George Evans injury, out for 4-6 weeks

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

I’m sorry to say the 2018 Thorne is just not mobile enough and even his passing is not a patch on 3 years ago. I would love to be wrong but let’s just accept he is a shadow of the top player he was.

1 hour ago, derbydaz22 said:

Have you forgot how poor he was last season? Pretty sure he played against Mansfield and by all accounts looked off the pace,let’s stop this dreaming about George Thorne being the answer he’s miles away from the first team.

Let's see how he gets on if given the chance before writing him off. Plenty were writing off Fozzy last year and are singing his praises now. Neither player was fit and firing last season and of the players that were healthy, not too many of them covered themselves in glory. 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not sure how true it is. 

But heard the other day that Thorne's attitude and effort in training is all wrong. 

I hope the source is a reputable and trustworthy one if we're bandying rumours like this around the forum. Suffice to say I really hope they are wrong.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Let's see how he gets on if given the chance before writing him off. Plenty were writing off Fozzy last year and are singing his praises now. Neither player was fit and firing last season and of the players that were healthy, not too many of them covered themselves in glory. 

I hope the source is a reputable and trustworthy one if we're bandying rumours like this around the forum. Suffice to say I really hope they are wrong.

Last year, Fozzy was being written off last week!

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I'm sad to hear that - As your sources have often proven to be reliable - But (grasping at straws) there could be other factors here

I've speculated about this for the last 6 months - And unfortunately it's not something you can fix by throwing more games at him

It's worth noting that all football league shirts have a symbol in front of the names this season (MIND) - 1 in 4 people will suffer from mental health problems in their lifetime and it's something which has been roundly ignored in football for years - I think with the sheer number of injuries and set backs he's had in his short career you could understand how that might affect him mentally - As someone who suffers from mental health problems I'd like to think the club might be taking the human approach with him rather than treating him like an asset

Excellent post and well put. My main problem with the club the last few years is how certain players in their prime have been treated. Hoping FL/JM have seen this.

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not sure how true it is. 

But heard the other day that Thorne's attitude and effort in training is all wrong. 

This is all down to interpretation of what attitude means though. One persons attitude, is another ones laziness, is another ones struggling to cope with getting used to being a fully fit member of a team that you’ve had to sit out of for over two years. The word attitude means nothing without the context in which it’s spoken of.

18 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So why did he sign for us then?

I don’t know dude, it was a speculative observation, I’m a massive fan of Thorne and I feel like the issues post that game started around that Xmas when certain things happened blah blah blah it’s in the past. Current stance is I really hope Thorne gets a chance but if he doesn’t then I trust in frank rampards judgement as he knows a hell of a lot more than me ?

21 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So why did he sign for us then?

I think he meant Russell fell out of love with football at that point

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Excellent post and well put. My main problem with the club the last few years is how certain players in their prime have been treated. Hoping FL/JM have seen this.

Yeh - I worry about threads like this where we speculate on what's going on - We assume "head isn't right" means for some reason he doesn't care or can't find motivation - As someone with depression (fairly mild) I can say with absolute conviction that some days it's very difficult to care about anything - Motivating yourself on days like that are hard - And it's a difficult thing to comprehend if you've never suffered from it - So I very much hope that the speculation we go through on this forum never gets back to him if he is suffering from poor mental health

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I get your point but we should play our best XI - Alex Ferguson was famously ruthless in this area, sometimes even when it broke his heart to do it. Not to be a dick about it, but emotion and success are often ill bed fellows.

Sure, we need to recognise these players are just young lads and need support but some of the attitudes around playing a player because he used to be good / was born in Derby / is a young lad needing a go / hasn't played for ages / is coming back from an injury / used to be my favourite* shouldn't come into it.

* - delete as required

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Not sure how true it is. 

That’s different to reports come out post u23 game the other week, where Short praised him and Martin for their attitude.

