George Evans injury, out for 4-6 weeks

MackworthRamIsGod

34 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I hope it's not serious for the lad. On a larger picture injuries are part and parcel of the game and if Evans is out for a significant amount of time it just serves to highlight our paucity of options in that area.  Comparing this to our massively bloated squad that demonstrates very poor judgement and planning.

As a manager I am sure Lampard is aware of the situation, however other players in other teams in the same/similar position go a season or a whole career with out major injuries. I am sure Lampard did'nt think "If Evans get injured I should get in another player, ohh what if he gets injured?, Hmm let's get another one just in case. Hand on what if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Yes we have a big squad, I agree but that is not really all Lampards fault. But to single out hi spoor planning over one position is rubbish

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

paucity

ˈpɔːsɪti/

noun

noun: paucity; plural noun: paucities

the presence of something in only small or insufficient quantities or amounts.

So Evans, Thorne, Johnson, Huddlestone, Ledley equals 500% coverage of that position

I would say that is generally a sufficient quantity.

Not sure if paucity is really the word you are looking for ?

That doesn't cover the whole picture though does it.  

If you've read my post my argument was based around Evans being long term injured that's one down.  Thorne perennial crock.  Huddlestone injured. Ledley dropped for last nights game given his previous abysmal performances. Johnson flatters to deceive. 

Pedantically to answer your question I should have posted feasible alternatives or a paucity of feasible quality alternatives.

6 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

As a manager I am sure Lampard is aware of the situation, however other players in other teams in the same/similar position go a season or a whole career with out major injuries. I am sure Lampard did'nt think "If Evans get injured I should get in another player, ohh what if he gets injured?, Hmm let's get another one just in case. Hand on what if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Yes we have a big squad, I agree but that is not really all Lampards fault. But to single out hi spoor planning over one position is rubbish

I didn't single out anyone in particular if you refer to my post I stated that it's indicative of poor planning not to have sufficient cover in the squad for key positions especially given its huge size.  Whose door that falls at is for you to attribute.  

9 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

That doesn't cover the whole picture though does it.  

If you've read my post my argument was based around Evans being long term injured that's one down.  Thorne perennial crock.  Huddlestone injured. Ledley dropped for last nights game given his previous abysmal performances. Johnson flatters to deceive. 

Pedantically to answer your question I should have posted feasible alternatives or a paucity of feasible quality alternatives.

So you'd want us to sign an extra DM for the sake of it, or in case our 5 other capable players are unavailable? Ledley is more than good enough, coupled with Huddlestone and Johnson being back soon, there really isn't a need for an extra body and prevent players like Bird from making the step up

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So you'd want us to sign an extra DM for the sake of it, or in case our 5 other capable players are unavailable? Ledley is more than good enough, coupled with Huddlestone and Johnson being back soon, there really isn't a need for an extra body and prevent players like Bird from making the step up

Ledley is more than good enough.  Interesting.

37 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Of stating the apparent? Am not going to be an apologist for that, no. 

Sun's just gone in. Mel's fault or Frank's? We need answers - now!!!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Haven’t always agreed with Inglorious, but he’s got a point. We have lots of players on the books who can play there, but not many who are meant to play there.

Huddlestone, Thorne and Evans are the only true holding midfielders on the books. At present, not one of them is match fit.

Ledley and Johnson aren’t really known as defensive midfielders, and while they can play there, it’s not exactly ideal. Wouldn’t call it square pegs in round holes. Maybe rectangular pegs in square holes...?

We have a weird amount of options in some positions. 5 strikers, all average or better. 4 left backs. 6 wingers if you include Thomas and Holmes. And yet no clear fit, first-choice holding midfielder as of last night.

No one is particularly to blame for this. Chopping and changing managers constantly whilst simultaneously backing them in the transfer market has lead to an imbalanced squad. After one transfer window in a large shake-up, there was always going to be a position or two left weak with no options which truly suit the formation or style of play.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Haven’t always agreed with Inglorious, but he’s got a point. We have lots of players on the books who can play there, but not many who are meant to play there.

Huddlestone, Thorne and Evans are the only true holding midfielders on the books. At present, not one of them is match fit.

Ledley and Johnson aren’t really known as defensive midfielders, and while they can play there, it’s not exactly ideal. Wouldn’t call it square pegs in round holes. Maybe rectangular pegs in square holes...?

We have a weird amount of options in some positions. 5 strikers, all average or better. 4 left backs. 6 wingers if you include Thomas and Holmes. And yet no clear fit, first-choice holding midfielder as of last night.

No one is particularly to blame for this. Chopping and changing managers constantly whilst simultaneously backing them in the transfer market has lead to an imbalanced squad. After one transfer window in a large shake-up, there was always going to be a position or two left weak with no options which truly suit the formation or style of play.

Someone speaks sense at last.  Thankyou. You did summarise far more eloquently what I was trying to put across. 

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

Ledley is more than good enough.  Interesting.

Thought Ledley played well last night when he came on - Sat in front of the defence and did the covering job just as I'd want him to - And did that job pretty well last season

I thought the reason he'd struggled so far this season was the weird way we seemed to be rotating the midfield - I've only seen the Reading and Leeds games before last night but it seemed to be the first time they played a stable midfield - They let Evans/Ledley to the DM work and Bryson and Mount go about being CMs - Thought it worked well

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather have a Thorne in there to break up and create - But in the absence of that Ledley fits the bill as a destroyer in front of the defence for me

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Agree with all that. 

Johnson is not an holding midfielder, Ledley gets away with it some games, others gets exposed wandering. So if Evans is out, we have Huddlestone when hopefully fit and George (if in managers plans?). Either leave we would be vulnerable.

Others would just be square pegs in round holes. Evans injuring himself was bad luck again in that position and may be causing a rethink on Hudson or GT leaving for all we know.

Have we checked under the stairs and at the back of all the cupboards to check we definitely haven’t got a CDM knocking around somewhere? Or did we just have a man look?

The massive squad we’ve got it wouldn’t surprise me if we had one lounging around that we’ve forgotten about. Did anyone actually see Mascarell leave?

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Have we checked under the stairs and at the back of all the cupboards to check we definitely haven’t got a CDM knocking around somewhere? Or did we just have a man look?

The massive squad we’ve got it wouldn’t surprise me if we had one lounging around that we’ve forgotten about. Did anyone actually see Mascarell leave?

Do a straight swap with QPR? Butterfield for their Assistant Manager?

Archived