this to our massively bloated squad that demonstrates very poor judgement and planning.

25 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I hope it's not serious for the lad. On a larger picture injuries are part and parcel of the game and if Evans is out for a significant amount of time it just serves to highlight our paucity of options in that area.  Comparing this to our massively bloated squad that demonstrates very poor judgement and planning.

Never one to miss an opportunity...……...

34 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

paucity

ˈpɔːsɪti/

noun

noun: paucity; plural noun: paucities

the presence of something in only small or insufficient quantities or amounts.

So Evans, Thorne, Johnson, Huddlestone, Ledley equals 500% coverage of that position

I would say that is generally a sufficient quantity.

Not sure if paucity is really the word you are looking for ?

Archived