Just for balance.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, 86 points said:

True. Look how easy it is for stuff to spread, look at Bobby Madely and the dog rumours that someone admitted was made up, even discussed in the national press. 

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I get your point but we should play our best XI - Alex Ferguson was famously ruthless in this area, sometimes even when it broke his heart to do it. Not to be a dick about it, but emotion and success are often ill bed fellows.

Sure, we need to recognise these players are just young lads and need support but some of the attitudes around playing a player because he used to be good / was born in Derby / is a young lad needing a go / hasn't played for ages / is coming back from an injury / used to be my favourite* shouldn't come into it.

* - delete as required

Ofcourse, a manager has to start his best team, but let’s look at the case of Ikechi Anya last season. No matter what you think of him but he was left in the wilderness by Rowett last season, then all of a sudden we are down because of injuries, gets talked up in the media by Rowett, plays a couple of games then goes back into the wilderness. It was wrong because how can he settle or feel part of the team when that happens? There are quite a few examples in Rowett’s reign where a player was treated very poorly by him and it wasn’t picked up.

One thing I liked against Reading in the first game was Pearce in the bench, again we all have our opinions on him as a player, but in the shots of our bench that sky kept showing, he was constantly talking to Given. That’s a good sign to me, because he’s involved and feel part of what’s happening even when they are not playing. That’s what I’m getting at, the players who aren’t playing need to be part of the set up somewhere, and our squad is now too big because 3 managers were willing to cast them off too easily and it’s only human nature that it’ll have an effect on them.

44 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

So, George Evans............

I thought he was very good for the 20 minutes or so that he was on the pitch. Looking to play positive forward passes where he could, not always the obvious ones out to the wing. Looked mobile and energetic. Just hope the injury isn't too serious.

44 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think he meant Russell fell out of love with football at that point

Yeh - I worry about threads like this where we speculate on what's going on - We assume "head isn't right" means for some reason he doesn't care or can't find motivation - As someone with depression (fairly mild) I can say with absolute conviction that some days it's very difficult to care about anything - Motivating yourself on days like that are hard - And it's a difficult thing to comprehend if you've never suffered from it - So I very much hope that the speculation we go through on this forum never gets back to him if he is suffering from poor mental health

Excellent post. Started posting something similar earlier, but it’s a subject that is a bit raw. And when people start down the line of he gets paid loads of money he should be full of the joys of spring, i tend to get a bit annoyed, to put it mildly.

The way injuries have decimated his career, and now looking to be out of the first team picture, I would not be surprised if he’s not in the best place mentally, which is why I’ve been a big advocate of him going out on loan and playing some proper football again.

57 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Ofcourse, a manager has to start his best team, but let’s look at the case of Ikechi Anya last season. No matter what you think of him but he was left in the wilderness by Rowett last season, then all of a sudden we are down because of injuries, gets talked up in the media by Rowett, plays a couple of games then goes back into the wilderness. It was wrong because how can he settle or feel part of the team when that happens? There are quite a few examples in Rowett’s reign where a player was treated very poorly by him and it wasn’t picked up.

One thing I liked against Reading in the first game was Pearce in the bench, again we all have our opinions on him as a player, but in the shots of our bench that sky kept showing, he was constantly talking to Given. That’s a good sign to me, because he’s involved and feel part of what’s happening even when they are not playing. That’s what I’m getting at, the players who aren’t playing need to be part of the set up somewhere, and our squad is now too big because 3 managers were willing to cast them off too easily and it’s only human nature that it’ll have an effect on them.

Agree on this, pretty much to the word. But a player must take his chance when offered to them and make themselves impossible to drop. For those old enough to remember, Peter Beardsley at the 1986 World Cup was an example of this - gets thrown in for a do or die match and completely makes the most of it.

If Anya was good enough he would have kept his place, which is both our points, and only a manager devoid of a plan or understanding of the game would have dropped him again - if you get my point.

Archived